Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#136 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

No golfing until the end of this week, once the physical tune up was completed and another very speedy recovery was the result. Which was followed by nothing more than chipping and putting practise to keep this match winning ability in a reliable state.

Today the desire to have a walk and play nine holes is there but has been put on hold in favour of a driving range workout. Taking the six iron out of the bag only and hitting two lots of twenty balls today was enough. Once again discipline was a key, putting the desire to play golf on hold and working on improving the identified weakness from the past weeks, Greens In Regulation.

The first lot of twenty balls had a 25% accuracy grouping in the ten metre diameter target area. Not a concern as I was loosening up and certainly a little tentative following the physical tune up.Taking that into account there was another positive as well from the first twenty balls, the club distance was back to the 140 metres mark after the first 5 balls hit. After walking out and picking up the balls the second set was began and this returned a 55% grouping in the target area and the distance was spot on from the first ball, continued the consistency from start to finish.

It was a very short session that did no damage to the recovered bits and delivered physical results from the action as well as confidence. Still tempting to have done more, the decision to stop and be satisfied with what was delivered was the right one. 

Tonight is club presentation night and I will receive the Club Champion award and see my name up on the honour board. That is why I am happy with today's session "less is more" has not let me down once this season when it mattered.

• Weetbix, iRON MiCK and Joe79 like this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#137 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Superb weather some time to spare and the golf course call was answered with relish today. Discipline was the key, I wanted to have a walk around and play some holes. What was needed was to put the time into chipping and range work, so when I play some holes it is very enjoyable. 

The 'Need" won and the chipping session was a comfortable 90 balls. Then ten more to put the results to the test when tired. The last ten balls were all either in the hole or 30 cm or less putts. Then to the driving range dear readers, albeit for 20 balls then play a few holes was the "Want" message.

Again the discipline won out and 60 balls were put to good use working on improving the greens in regulation average. This is vital to play to single digit handicaps and getting pars and birdies. Started with the six iron and the first twenty hits showed the benefits of the past practice. 50% in the ten metre target area and the rest not far off in easy chipping to the hole distance. Then a move to the 4 iron and 4 hybrid for the next twenty. This resulted in the hybrid going out of the bag, have been carrying it as well as the four iron, to cover the lack of capability and confidence for the past few months.

Next was the 5 wood and the twenty balls with this club was a great finishing touch to a valuable and enjoyable range session. Started to fade the ball in the last few hits with the four iron session and the start of the 5 wood session. It was a technical error. I was beginning to bend the elbows as I was hitting the ball and hitting across it. Most likely caused by tiredness, identified now and a note made to remember why I have a set technique. The last ten balls all were targeted on correction of the technical error. The last ball hit, finished in the one metre diameter target circle, perfect.

If you want to play your best golf that is why practice has to be a priority. Many golfers are fitter, more capable and athletic than I am and play good golf with much less effort. I win events and championships and have done so for the past seven years. Only by practicing well to make my golf game better under pressure than many other golfers. 

Edited by Talart, 20 November 2017 - 06:43 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#138 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

The weather is a definite plus for golf exercises at the minute. Making the most of it after a wet and windy winter with spring not that pleasant either for sporting pursuits either. This morning was again an example in good discipline benefiting golf preparation. One of the main facets of my practise, it is not random doing it because it must be done.

Having a passion for practicing is what makes it enjoyable and not a dreary drudge of going through the motions. There is always an identified golf purpose for why I am out hitting balls or exercising.

This morning I did play half a dozen holes, it was not comfortable. I was not settled in fact a lot of nerves about doing the walk and hitting balls. That was from the pain and recovery experience of the past week. Eventually after a short chipping session, it was time to front up face the fear and tee off. End result was four greens in regulation, and one a metre off the target that was a chip and putt par. The practise has proven it's effectiveness all in a round that I was not comfortable in doing.

There was another facet identified as lacking, drives off the tee. In the past weeks it has been very good. The injury has just placed some doubt in my mind and as was shown in the reticence to play a round it was unfounded. All comes back to confidence and that is what my practice is supplying. In fact two of the best shots were 4 irons on the green and that showed a massive turn around from past months. 

The rest of the week is all very casual, the hard work has been done in the past fortnight especially. It is so simple to have a regime of practise that is proven over the years to get the result I want, To play my best Golf. Friday will do nine holes in the chook run for the social aspect. Then Saturday the Club Open and Sunday the, Village Classic Invitational.

A cart is hired for both days to counter the inability to walk 36 holes, even 18 is a bit of a task at the minute. On Thursday I am off to have a CT scan and see if there has been a significant degradation in the old injuries. Met  with the Doctor yesterday, had a long discussion about the prevalence of flare up now happening compared to five years ago. Sure it may be a problem or it may be manageable if I make the effort. http://www.mytpi.com...ack_pain_part_1

"The lower back is rarely the original cause of the pain! It may be the current source of the pain, but it’s rarely the cause of the pain. More often than not, abnormal motions or forces coming from adjacent or distant areas of the body force the lower back to do excessive work until it completely breaks down itself. In other words, the lumbar spine is usually the area that is being unnecessarily overworked to the point of injury. It is basically the over-used and over-abused worker who just goes and goes until he or she breaks."

Fuzzy Zoeller, George Archer, Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus, Ray Floyd, Jerry Pate and Seve Ballesteros are among the more prominent professional players to have suffered from back pain and injury in recent years. These seven golfers also have something else in common: Each has won at least one of the four major tournaments - the Masters, the United States Open, the British Open and the PGA Championship.

​Nothing is over until all of the sensible and practical things are done to succeed. Golf is a game that makes my life better, it inspires me to improve to play and that benefits my life in general.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#139 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

It is golf time at last after the weeks of practise, training and analysis, the weekend has finally around the corner to play the game.

Today was the final practise session in the morning, the shots played were not the focus it was all about the mental condition. Fifty balls chipping, followed by fifty putts and then twenty four balls hit on the range with six iron, five wood and driver.

Chipping and putting went fine, loosened me up and got the mind focused on technique and ball striking. All my preparation has been based on past experience and knowledge from other golfers over the past years. Many past single digit golfers told me how they could no longer keep doing the practise required to maintain and improve the handicap. Which is my experience of the past season. The knowledge learnt was, all a golfer needs to do is practise and they will play appropriate golf to their capability.

So my past weeks have all been about practicing to get my capability tuned and reachable, which has been achieved. My GA is now 13.2, dropped .4 following my last 18 hole round a couple of weeks ago. Still 4 strokes more than where I was a year ago but that is a number not a capability. 

This morning's practise session was for for confidence and comfort. I have built up my quality and standards to hit fairways then greens in regulation with the practice regime and golf analysis detailed in past weeks. I had concerns and this morning they were dealt with. Would I be able to hit the fairway with the driver? Would I be able to hit the greens? Would I be able to chip in, or one putt?

The number of balls I hit was irrelevant it was all about comfort and setting my confidence in stone. It was fantastic to stand up on the tee loosen up then hit through the clubs to the one stick I had done no practise with, my driver. Then hit six balls and they all were on the fairway,  all of them were not perfectly struck. Even so the mis-hits were fine and the adjustments went even better. 

This weekend I will play my best golf.

Edited by Talart, 24 November 2017 - 11:48 AM.

• Commish and iRON MiCK like this

#140 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Home from day one of the two days of competition this weekend. It has been six weeks of training and practise with the first benchmark Friday afternoon's nine hole chicken run and a credible 18 points, with one hole wiped. As expected the past weeks of preparation provided a stable and reliable golf experience in this final post competition round.

Had a restful nights sleep ready for my tee time of 10 am in the Robe Open, after following the established golf warm-up routine in the morning. Light walk of 15 minutes, 25 balls into the driving net and thirty odd chips into the net in the give up. Finished with putting at the club house. Then the usual post game socializing with the 50 plus golfers arriving from other clubs, some not seen for 12 months, others for the first time. 

In the B grade (10-19 handicap) section of  the field playing off 13. Finished the day 6 over the card, 75 off the stick, Nett 62, winning the B grade easily. Personally that is all the proof needed to show that what I do works. The same post round preparation, training and practise schedule, as used for winning the Club Championship earlier in the year.  The A grade was won with a 67 off the stick equaling the course record, second place 69, a par round. That is the difference between me and the guys I will be playing among in the Village Classic Invitational beginning Sunday morning.

This weekend I equaled my best golf score and tomorrow is another day.

Edited by Talart, 25 November 2017 - 08:28 PM.

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

#141 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

What a great golfing weekend, the winning result with 75 gross (nett 62) in the B Grade 10-19 handicap was followed up with not coming last in the 18th annual Robe Village Classic Invitational (3hcp or less) Winning the Robe club championship includes a place in the field as part of that success.

To show how far out of my depth my place in the field put me here are the following results of the Robe Open events. Most of the Invitational field come a day early and play in the Open in, A grade which is a 9 handicap or less grade. Over the past 18 years many of the winners have gone on to professional careers, it is not a casual golfing event it is played in the true competitive spirit. With very substantial vouchers as prizes for amateur golfers. I won the Open in 2015 with 76 Gross, the last year it was an event which did not include the Invitational golfers. This win included the reward of a place in the 2016 Invitational event. 

The Open on the Saturday in 2017 was won by a past winner of the Classic, equaling the course record of 67 off the stick, Second place was a 69 (Course Par) and third place 73. There it is, my winning B grade score was still 2 strokes behind third place in the A Grade! This was not intimidating at all dear readers. To have the honour of playing in this caliber field was hard won reward. 

The Village Classic was won by the runner up in the Open the day before. Starting with seven birdies on the front nine, he finished with a new course record of 65, 4 under the course par.

My 2017 season is completed at this very minute I am amazed at the changes the past two days of golf have delivered. This season has been bloody difficult physically and mentally yet I managed to get significant golf results. Here is the amazing turn around from the past six weeks effort and victory. I have started training for the 2018 Southern Ports Golf Week http://www.southernportsgolf.com/

Feb 24th - Mar 3rd. As well as setting the target of reaching a 3 handicap and earning an invitation to the Classic in 2018!

For the past two season by this time of the year I am totally broken and barely able to swing a club. This year I had to play in a cart in both the open and club championships to get the victories. Instead of saying this is the norm for me now I am seriously exploring the options that I can get back to walking the course for 36 hole events again. I can do 18 holes at the minute, physically I cannot follow up with the second 18 at all over two days.

The CT scan last week is the beginning of getting the medical diagnosis correct. The rest is up to me 3 months to lose 10 kg and drop nine strokes. Yes dear readers after the weekends golfing I am back to a 12.5 GA from 13.7 on Saturday. Can I do it at the minute this is a goal the reality and program is to be sorted out in coming months.

Every November for last two years and up until two months ago I was golfed out. This year believed my physical limit was reached and accepting that golf was a confirmed declining competitive sport for me. All it took was six weeks of doing the work, winning another event and waking up this morning fit enough to complete an hour walk before breakfast. have no doubts, there is a few twinges and stiff spots but I am not aching or in pain, even now 4 hours later.

So there it is dear readers, this golfers dreams, ambitions and limits were achieved and reached in 2017 season. The acceptance of having to face the reality of stepping back and enjoying the game as best I can is still there and understood. Yet, until I have done another three months of going for the gold again, this golfer is still bloody hungry for more success.

• Madam and iRON MiCK like this

#142 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

How does a golfer progress at the amateur level? For us, the game is not bread and butter. Golf is not what puts food on the table or provides a roof over the head for comfort and security. Yet, the desire to improve is there, the need to succeed comes in at various levels depending on the individual. It is the defining point of golf, it is an individual sport.

From the very beginning in 2009, I began to educate myself as an individual to play my best golf.The improvement and successes from winning championships, club events, open events and Masters games event are testament to that effort and my way of playing golf. Even so the discipline required at times is surprising to keep within my limits of possibility and capability. As the desire to just play golf at times is all I want to participate in.

This week has been done inside my physical and practical limits. As much as I wanted to do more golfing right now, is an exercise with a twelve month goal, in quarterly segments. All of the practical and logistical preparations are easy to set up. The mental aspect of golf is the defining point between failure and success. hence as thought is timeless i feel no pressure in taking it slow and steady to progress to me next golf goal.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#143 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

No golfing this past weekend. After the chiropractic treatment on Friday and the remarkable effect that had discretion was the sensible path to chose. Once again the focus was upon my hip and groin problems and that has led to me standing taller with immediate effect. 

The follow up appointment with the doctor today was good with regard to my back and the long term injury effects. Yes it is a fact there is deterioration, yes it is a fact that I am in less pain than I was twenty years ago before the deterioration began to take effect. Further X-ray are not needed the Hip/Groin problems is part of the Right adductor tendonosis identified in a 2014 Ultra Sound. I would appreciate an Ultra Scan of my left hip but that was not approved, just have to deal with that decision in my own time and way. "Adductor tendonitis is a condition characterized by tissue damage and sometimes swelling to the adductor tendon at its attachment to the pelvis resulting in groin pain. Most patients with adductor tendonitis heal well with appropriate physiotherapy and return to normal function in a number of weeks. Tendinosis is a noninflammatory degenerative condition that is characterised by collagen degeneration in the tendon due to repetitive overloading. These tendinopathies, therefore, do not respond well to anti-inflammatory treatments and are best treated with functional rehabilitation. The best results occur with early diagnosis and intervention. Occasionally, rehabilitation can take significantly longer and may take many months in those who have had their condition for a long period of time." 

Of course due to late identification and lack of defined treatment details offered or supplied it is up to me to follow this up. Yes dear readers that is a fact of life when it comes to medical service. When it comes to golf nothing is left out in my search for improvement.

Today was a new adventure after a casual six holes in the morning. I am going to pay with a little stiffness tonight following a 60 ball range session this afternoon. This was brought on by a new set of irons. The Taylor Made RSi 2 set are fine make no doubt. For a bit of a change as I relax I have been hitting my Powerbilt Scotchblade set. Enjoy the extra distance these deliver but they take a bit more work to play well with. A mate of mine has just added a set of Nike Vapor combo pro irons to his bag dropping out a barely used set of blades. Always enjoy a hit with different clubs and these have been a pleasure.

So much so it was a trip back to the future, in 2009 I won my first of three club handicap championships. Playing off a high to mid 20's hcp I think, hitting a three iron off the tee. Did not even carry a driver then dear readers. Hitting the 6 and 5 irons on the range I just had an urge to use the three iron in the set. I have not even carried this iron for years most sets stop at a four iron and hybrids are in golfers bags.

Twenty balls later and the distance was good and the accuracy was great only four trckled off the fairway into the rough. Distance obviously was varied max 180 metres, most 170 metre mark, it is summer and a lot more run so I an keen on gaming the three iron. I have a mate who won a few championships in his day (2 hcp) and used a 2 iron off the tee. With my improved golfing ability seven years later I am going to explore this direction over summer.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#144 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

A busy week followed the range session on Monday and that combined with some common sense kept me away from golfing. Which was beneficial in it's own right, feeling my body recover from the effects of the range session was great. Fact was it really did take some effort out of me. The stiffness and soreness which resulted from the iron session abated after a couple of days and there was no other physical aggravation causing discomfort.

Mentally there was some concern that I had gone too hard, again. Which after today's nine hole round I can say I have not hurt myself and the current golfing plan has passed the first test. At this stage Sunday is going to be a competition round and looking forward to it. The Nike Irons are sweet to game but I am a club shorter in distance, after today's experience. Thanks to past experience with current irons sets I checked out the specifications. Nike Vapor Pro; 6 Iron 31 degrees loft, (4 iron 24 and 8 iron 39, PW 47), Taylormade rsi 2; 6 Iron 27 degrees loft, (4 Iron 21 and 8 iron 35 degrees, PW 45) Yes, dear readers a 4 degree variation and the three iron in the Nike set is 21 degree loft! 

Also the shafts are one centimeter shorter than my Powerbilt Scotch-blades and half a cm shorter than my Taylor made RSi2 set. The distance variation in clubs is minor compared to the accuracy and ease of playing them. it only took a 15 holes of golf to get comfortable with hitting balls and discover the loft variation.

"Nike said they had re-invented the muscle back in the Vapor family of irons. most blades have the majority of the head weight in the hosel of the club and therefore the Centre of Gravity (CG) is towards the heel of the clubface. If you hit the ball from the centre of the face, you were effectively missing the sweetspot.

Tiger Woods knew this and Nike drilled into the toe of his club's and a heavy tungsten weight inserted and covered up to move the CG into the centre of the iron. This will also slow the toe of the club down, so you need to have Tiger's power in order to play a club like this, which is why no-one does it in blades for us mere mortals.

With the Vapor irons, Nike has taken this principle and created what they call a 'Modern Muscle' whereby more weight is added to the toe of the club to move the CG to the centre, but within a club design that could still be called a blade.

Where traditional muscle back irons have more mass in a triangle rising from the centre of the back, the Vapor irons have inverted the triangle and put the weight around it.

The Pro -Combo design. The blade/cavity back hybrid is something Nike do very well and this continues with the Pro Combo, which should suit most single figure golfers. Whilst it looks and plays like a blade, the head actually has a five piece construction of a 1025 carbon steel chassis, RZN inserts, forged steel face, PVD backing and an aluminium medallion.

The mid-sized heads are slightly deeper with a thicker top line and in the 2 to 7 irons there is a small cavity hidden in that modern muscle that is filled with a modified version of the RZN (pronounced Rezin) material that Nike use in their golf balls."

http://www.golfalot....eview-3060.aspx

• iRON MiCK likes this

#145 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Last week began my 6 week competition golf training routine to get tournament ready for Southern Ports golf Week in March. It has became a feature in all my golf success to be able to play my best golf. Today played my first competition round and finished in second place with 37 points. Played well enough off 12.2, to be close to dropping another stroke in the next couple of weeks. Expect to be back into single figure territory again for 2018 the club season, begins in mid March.

Added to the improvement today, was playing with a putter change and sticking to a new game play plan as well. The putter change has been brewing for a while mainly as an alternative to the fat grip on my previous first choice. Putted well today, the fat grip certainly assisted in getting my confidence on the greens back. The game strategy change is centered around my improved capability with all my clubs and playing to strengths. The driver is no longer the first choice off the tee block. Playing with reliable accuracy off the tee and with second shots in the same category of accuracy. Greens in regulation are supported with the strength and the score benefits.

Made several mistakes though, Stableford is very forgiving for golfers who are regaining form. There was one wipe and two or three single pointers in the 37 point tally. Still coming to grips with the Nike Vapor Pro blade set. The loft on the clubs is greater than my previous set used. IE the Taylor made Rsi 5 iron is the Nike 4 iron. Following the last three days of practice I began to notice the summer conditions, as well as my improved strength and technique I can hit the ball as far with the increased loft Nike irons from 6 to PW reliably and without effort.

Edited by Talart, 07 January 2018 - 09:31 PM.

• iRON MiCK and Lukos87 like this

#146 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

Doing something very out of character today and playing a competition round mid week. Usually this is not possible in the country as we have to work and can only make one day available as golfers to play a comp on weekends. With the summer holiday season in full swing and now the club have in house management of the 'pro shop' a Wednesday morning comp is established to cater for the many visitors and locals who can get a game in.

Not to overlook that for the past 2-3 years I have been so broken down after the club season hitting a competition golf ball in January, has been nigh on impossible. I am approaching today with a little trepidation, not be too concerned about injury more so aware that this is a step up. After Sundays round dropped from 12.2 to 11.7 and the handicap drop is on the way back to single figures. 

Which is the core of why I am taking up the mid week competition rounds. Getting in 6 rounds of real golfing before the end of January will be a great assist in my 6 week program for Southern Ports tournament preparation. 

Realistically I can be down to single digit hcp by the end of January. Then lighten up the golf practice  and increase the physical fitness tuning in February.

The second goal is to put the wind up my fellow club members as defending club champion. Our championship is played at the beginning of the season. After the "Underdog Win" in 2017, being able to enforce my dominance over summer in club competition will be an assistance to my defence. This is not my usual approach to club golf, most of my challengers will be from younger golfers whom I have beaten in match play for club championships. That is enough as it stands.

Personally is the desire to add more scope to my game and get to that 6 handicap figure in 2018. Which I have decided needs to have a greater performance on the competition circuit.   

Edited by Talart, 10 January 2018 - 08:00 AM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#147 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

Fortnight since my last comp round and the break was needed. Physically the strain of playing was bordering on too much. Fortunately the commonsense part of me was well aware of possibility of overdoing it and stopped the pending disaster. Was all good fun though which is the point of playing. Enjoy golfing it is never a task and if it is stop doing what you are doing.

Today got out for a casual 6 holes and enjoyed the time spent hitting the ball, green in regulation, putting well, drives good off the tee, generally playing effortless golf. The break in the last fortnight was brought on in part to regain that aspect of my game. With the unusual capability of being able to play at this time my eyes were wide open to not stuffing up. Which is why I am so damn happy with golf at the minute, having fun and playing well enough to see that my game has a stable base and ready to prepare for season 2018.

• Madam and iRON MiCK like this

#148 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Another casual and relaxing 6 holes this afternoon. Plan had been to play 18 hole comp round until Telstra internet connection failed. With 90 minutes spent on the phone to be told at the end it was a problem with the Telstra service and their technicians were working on fixing the problem! Not a lot of happiness, another phone call was required 3 hours later after the Ethernet returned and the WiFi would not connect. The world did not end though and golf was possible in the end. 

Not playing the Taylormade RSi2 set, the Nike Pro Vapor set are still being used and six holes for 2 over was a good result. Again I will mention that being able to play at the minute is still a very pleasant surprise. That my good form is beginning to come through is very encouraging. Admission here, I am being very critical of my golfing execution scoring 2 over after six holes, playing off 11.7 GA handicap and not satisfied is how hungry to get my game back I am.

Off the tee is ragged, just not able to get it consistent at the minute with the Driver. Greens in regulations are certainly getting achieved, chipping and putting is good as well. Yet again not satisfied with this result either. There is no pressure to lift at all again enjoying the golf is what is being focused on. Analyzing the results critically is the nexus of preparing for golf season 2018. The other focus is fitness and conditioning, especially the tendonosis injury which after the past two weeks is markedly improved.

Edited by Talart, 24 January 2018 - 07:24 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#149 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Busy few weeks on and off the golf course, resulted in a delay in posts on my last two 18 hole rounds. Having settled into the pre-tournament training routine I began a few weeks ago once again the targeted results have been delivered. This is the benefit of what i learnt from the coaching last year in both golf technique and mental attitude from a former European ladies touring pro. This is it in a nutshell, "Golf is not luck it is playing a reliable consistent game and be confident."

Two weeks ago I had 34 points with 13 on the front nine and 21 on the back nine, a frustrating round. The front nine I was hesitant in shots and simply still being distracted by being able to physically play golf in January. On the front nine, I wasted some great shots with incomplete shots following. Caused by being mentally hesitant in expectation of hurting myself, better described as fearful! 

Last week continued the standard practise routine, which is based around establishing an accurate and reliable short game and putting. Practicing the long game mostly in the net concentrating on the technique to hit the ball straight and consistently. Some may say that this is risky not being able to see ball flight, it can be if your technique is wrong mine is not. Not changing the practise routine that has won championships and open events. The effectiveness of it was proven in Sundays round.

One of the things I need in golf is a competition challenge and something to win. Fact is the past few weeks as often happens in summer with better weather and playing stableford, 40+ scores are expected by the lower handicappers that struggle in stroke events. This makes it difficult for golfers who have reached their minimum handicap and at best will get 1-2 extra points (37-38 max)  in a stableford event. Hence i have entered the AGC online competition to give myself something worthwhile to chase.

This week an AGC winning effort with 37 points 18 front nine and 19 on the back. Good enough for a ball in third place behind 40 and 41 point scores from the winners. Not any bad feeling by me both are mates and played very well. Having the target score to chase certainly had me make some great putts and chips to the hole. The practise routine sets up the reliable capability to get par scores. There were a few holes that had me looking at 1 point scores, which became two points with accurate chipping and confident putting. To sum up the day was the result on the last hole. I needed a par to get 37 points on a 320 metre par 4 light uphill bend to the green straight into the steady 7 km to gusts up to 13km wind. With out of bounds on right and a line of Cypress pines on the left. Played a solid drive expecting a slight fade towards the pines, it stayed straight. Left with a 155 metre shot to the green with the right edge of the green visible. Played a 3 wood that landed 1.5 metre of the green opposite the pin. With a breaking downhill shot to the pin of 6 metres I putted from off the green and dropped a 10cm putt to get the needed result. It took concentration, confidence and reliable ability to get the score and was never in doubt.

As an aside now on 11.2. Down from 13.2 on 25th of November when I had 74 gross and 45 points. Have played eight rounds in that period. Not pushing myself at all at the minute, setting up for the season start in early March still a month away.

Edited by Talart, 12 February 2018 - 10:54 AM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#150 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

Managed to get out yesterday afternoon and spend some time hitting the driver. The inconsistency with this club has been a concern for some weeks, getting to work on it had to follow my training regime though. Was not a major session only 30 balls on the practise fairway. Broken up into a set of 20 and a set of ten. The first few were varied swings more intent on getting the rhythm settled and body loose.

Even so with this initial approach the major problem of the past rounds with a the pull to the left was less frequent only 3 balls taking that direction. Another 6 found the fairway and the rest were varied out to the right with gentle fade/slices. As usual this was worked through and found the same error had crept into my swing off the tee. It is again a throwback to the influence of protecting myself from irritating past injuries. What I do is in the follow through is pull it up short and also bend my elbows.. Stopping the fluid follow through and cutting across the ball as well causing a slice at worst and fade at best. So out i walk and pick up the balls and return to hit the next ten balls.

First five were on the fairway three straight and two with slight fades. I should stop and have a rest, yet prefer to push through and pressure myself initially. The next five are spread with three fading not sliced to the right and two pulled to the left. Tired shots are easy to make errors with but even so the faults were minor and the problem has been identified and can be corrected. One of the causes is the over exertion when hitting, trying to smash the ball instead of letting technique do the work. Steady back swing then through the ball all the way ,not puling up short and causing the fault. Finding spare time and space on the course to practise has been a problem of late. Now the peak holiday season is over I can get out and do the work to settle back into my winning technique.

Watching a video of Sir Nick Faldo comparing long irons and hybrids this morning and that will be another bag change in coming weeks for me. I am playing well with the long irons at the minute. It is summer though and a coast course is always affected by wind on a mild day 13-15km gusts. Replacing the iron and adding the hybrid will be a few weeks away. Need to have a few hits in the mean time to settle into the change easy when the transition comes. I am favoring keeping the 4 iron and adding a 3 hybrid in fact. 

Edited by Talart, 16 February 2018 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users