Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

After many seasons of starting a fresh record on the forum each January, the name change has came in 2016. The single digit handicap is no longer the goal, it is a reality in my golfing now and all that is required is the GA confirmation.

The motivation every season for me has always been the direct results of winning golf competitions, club events, monthly medals, championships, Masters Games events, Open events and tournaments. Last season I achieved back to back gold and silver in the masters games, back to back club handicap championships as well as monthly medal, club events and opens. Added to this was the very profitable action of backing myself in Caddie Challenge especially. 

Whilst the handicap and my level of golf capability is important so is winning which is why I enjoy putting the effort in to play at the best I possibly can.

This year January has remained in working at  the Gym focus as far as golfing goes. Time to do much else is not available with the tourist season in full swing.Keeping the work and golf balance means very little golf is possible. The past three days though the time was there to get out and play 6 holes the first two days and today 9 holes from 6am. The results has been excellent with a 2 over 37 this morning off the stick.

The fitness and flexibility from the gym is invaluable. At last I have been able to simply enjoy the ease of swinging a club from the effort. Importantly I swing easy and with power no longer stepping over the line in the pleasure of now being able to smash the ball. This was a mental discipline and it was great fun to do this in the last few months of 2015. Except in the Open event which I won and the last 18 hole club comp. which I also won.

The plan for season 2016 is done and there are only a few coaching and practise details to finalise before getting back on the course.

• Madambo, AhBen and ink like this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#2 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Do you have a specific work out you do ?
I need to work on balance flexibility and core strength but am to lazy, I've started swimming laps every second week to keep the fat off but I doubt that'll help with the golf.

#3 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

Mouldy has another lesson coming up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15337 posts
  • LocationEating and Drinking somewhere

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I need to work on balance flexibility and core strength but am to lazy, I've started swimming laps every second week to keep the fat off but I doubt that'll help with the golf.

What fat Luke ?  you're like a stick insect.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

"not sure that makes sense but anyway"

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37566 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

We will still celebrate with you when GL catches up!
HandicapBest result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th WoodlandsGoal: A round at par or better!Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club ChampionBrisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the YearWinner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope IslandWinner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at WoodlandsSouth East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer<p>http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

What fat Luke ? you're like a stick insect.

Haha yeah but that's slowly changing, There's definite overhang forming around the belt line.

#6 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

Mouldy has another lesson coming up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15337 posts
  • LocationEating and Drinking somewhere

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

Haha yeah but that's slowly changing, There's definite overhang forming around the belt line.

Walk around Heidelberg a few times and that will disappear.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

"not sure that makes sense but anyway"

#7 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31518 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

We will still celebrate with you when GL catches up!

Yeah....what are you currently playing off Tal'.    Surely all the wins you had last year....are you down to singles now?

• AhBen likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#8 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

Every little bit of extra excercise helps. I have done three months of a six month in the gym to a specific plan and the result has been amazing. Before that though I spent 6 years increasing the effort at home and the effects were again obvious and made it easier to increase the effort over time. 

My trainer has supplied a routine based around squats, balance ball, weight training that target the legs, glutes, core and flexibility.

#9 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Managed to play at Kingston SE on Saturday in the club par round. My first hit over 18 holes for season 2016 was a success. Finished in 2nd place with a +2 score. Faltered on the last two holes and missed out on a +5 score. No complaints for me this has been the first time in two years I have been able to play competitive golf before mid February. All thanks to the last seven seasons of getting fitter and doing the exercising along the way. Now the first three months of a six month gym program have been completed and the set up for season 2016 is well in advance of any previous time.

Not doing much range work at all instead choosing to enjoy playing golf and the gym routines as a package. Playing 6-9 holes first thing in the morning two to three days a week and working on the golf technique and game without the bucket of balls approach. Getting in some chipping and putting  is all that is being done with any hint of practising. Thank you for your time and attention.

• ink likes this

#10 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

All quiet on the golf front at the minute, with the focus still on the gym routine. The range is looming and I am letting  the comfortable approach of summer work and weather combined set up the time. At this stage three to four gym sessions a week and three 9 hole hits a week has been the way.

This week has been very good so far and the plan is to play Saturday and Sunday 18 hole competitions if work permits. The preparation is all around playing and using the small number of hits to force myself to slow down and take the correct grip, stance and set up for shots. As opposed to the repetition of 50 shots on the range which gets sloppy. Using the need to have a good score in nine holes and make every shot count. Yesterday I played nine in the morning and nine in the afternoon. Both nines were good with the same errors of missed putts, poor shots to the green and still only 5 over for each nine.

It is satisfying to know I am working on my golf game whilst maintaining the focus on fitness training. Sticking to the discipline of this is working as expected, the time frame for results is not a small one either. The expectatins and the capability are on an equal plane for 2016. Thank you for your time and attention.

#11 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32257 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Great stuff...
  • Talart likes this

#12 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ambled out in the nine hole Chicken run yesterday. Had a tune up treatment with some Bowen in the morning and the body was a little unsettled for playing my best golf. Even so finished with 14 points and played very ragged and had fun. Maximum sledging round was the best way to describe the company on the way around. 

Was good fun as always and set me up for today's round at Kingston. Been out and had a good hour of warming up with chipping putting and even 40 plus balls on the range.First session in 2016 and if that is my standard then I will achieve the first goal soon enough. The targets to begin with is to improve my game statistics. Driving accuracy: 44.57% to 55%.  Greens in Reg.: 34.92% to 45% and Putts per round: 33.14 to 31. This is part of the continued winning golf plan for 2016. The results and handicap improvement will come in due course. Thank you for your time and attention.

• AhBen likes this

#13 AhBen

AhBen

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16085 posts
  • LocationHanging off Karrie Webb at the ANA Inspirational

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

In all seriousness, I have stopped eating bread and food with processed sugars for the last three weeks and have lost 3 kegs.

Food I have stopped eating includes, rice cakes, salada, biscuits, icy poles, full srtrength Coke, iced coffees, chips, lollies.

It's either water or Coke Zero, even though it has artificial sweetner, only have 1-2 per day now.

Combine this with swimming you will be happy with the results.
  • Talart likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#14 AhBen

AhBen

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16085 posts
  • LocationHanging off Karrie Webb at the ANA Inspirational

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

Ambled out in the nine hole Chicken run yesterday. Had a tune up treatment with some Bowen in the morning and the body was a little unsettled for playing my best golf. Even so finished with 14 points and played very ragged and had fun. Maximum sledging round was the best way to describe the company on the way around. 

Was good fun as always and set me up for today's round at Kingston. Been out and had a good hour of warming up with chipping putting and even 40 plus balls on the range.First session in 2016 and if that is my standard then I will achieve the first goal soon enough. The targets to begin with is to improve my game statistics. Driving accuracy: 44.57% to 55%.  Greens in Reg.: 34.92% to 45% and Putts per round: 33.14 to 31. This is part of the continued winning golf plan for 2016. The results and handicap improvement will come in due course. Thank you for your time and attention.

Bowen is good isn't it!!!!
  • Talart likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#15 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

In all seriousness, I have stopped eating bread and food with processed sugars for the last three weeks and have lost 3 kegs.

Food I have stopped eating includes, rice cakes, salada, biscuits, icy poles, full srtrength Coke, iced coffees, chips, lollies.

It's either water or Coke Zero, even though it has artificial sweetner, only have 1-2 per day now.

Combine this with swimming you will be happy with the results.

Excellent when people stop eating processed rubbish and eating simple foods how much of a difference this makes to weight and additional 'health' 

Bowen does a great job after 20+ years I still credit it with repairing and modifying so many of my permanent injuries from a MVA in 1982. 

Unfortunately playing on Friday was a stupid idea. Should have rested up and let the treatment run the full course. Was back in this morning to retune the body and will not be doing any gym or golfing for a couple or three days. Played well to begin on Saturday and slowly my game devolved with simply two bad second shots and three poor puts ended up with 32 points. That is the one failing of making errors on a low handicap, small margin for error. Added to the 3-4 strokes which could have dropped in the hole on the green and there is a played to score out the window.

In hindsight the messing up of the Bowen treatment had a lot to do with my fail on Saturday and I am not too perturbed. It was a case once again of over doing what I am capable of. The past four months gym training had been pushing my bodies capability to maintain itself in a painless state. So a few days rest and back to the plan again.  Thank you for your time and attention.

• AhBen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users