• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#1 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3183 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Tonight, during the Hurricanes Renegades match in Hobart, I witnessed brand destruction of a sportsperson of the highest order.

West Indian Chris Gayle must have been reading his own publicity of late as during his post innings interview with Network Ten broadcaster Mel Mclaughlin he made the decision to talk about wanting to come off the field so he could be interviewed by her and then went on to discuss looking into her eyes.

It was a piece of cringe-worthy television that Gayle will likely look back on with regret or at least I hope he does.

It was so wrong in every context and to her absolute credit Mclaughlin, a polished reporter, brushed it off although was clearly pissed off.

Imagine if a male reporter had been talked to like that while interviewing a woman sportsperson in the similar situation.

Gayle might be popular as a perceived ‘cool dude’ capable of great things as a batsman but he has clearly been caught up in his own publicity if he thought that was appropriate in such an interview.

Then to make matters worse Mark Howard, who I personally rate in his role as the host broadcaster in the BBL, went into a sanctimonious rant about the situation.

Now he was fully entitled and right to do so in defence of his colleague but having said a couple of overs earlier that Gayle’s possible groin injury he appeared to be carrying had been possibly as a result of ‘overuse’ of the groin was almost as sexist as the comment made to Mclaughlin. I think we all know where he was coming from with that unnecessary addition.

I hope both (Gayle and Howard) will be reprimanded for their lack of class in what is an otherwise brilliant product. 

While the blokey nature of the commentary fits with the cut and thrust nature of T20 and is generally very entertaining, at a time when there are calls for blatant sexism to eliminated from society never mind sport I think we saw tonight there is still some way to go.

• pegasus2357, Tolmij and hazbeen like this

#2 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

Wasn't aware cricket players were classy.
Quite the opposite,ever been to a match ??
  • Tolmij likes this
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#3 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1266 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Bruce whilst I agree that gayle damaged his brand, I suspect that many at 10, including Howard had an oh **** moment on live to tonight when they realised exactly what gayle meant. Hence the quick apology.

Was more surprised that it wasn't further address post match, particularly when finch was interviewed post game.

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#4 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Bruce is that your writing or a cut and paste from someone else? No G in her surname.

I am sure Twitter will go into melt mode however I am not sure about brand damage or whatever else.

What it did prove is that Chris Gayle is clearly not funny or at worst a knob.

#5 The Gap Wedge Draw

The Gap Wedge Draw

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16514 posts
  • LocationIn the left rough on 7th 105m from pin

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

Gayle is just a West Indian version of Warnie.

Healthy dose of skill, money and ego but devoid of intelligence and morals

• Tolmij, Schmuck, blindman and 1 other like this
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#6 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3183 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:24 PM

Bruce is that your writing or a cut and paste from someone else? No G in her surname.

I am sure Twitter will go into melt mode however I am not sure about brand damage or whatever else.

What it did prove is that Chris Gayle is clearly not funny or at worst a knob.

Sorted Perry - thanks - no I do my own writing - perhaps unfortunately ;)

#7 Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

Storm in a teacup. I suppose it will be front page "news" tomorrow, a lot of "journalists" with nothing better to write about.

Edited by Roy McAvoy, 04 January 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#8 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12105 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:11 AM

My favourite part of it all was the tensport twitter page tweeted how funny it was, and then 11 minutes later say how professional Mel was and then not much longer later, the Gayle is funny tweet was then deleted.
My take on it was that the tweeting kid did the funny one, the suits upstairs got wind of it all and made Howard do the apology and have have the tweet removed.
  • Schmuck, Goldy and Notupnotin like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#9 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6470 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

Geez this country is getting precious. Yeh it was a d ick move but the outrage from all the SJW's is pathetic. Mel is a goddess and she handled herself and the situation with class. But she's known to love the licorice and has been photographed with several WI players over the entire life of the BBL. Move on please.
  • Notupnotin likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#10 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33763 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

Liquorice
  • blindman and Gilbert Grape like this

#11 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2787 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:24 AM

Agree with Matt, over reaction. Geez I reckon Chris Gayle will be crying buckets into his gigantic bag of IPL money. KFC will not give a **** as the BBL is now a cash cow. The PR team will kick into action and swamp it with PC statements and within a week it will be fish n chip wrapper news.

#12 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:51 AM

The BBL is not a sport, it's a TV show and Gayle was treating it with the solemnity it deserves. I suspect he was trying to be funny and failed. The newsfeeds need to be filled by something. A sportsman being a dickhead is not truly newsworthy but we're going to hear a lot more about it.

I don't know how many of you have seen the brilliant film from the 70's called Network about a TV channel. It's 40 years old and couldn't be made today as although it seemed ridiculously fanciful at the time most of it came to pass decades ago. They were making "reality shows" before the phrase was even coined.

This is the "Mad Prophet of the Airwaves" in that movie played by Peter Finch spouting off in the 70's..

Television is a God-damned amusement park! Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business!

See all that stuff inside Homer? That's why your robot wouldn't work.

#13 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27179 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:57 AM

He's just another sportsman who think rules don't apply to him. Just a knob. Have fun, don't be disrespectful.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#14 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12105 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I was talking to my wife about this when I assumed it would all blow up and she made one point I liked was that she said it's not disrespectful to ask a girl for a drink...
That wasn't in the specific context of what Gayle specifically said last night.
She's a clever kid my wife

Edit: whoops, I just saw Tol's post so I should retract what I said

Edited by Bumpun_Beetle, 05 January 2016 - 08:03 AM.

• Ji Bao He and blindman like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#15 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10529 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

There's no doubt Howie's post interview soliloquy was a directive from the powers that be at Ch.10

During the interview you could hear the commentators chuckling in the background.

• Notupnotin likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner