Photo

How Do You Know When Lessons Are Working . And What Should Be A Good Time Frame To See Improvement ?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

When I restarted golf in 2010 I decided to have lessons and my handicap was 36 and I played like it. I had to make big changes to my grip ,stance and everything in between but in 12 months reduced my handicap to 18 with lessons every 8 weeks or so.
In the next 12 months I reduced my handicap to 12 with lessons about every 3 months or so but had a quick chat every time I saw him and when I look at videos of the first lessons to now it is two different golfers swinging.
As time went by I reduced the frequency of lessons but when I hit a plateau I would get a quick tune up to fix minor issues.
I had a lesson a couple weeks ago to fix a couple things and hopefully the changes will help my handicap move again in the right direction and I will see him again soon to reinforce the changes and discuss how to make more improvements in my game.currently my handicap is 8.8 and my lowest was 7.6 mid last year.
  • Francie likes this

#32 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

I'v had three lessons with my new coach, my handicap hasn't changed but I'v noticed a massive difference in the quality of the strike.

I almost never hit them fat anymore, basically a bad shot now for me is thin and long, I'll take that.

I still spray the ball a fair bit so that's the next thing to tighten up.

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#33 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

Should a coach's merit just be based purely on a numbers game?

Eg, whatever handicap number you start off with, to whatever handicap number you reach ......  within say 6 months.

Surely, for those who's golfing aim is simply to reduce their handicap, this would be a true and ideal measure of a coach's worth.

If you want someone to understand you, and to hold your hand, go to a shrink, and not a golf coach.

Just my thoughts .... :)

PS, I've seen people rave about coaches etc, and yet they're handicap rarely changes .. are they just paying someone to be their friend??

I have been through this.  I love my coach but I probably only have 4-5 lessons a year, generally to find the next thing that I am working on improving.  For the last two years, I had been feeling like virtually every aspect of my golf was improving but my handicap wasn't significantly improving.  So by this criteria my coach wasn't helping me, but my experience was that my shots were improving.

I don't want to jinx it, but this year has seen me have a new drop in my handicap, which I view as the culminated effect of the work that I have been putting in over the last two years.

Remember, handicap is a sign of how you are scoring, not necessarily a sign of how you are playing.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#34 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18970 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Isn't that (how you are scoring) ........ what most golfers would use to gauge their performance?

There are a lot of "Race to ...."  threads on here that would point to it.

(I do agree though that scoring certainly isn't everything) :D

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#35 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

I had a lesson this morning. Really the first proper individual lesson I have ever had so I didn't really know what to expect.

-Slight ball position change for driver and fairway woods
-Lowering of tee height for driver. 
-Got told categorically that I was not allowed to use my current 3 wood or 3 hybrid anymore as they are too soft in the shaft which causes issues with my other clubs.

Was hitting them pure after about 5 minutes and the pro is lending me his 3 wood for the weekend so I don't have to use my old one. 

No more hooks for me. 

• RobNewy likes this

#36 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Isn't that (how you are scoring) ........ what most golfers would use to gauge their performance?

There are a lot of "Race to ...."  threads on here that would point to it.

(I do agree though that scoring certainly isn't everything) :D

It absolutely is important long term.  And the point of improving my game is to try to get better scores along the way.  I just don't know that you can always say that that happens in 4 months or 6 months or whatever.

I improved very rapidly from starting on about 32 and coming in to a playing handicap of around 20. But it has been a very slow slog since then to get now down to a playing handicap of 17.  But I only play once per week at most and I have limited time to practice outside of that.  So I try to be realistic about what I can achieve.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#37 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36052 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

My last lesson was in 2012, just prior to the Patto River OOM...that I then proceeded to NAGA. I think I was playing off around 24 at that stage.

I did get one very useful tip re my stance...but since then whatever improvement I have made would have to be attributable to my own learning, I would think. I have a GL of around 13 now, and play off 16 at my own course..which is significantly more difficult than my old course.

I'm not paying for anyone to be my friend...unless I have to...

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#38 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33403 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

My last lesson was in 2012, just prior to the Patto River OOM...that I then proceeded to NAGA. I think I was playing off around 24 at that stage.

I did get one very useful tip re my stance...but since then whatever improvement I have made would have to be attributable to my own learning, I would think. I have a GL of around 13 now, and play off 16 at my own course..which is significantly more difficult than my old course.

I'm not paying for anyone to be my friend...unless I have to...

I wont ask for money.....I'm a cheap friend. -:))
  • Madambo and Goldy like this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#39 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18172 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

What's a lesson?

Sounds like something choppers need.

Anyone got a shag bag full of spare practice spare balls?
  • Francie and Goldy like this

#40 Justlearning

Justlearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1495 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

I had had lessons when I first started playing (in fact I had lessons before I hit a ball on the course).

I approached my lessons with the philosophy that my coach knew everything and why should I question his knowledge.

Drilling his advice in to me makes it easy to get back to the basics when returning from a layoff.  Which I am about to do now.

But there are lessons, and there are lessons.  Having the perfect looking stroke does not make you a master at getting around the course and staying out of trouble.  That's where the big scores are

#41 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8436 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

I had a lesson this morning. Really the first proper individual lesson I have ever had so I didn't really know what to expect.

-Slight ball position change for driver and fairway woods
-Lowering of tee height for driver. 
-Got told categorically that I was not allowed to use my current 3 wood or 3 hybrid anymore as they are too soft in the shaft which causes issues with my other clubs.

Was hitting them pure after about 5 minutes and the pro is lending me his 3 wood for the weekend so I don't have to use my old one. 

No more hooks for me. 

take a visit to see golfguy, and get the shaft flex checked,

then set up 3w head and hybrid with same flex as driver.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#42 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

take a visit to see golfguy, and get the shaft flex checked,

then set up 3w head and hybrid with same flex as driver.

Was thinking about doing that. Not sure what i want yet.

#43 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22527 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

Was thinking about doing that. Not sure what i want yet.

And you won't know until you get proper advice from an expert. Then you can decide, based on appropriate parameters.

#44 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

And you won't know until you get proper advice from an expert. Then you can decide, based on appropriate parameters.

I've already had advice from our Head Pro and have used demo clubs that suit my specs, it's just whether I want to go all out and get the perfect shaft/heads (visiting John/PureForm) or if I want to get something that will be suitable enough off the shelf. 

#45 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1322 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

I had a lesson at yarrabend... Worse thing I ever did. I just went back through my golf link and can see the 6 months after I saw him. Utter rubbish.
I started getting a little better then started getting lessons from a young Friend who is a student of the guy I had my first lesson from.
Since October I have dropped from 16.8 to 12.5 just from working on one thing at a time.
It's been really helpful just being able to ask a question whenever we play which is usually twice a week and he is super clear on what needs to be done. all it costs me is a few caddy rounds a year which I enjoy anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users