Photo

How Do You Know When Lessons Are Working . And What Should Be A Good Time Frame To See Improvement ?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#16 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

I think that it is a bit of both.  You need to respond well to your pro - have a good connection and so on, and in my experience if you see eye to eye, you should be able to immediately appreciate the difference in changes to your swing.  Even with my biggest swing change to date, I could see the difference in the lesson that it would improve my golf, but it took 6 months plus to get consistent in bringing it into play in my regular game.

The second thing is that after the last couple of years I am a firm believer in the fact that you can improve your swing your skills and so on and not see an immediate improvement in your scoring.  I got to my lowest handicap a couple of years ago now, and I haven't manage to get back there, but I think that in a whole range of areas I am a better golfer now than I was there - I am much more consistent throughout the bag for example and make fewer really big mistakes.  So my stableford scores might not have improved overwhelmingly but I would guess that my stroke scores have over the same time period.

Finally, there are many elements in scoring well which are not strictly related to things taught by your pro.  Concentration, course management, ability to keep an even keel and not just give up if you start poorly - all of those things will affect your ability to score.  So your swing and technique might improve markedly but be prevented from improving your scoring because you are getting in your own way.

Deege,

I would add health and fitness to that list. If your not in good health or have fitness issues, its unlikely that you will be scoring very well. Its surprising how health and fitness is taken for granted, you don't appreciate it until you lose it.

#17 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Why would you pay a golf pro in order to make your golf worse?

It should get better immediately, otherwise what's the point. :)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#18 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

Depends on what you want to do , if you have a good swing but you have lost form then yes a lesson should fix it . I my case I have changed my swing so I dont snap hook and so I have a swing that is technically better and not dependent on athletic ability and that wont happen over night .

• AGQ likes this

#19 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

All dependent on what the changes are. I have gone through two grip changes over the years (one of the most drastic things to change), both took at least a month to feel natural. Other parts of the swing took a little bit but still not overnight fixes. Agree if only a slight change you would get immediate effect, but depends on how bad it was to start with. Sometimes you have to step backwards to progress further forward.

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2016 - 95 played

AGD 2014 - 97 played

GA - 2016 - 85 played

GA - 2014 - 90 played

#20 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4587 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

I went to a pro 2 years ago
Sick of hitting high 90 to 110 each round.
Had a series of about 8 lessons. I was over the top with a bad alignment and terrible stance. Casting heaps. Every classic mistake in the book. Also didn't hit a chip pitch bunker or putt properly.
So for two years I've been gradually hitting the ball so much better. Largely removed a lot of flaws. Still same high scores. Drove me nuts.
Then this week went around 9 holes in 39.
So does it take up to 2 years for major swing changes to work sometimes? Are there other factors there? Is that my new mark or will I be back to shooting 100+ next 18?
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#21 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38797 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

The other factor Toph is avoiding comps and not playing a proper full round
  • Francie likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#22 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4587 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

The other factor Toph is avoiding comps and not playing a proper full round

Works for me!

In all seriousness I play as much as I can and would comp twice a week if I could. Every social round I try my best and treat it like a Comp. There's usually money on the line anyway.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#23 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

All dependent on what the changes are. I have gone through two grip changes over the years (one of the most drastic things to change), both took at least a month to feel natural. Other parts of the swing took a little bit but still not overnight fixes. Agree if only a slight change you would get immediate effect, but depends on how bad it was to start with. Sometimes you have to step backwards to progress further forward.

It can be both.  When I went through a major adjustment to my swing when I first started getting lessons, I could immediately see in the lesson that when I managed to make good contact with that set up, my ball striking and flight was much improved.  So I had immediate feedback that this was a good change which would have good outcomes.  However, it took a good six months for me to groove the change so that I could consistently set up properly with the new technique.  I definitely got worse overall before I got better (and then I had to adjust to how the new ball flight and contact affected course management etc), but I also had immediate feedback about how this change would be beneficial to me once I got it tied down properly.

• Madambo and AGQ like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#24 TimRoc

TimRoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

This year I have focused on bettering myself beyond my own self teaching tactics which with the huge amounts of online videos and TV shows (eg - The Golf Fix) is easy to attempt and fail that are around for the modern golfer. This is including fortnightly lessons with a pro. Straight from the first lesson I have found instant improvement on some things while other parts are a work in progress. 
I am currently playing off 15.5 and hoping to be in single figures by mid-year. I'm a believer of the thought that so many of us carry our ego's to our practice and on the course and gets in the way of admitting you need quality help and that it may take time. Golf is a game of patience after all.  

#25 corn

corn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

You have to be comfortable with the person and also be comfortable with their teaching style.

I went to a few pro's before finding my current coach. A couple were too technical, another only wanted to teach me one way and that went against my "natural swing" so I was fighting myself when I tried to put it into practice and sent me backwards for a few months while I persisted with his method. 

The guy I now see is a similar age (30's) and has a great way of showing me how I am swinging and what the changes will do. He also took things slowly and will never change to many things at once as he knows that bad habits will sneak in other wise. To begin with I was seeing him every month or 2 but as I am getting better the lessons are fewer, if I am scoring well than he will tell me to hold off on a lesson even if I have a bad game its just part of golf and it doesn't mean that I have major problems. If I have any questions about my swing I can always call or email him and he will give me a tip to try before coming for a lesson.

I have dropped from about 18 to 8.4 in 18 months, I think a lot of it is because he has given me a solid base from my set up, swing and mental side of the game. He has also taught me the best way to work through tough patches during my round if parts of my swing aren't working.

I think another important thing is a teacher who is interested in how you perform week to week and not just during your lessons.

• Shanks4ever and Notupnotin like this

#26 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8352 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:42 AM

You have to be comfortable with the person and also be comfortable with their teaching style.

I think another important thing is a teacher who is interested in how you perform week to week and not just during your lessons.

Yes someone who cares about and takes an interest in your game.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#27 Jiminy

Jiminy

jiminy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Or, alternatively, a coach that understands and connects with your learning style....

• Tolmij and blacksnake like this

#28 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Should a coach's merit just be based purely on a numbers game?

Eg, whatever handicap number you start off with, to whatever handicap number you reach ......  within say 6 months.

Surely, for those who's golfing aim is simply to reduce their handicap, this would be a true and ideal measure of a coach's worth.

If you want someone to understand you, and to hold your hand, go to a shrink, and not a golf coach.

Just my thoughts .... :)

PS, I've seen people rave about coaches etc, and yet they're handicap rarely changes .. are they just paying someone to be their friend??

• Francie and Goldy like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#29 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22198 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

GPJ_Longdriver, on 09 Mar 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Should a coach's merit just be based purely on a numbers game?

Eg, whatever handicap number you start off with, to whatever handicap number you reach ......  within say 6 months.

Surely, for those who's golfing aim is simply to reduce their handicap, this would be a true and ideal measure of a coach's worth.

If you want someone to understand you, and to hold your hand, go to a shrink, and not a golf coach.

Just my thoughts .... :)

PS, I've seen people rave about coaches etc, and yet they're handicap rarely changes .. are they just paying someone to be their friend??

Mostly, the measure of a golfer's ability is in his handicap.  So, if his handicap doesn't change, one would doubt whether his ability has improved.

In my case, I'm sure my golfing skill has improved but my handicap hasn't changed much.  Maybe I'm kidding myself.

On the other hand, a few lessons and a good coach might indicate to the player that he has reached the pinnacle of his ability, so he should just play to that and be a happy chappy.  Is that the role of a psych who would know nothing of the player's skills?

#30 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

you know its working when you take four shots of your cap  or when you have a putting review implement the suggestions and one putt the first four holes in your next comp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users