Photo

How Do You Know When Lessons Are Working . And What Should Be A Good Time Frame To See Improvement ?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

A thread in making from a comment that was left in the improvement thread I responded to. When do you know lessons are working? and what is a reasonable time frame to show improvement ( any index-handicap). I'm sure many of us have spend a big chunk of change on instructors with varying results.

I will start to say immediate results aren't improvement. Usually these are quick fix pro suggestions that only last a few rounds. For me a honest change should take a season or more to really kick in (as amateurs) . It should show on video and in ball flight and score

Comments on my first paragraph? No right or wrong here and no finger pointing. Just honest responses

#2 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

IMHO you can go to a pro for a quick fix if something has suddenly gone wrong to find what is causing it and then practice it in and out to get back to normal .That could /can happen almost immediately.

A pro can give you some advice that is a bit like wallpapering over the cracks , this will stop you doing something wrong or change the outcome from doing something wrong and as long as you keep using the tip he gave you then you will be ok ,However you will still have the flaws in your swing .

Lastly you can bite the bullet commit the time and change your swing to fix your problems ,which is what i did about 15 months ago .

Had had enough of handicap getting down to 10 then loosing form and drifting back to 13/14 . I did this 3 times in the space of 3 years . The underlying flaw in my swing was that I had an "armsy swing and my bad shot was a snap hook .

Went to pro who convinced me that to get consistent and get back to single figures I had to change my swing, had to power my swing by turning hips and shoulders and getting the arms and hands out of it (basic gist )

The hardest part is that to change an in grained swing you need to do about 100 swings a day for 6 /12 months , this I couldn't do so it has taken much longer , plus if you play comps you cant expect to score well and for your cap to stay low .It can be a very frustrating annoying time but to get the changes and results you have to stick with it .

I believe I am now just beginning to see some results i am hitting drives longer and straighter , I rarely snap hook , I am hitting irons crisply and where I aim them in the most part . Its by no means perfect but it is much better .

The changes I have made to my swing are happening naturally much more often which is what needs to happen and comes from doing the 100 swings a day .

In fact I am so pleased with my progress I am heading back to the coach for a check up but also now to work on my short game to get that working so much better . Is no use being able to hit a long straight drive and then have two chips and three putts .

• Jack_Golfer, Tochakka, Notupnotin and 1 other like this

#3 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

You've gotta feel that they wanna help and give a ****, only things I've cared about.
  • Longhitter_1984 likes this
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#4 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2494 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes you have to go backwards before you go forwards, I looked at videos of when I started to have lessons to over 12 months later and could see two different golfers. You have to be prepared to practice,practice and practice some more and use the tools your coach gave you.
Every now was and again you have to get a tune up to make sure you have not slipped back into any poor habits.

#5 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

Yep . Differences are staggering here to. No way I could've done this overnight. A year process and still working at it

#6 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

Yep . Differences are staggering here to. No way I could've done this overnight. A year process and still working at it

I started playing left handed one year ago(after playing right handed for 2yrs).

Had to build from the start, grip,posture,swing, the full bhoona.

Had a couple of lessons then stopped as I didn't like his casual approach and disinterest.

Have got myself decent and playing off 16.

Not bad for a years work.

Could be better of course but you have to have confidence in the teacher .
  • tigertuff likes this

Place your bets !

#7 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

I started playing left handed one year ago(after playing right handed for 2yrs).

Had a couple of lessons then stopped as I didn't like his casual approach and disinterest.

nice and sorry about your teacher. Worst story/ incident I saw was a older male teacher bumping and grinding on a young gal during a lesson. The look on her face was pure terror / his was some googley face. Was so bizarre and felt so bad for the gal taking the lesson. He was behind her showing her the swing with his hands on top of hers and his frontal rubbing right into her behind

True story

Edited by Butch and Sundance, 29 December 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#8 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

nice and sorry about your teacher. Worst story/ incident I saw was a older male teacher bumping and grinding on a young gal during a lesson. The look on her face was pure terror / his was some googley face. Was so bizarre and felt so bad for the gal taking the lesson. He was behind her showing her the swing with his hands on top of hers and his frontal rubbing right into her behind

True story

That dude should get arrested.

Our local pro is a lovely bloke,just can't seem to click with him and the explanations aren't exact and direct like i prefer so ,not my style.

Place your bets !

#9 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1653 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

It varies much with your situation at the time. If your game is fairly sound the pro can give subtle changes going which work and stick easily.
Mostly people don't get instruction on the short game and wedges. Much of the good stuff on short game moves well into the rest of the game.
I am thinking tempo especially .
Muscle tension is a killer. It creeps into your game without you knowing.
On short game....over the years I had a number of full lessons on bunker play. It's worth it.
The teacher is the key.
Do you connect? Some are duds. They have one swing idea and try to fit the player to their "ideal" swing.
  • pants likes this

#10 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

It varies much with your situation at the time. If your game is fairly sound the pro can give subtle changes going which work and stick easily.
Mostly people don't get instruction on the short game and wedges. Much of the good stuff on short game moves well into the rest of the game.
I am thinking tempo especially .
Muscle tension is a killer. It creeps into your game without you knowing.
On short game....over the years I had a number of full lessons on bunker play. It's worth it.
The teacher is the key.
Do you connect? Some are duds. They have one swing idea and try to fit the player to their "ideal" swing.

Yes they do.

Edited by blindman, 30 December 2015 - 03:28 PM.

Place your bets !

#11 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

Depends on where the player is at I think.

If it takes a whole season for a beginner to get better then I don't think they are really trying to be honest. If they do what the instructor says they should see result (better scores) almost immediately because they should now be doing things right rather than wrong. Certainly that was the case with myself, and safe in the knowledge that I ain't bothing special it would be the case with plenty of others ;)

A person that has played for a few years without lessons will probably go backwards for a while until new patterns develop and they overwrite the crap they had been doing.

A player that has had lessons and plays fairly well should also see results almost immediately as they tweak the bad habits out of their swing. These are not quick fixes, for me they are always slight adjustments to get better swing path and club head delivery.

So many variables in all of the above such as physical ability, patience, determination etc etc etc .........

• djcraig, blindman and pants like this

http://www.golflink....k_no=2121701916

After all is said and done ..... more will be said than done .....

#12 tigertuff

tigertuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Not bad at all, what were you playing off as a righty?

#13 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

Mouldy has another lesson coming up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts
  • LocationEating and Drinking somewhere

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

As a person who been been playing for years I treat pro visits like vintage car care.

The swing needs a regular service and an occasional fix when it breaks down.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

"not sure that makes sense but anyway"

#14 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Not bad at all, what were you playing off as a righty?

About 20 but had the odd 100 horror show, sometimes worse.
They still happen when I let aggression,concentration slide.

Place your bets !

#15 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3669 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I think that it is a bit of both.  You need to respond well to your pro - have a good connection and so on, and in my experience if you see eye to eye, you should be able to immediately appreciate the difference in changes to your swing.  Even with my biggest swing change to date, I could see the difference in the lesson that it would improve my golf, but it took 6 months plus to get consistent in bringing it into play in my regular game.

The second thing is that after the last couple of years I am a firm believer in the fact that you can improve your swing your skills and so on and not see an immediate improvement in your scoring.  I got to my lowest handicap a couple of years ago now, and I haven't manage to get back there, but I think that in a whole range of areas I am a better golfer now than I was there - I am much more consistent throughout the bag for example and make fewer really big mistakes.  So my stableford scores might not have improved overwhelmingly but I would guess that my stroke scores have over the same time period.

Finally, there are many elements in scoring well which are not strictly related to things taught by your pro.  Concentration, course management, ability to keep an even keel and not just give up if you start poorly - all of those things will affect your ability to score.  So your swing and technique might improve markedly but be prevented from improving your scoring because you are getting in your own way.

• Longhitter_1984 likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users