El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

Fantastic. Next target?

My next ambition is I would really like to par one of the Par 5's at that course. I've come close on all of them but always with longish putts that just miss. Nothing I've actually regretted, or expected to make.

Score wise I've long thought I could break 90 so guess that's next but at my current rate of improvement it's a very long way off. I was told when I started that I was the opposite of every other beginner in that I got better the closer I got to the hole. I putted OK and pitched and chipped really well (for a beginner) and that's still true now.

Once I get to about 100m out I expect to close the hole very promptly. It's getting there  I struggle with. My tee shots are generally bad so I'm always overcoming trouble I struggle trying to hit the ball long.

A snapshot of what I'm like is a hole I played today that was so inconsistent it was almost perverse. Par 4, tee shot ended up in the rough on the left. My second shot squirted off way right and ended up in a hazard. Then from 90m out with the ball sitting on a dried up lake bed I put it on the green with a PW then sunk the putt for a par on a hole in which I'd never been on the fairway.

See all that stuff inside Homer? That's why your robot wouldn't work.

#32 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

Wow. You don't have far to go then. Just get some lessons to check your grip, stance, alignment and full swing basics.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#33 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

My problems are too ingrained to be easily fixed. Although I'm relatively new to golf I played hundreds if not thousands of games of baseball starting when I was 8 years old and I was what they call a "slap hitter" That is I just punched the ball over the infield and I play golf in exactly that manner

#34 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

Had a very clear indication of my relative strengths and weaknesses this morning at Westgate.

Par 3 7th hole. I played two balls, near identical tee shots. One bounced past the front bunker but the other bounced to the left and went straight in.

The first ball I chipped within two feet of the hole and tapped it in. Mark me down for a 3.

The second ball I got out of the bunker, chipped it within two feet and tapped it in. Mark me down for an 8. Took me FIVE shots to get out of the stinking sandtrap.

Next time I get in a bunker I'm going to concede a stroke and just bail out any way I can whether it's closer to the hole or not.

I've long thought I should do that but marking it down here makes it a vow rather than just a vague intention

#35 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

The other option is to learn how to hit a bunker shot?
  • Rusty_Chopper_1984 likes this
READ EM AND WEEP

#36 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

The other option is to learn how to hit a bunker shot?

I could try that  It's just experience, there are so many types of sand. For example today the bunkers were sodden and hard, actually pockmarked by the rain

At this time I think I'm better off hitting it over the lowest lip and getting out that way

#37 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39821 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Also do some research about how to deal with different sand conditions so over time you improve your skills and scores

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#38 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

Also do some research about how to deal with different sand conditions so over time you improve your skills and scores

Yeah I can't go bailing backwards for the rest of my life. Fairway bunkers are no real problem, I'd rather not be in one, but I generally get out in one shot with decent distance. It's when they are close to the hole I struggle

When I try to be delicate I either fluff it into the wall or blast it out and across the green into the stratosphere.

#39 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

Yeah I can't go bailing backwards for the rest of my life. Fairway bunkers are no real problem, I'd rather not be in one, but I generally get out in one shot with decent distance. It's when they are close to the hole I struggle

When I try to be delicate I either fluff it into the wall or blast it out and across the green into the stratosphere.

You're not alone there! I've practised bunkers and had some pointers from the pro. Still highly likely to catch it sweet off the club onto the next tee or into the lake behind, or hitler
  • El Barto likes this
READ EM AND WEEP

#40 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Yeah I can't go bailing backwards for the rest of my life. Fairway bunkers are no real problem, I'd rather not be in one, but I generally get out in one shot with decent distance. It's when they are close to the hole I struggle

When I try to be delicate I either fluff it into the wall or blast it out and across the green into the stratosphere.

I am there at the moment.  It is my main project of 2016.  If I do nothing else this year I am going to fix my greenside bunker play.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#41 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

I can't decide whether it's comforting or alarming that other people have the same main problem

#42 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18169 posts
  • Location.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

I have always found bunkers to be one of the easiest parts of the game. Find it funny how hard some people find it.

#43 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

I have always found bunkers to be one of the easiest parts of the game. Find it funny how hard some people find it.

Well you can go get stuffed then.
This is the bunker woe thread. Either tell us how bad you are, offer some sage advice, or fark off out of here
😉
  • Weetbix and El Barto like this
READ EM AND WEEP

#44 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

Probably got something to do with working for 2 years to get ball then turf
Bunkers are all backwards.
READ EM AND WEEP

#45 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18169 posts
  • Location.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Well you can go get stuffed then.
This is the bunker woe thread. Either tell us how bad you are, offer some sage advice, or fark off out of here

I gave Weeti a bunker lesson once, actually forget I said that. Not a good example.
  • Weetbix and Francie like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users