#1 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I played golf now and then in my mid-teens when I suddenly quit and did not pick up a club again for decades. Having played cricket and baseball all my life swinging a club was easy so hitting the ball was never my problem but finding it was as my eyesight was always pisspoor and I got frustrated by losing so many balls. Towards the end of one round I'd lost so many I'd run out and I walked the last few holes and decided that was my last ever round.

My brother whose golf career mirrored mine (played as a teen but not after) took it up again relatively late in life and improved to the extent he's off single figures. He always said to me I should play again. He even had a set of his old clubs waiting for me but I always refused

I didn't play again for decades until we had an overnight work retreat at a place in Macedon that had four holes out the back. During a lunch break I went with the others to have a hit. On the first hole they all used the available drivers and it didn't look that far to me so I said, "It's five iron" and my boss, who was a golfer, said, "If you're not going to play properly don't play at all" I ignored him and swung my club of choice and bounced the ball past the hole. I turned to him and said, "It's a five iron" I started to think, "Maybe I should take it up again"

My brother gave me his old set and I had a few hits locally and I enjoyed it enough but then I played in Thailand and absolutely loved it. Honestly the most enjoyable golf you will ever play in your life is with a pretty girl as a caddie. Not only do they rake bunkers for you, fill in the divots, drive you around the course but most importantly for me they will also find the ball for you.

That was when I was 48 and I'm now 53 and have played at least once a week since. For a long time I thought I wasn't getting better as my scores weren't improving but I eventually realised that somewhere along the line I started counting every shot, and giving myself penalties when warranted, things I would never have done when I started.

I played at Westgate with my brother yesterday morning at sun-up The course was completely empty as you'd expect so we could do as we pleased. We played about twenty holes before anyone else showed up.

One hole sticks in my mind, we played two balls apiece on the fourth. I've played over fifty courses now and I would say with a straight face to anyone that's a difficult hole by any measure. A long curving par four, both my tee shots ended up near each other in the line of trees marking the adjoining fairway. The wind was blowing very strong so I hit a deliberate slice around the tree, high into the air and it swerved and landed in the middle of the fairway right in front of the creek that splits the hole in two. I yelled out to my brother, "That's the greatest shot I've ever seen!" He said he didn't see it. My second ball was only a few feet away but was directly behind a tree. There was no way around it so I went under. With the ball in the back of my stance (as instructed to me many times by my bro) I punched it along the ground and it ended up just a few feet from my first ball.

Both balls were extremely well placed in front of the creek about 150m out. Like I said, I think it's a difficult hole and I had two definite par chances, all I had to do was put the balls on the green. After taking great care I plonked the first one in the water forty feet in front of me. I then very huffily walked to the second one and without hesitation smashed it to the fringe of the green. Three putts later I had a wipe and a double bogey for my troubles but both second shots will stay with me forever. They were so similar yet so different and I executed them both perfectly and that's what I will remember

Tomorrow I'm off to Sunshine, I've never broken 100 there (I have elsewhere).The par 5's give me trouble! They are just endless so I always try to smash the ball and end up just drilling them into the ground and one bad shot leads to another. All those 8's and 9's add up. I'll see how I go

If anyone else has trouble with finding balls due to their eyesight I can recommend these..

http://www.ballsanda...about-the-ball/

Chromax balls, they are metallic coloured which makes them sparkle in the sun and they are near impossible to lose. The only downside is they are so bright it can be dazzling. I sometimes switch to normal balls on the shorter holes just to give my eyes a rest. I've only seen one other person use them on the course and I spotted it about 100m away. They aren't much different to a regular ball when it's overcast but when it's sunny you'll spot them a mile off.

• RobNewy likes this

See all that stuff inside Homer? That's why your robot wouldn't work.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22284 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Looks like a good idea, but they're awfully expensive for a 2-piece ball.

#3 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11031 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

I played golf now and then in my mid-teens when I suddenly quit and did not pick up a club again for decades. Having played cricket and baseball all my life swinging a club was easy so hitting the ball was never my problem but finding it was as my eyesight was always pisspoor and I got frustrated by losing so many balls. Towards the end of one round I'd lost so many I'd run out and I walked the last few holes and decided that was my last ever round.

My brother whose golf career mirrored mine (played as a teen but not after) took it up again relatively late in life and improved to the extent he's off single figures. He always said to me I should play again. He even had a set of his old clubs waiting for me but I always refused

I didn't play again for decades until we had an overnight work retreat at a place in Macedon that had four holes out the back. During a lunch break I went with the others to have a hit. On the first hole they all used the available drivers and it didn't look that far to me so I said, "It's five iron" and my boss, who was a golfer, said, "If you're not going to play properly don't play at all" I ignored him and swung my club of choice and bounced the ball past the hole. I turned to him and said, "It's a five iron" I started to think, "Maybe I should take it up again"

My brother gave me his old set and I had a few hits locally and I enjoyed it enough but then I played in Thailand and absolutely loved it. Honestly the most enjoyable golf you will ever play in your life is with a pretty girl as a caddie. Not only do they rake bunkers for you, fill in the divots, drive you around the course but most importantly for me they will also find the ball for you.

That was when I was 48 and I'm now 53 and have played at least once a week since. For a long time I thought I wasn't getting better as my scores weren't improving but I eventually realised that somewhere along the line I started counting every shot, and giving myself penalties when warranted, things I would never have done when I started.

I played at Westgate with my brother yesterday morning at sun-up The course was completely empty as you'd expect so we could do as we pleased. We played about twenty holes before anyone else showed up.

One hole sticks in my mind, we played two balls apiece on the fourth. I've played over fifty courses now and I would say with a straight face to anyone that's a difficult hole by any measure. A long curving par four, both my tee shots ended up near each other in the line of trees marking the adjoining fairway. The wind was blowing very strong so I hit a deliberate slice around the tree, high into the air and it swerved and landed in the middle of the fairway right in front of the creek that splits the hole in two. I yelled out to my brother, "That's the greatest shot I've ever seen!" He said he didn't see it. My second ball was only a few feet away but was directly behind a tree. There was no way around it so I went under. With the ball in the back of my stance (as instructed to me many times by my bro) I punched it along the ground and it ended up just a few feet from my first ball.

Both balls were extremely well placed in front of the creek about 150m out. Like I said, I think it's a difficult hole and I had two definite par chances, all I had to do was put the balls on the green. After taking great care I plonked the first one in the water forty feet in front of me. I then very huffily walked to the second one and without hesitation smashed it to the fringe of the green. Three putts later I had a wipe and a double bogey for my troubles but both second shots will stay with me forever. They were so similar yet so different and I executed them both perfectly and that's what I will remember

Tomorrow I'm off to Sunshine, I've never broken 100 there (I have elsewhere).The par 5's give me trouble! They are just endless so I always try to smash the ball and end up just drilling them into the ground and one bad shot leads to another. All those 8's and 9's add up. I'll see how I go

If anyone else has trouble with finding balls due to their eyesight I can recommend these..
http://www.ballsanda...about-the-ball/

Chromax balls, they are metallic coloured which makes them sparkle in the sun and they are near impossible to lose. The only downside is they are so bright it can be dazzling. I sometimes switch to normal balls on the shorter holes just to give my eyes a rest. I've only seen one other person use them on the course and I spotted it about 100m away. They aren't much different to a regular ball when it's overcast but when it's sunny you'll spot them a mile off.

Hi mate, ever given Boz's prosoft's a go? Can highly recommend as someone who suffers from sight issues as well. Under golf equipment thread if interested. Look forward to reading your journey mate.
  • RobNewy likes this
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Coached by the Supercoach as of Dec 2014.

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39088 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Interesting history El Barto. What are you down to now adays?

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

Interesting history El Barto. What are you down to now adays?

I don't have a handicap but at a guess it would be 26 or so My only real ambition golf wise is to be able to pass for a 24 handicapper as I want to play in two tournaments.

The North Korean Open

http://www.northkore...om/course1.html

The Artic Open in Iceland

http://www.arcticopen.is/

where you tee off at midnight

In different ways they are so difficult to get to and you need a cap of 24 to pay either. I don't care if I win or come last I just want to take part in at least one of them.

• Weetbix and RobNewy like this

#6 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

Looks like a good idea, but they're awfully expensive for a 2-piece ball.

They aren't cheap I admit that but they REALLY stand out on the course

I'm not a good enough a player to comment about their "feel" but you can certainly hit them a long way and they are very hard to lose.  They are little rocks but I forgive them for that as they stand out so much.

#7 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

Hi mate, ever given Boz's prosoft's a go? Can highly recommend as someone who suffers from sight issues as well. Under golf equipment thread if interested. Look forward to reading your journey mate.

Thanks

I'll have a look. The reason I love those balls is I can always find them if I hit it reasonably straight Regardless of ball used if it sprays off the face then I have NO idea where it goes. I might be looking literally hundreds of metres away from where it is.

The least I expect of the Chromax ball is if it's in the fairway I know I'll find it. I've walked straight past regular balls I've hit many times

#8 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8323 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

El Barto....

An interesting read mate.

Out of interest after looking at the site linked, which coloured ball do you use to help with your eyesight?

VTTP 006

Miracle

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22284 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Bart, in order to get a real handicap, you need to join a club. It need not be an expensive private club. There's a wide variety of clubs with annual fees starting around $100. It all depends on what your needs are and what area.

When you play in a club comp, which you need to do in order to get your handicap, you will have others in your group to watch where your ball goes and help you to find it.

#10 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

I'm sure westgate will give you a handicap for $120 and 3 rounds, Royal park defiantly will.

#11 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Bart, in order to get a real handicap, you need to join a club. It need not be an expensive private club. There's a wide variety of clubs with annual fees starting around $100. It all depends on what your needs are and what area.

When you play in a club comp, which you need to do in order to get your handicap, you will have others in your group to watch where your ball goes and help you to find it.

Awaiting your response to my 53pts today in our comp .

;)
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22284 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Awaiting your response to my 53pts today in our comp .

;)

That's just bullshit.  To get a handicap, you play stroke.

But using a basis of 36 handicap for calculation, it means you pick up if 4 over par and a stroke handicap can be calculated.  You didn't really have 53 points because you didn't really have a handicap.

#13 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

El Barto....

An interesting read mate.

Out of interest after looking at the site linked, which coloured ball do you use to help with your eyesight?

They have a sampler pack of all their colours and I found orange yellow and green are the best for me. The others, blue and silver aren't as good.

The one I saw someone playing on the next fairway 100m away was orange. I wasn't looking for it I just spotted it and thought, "Hey a Chromax ball. How about that."

• The_Boz and Weetbix like this

#14 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

I'm a member at Westgate. I'm not real fussed about a handicap I'd only get one to enter those tournaments overseas. Getting others to spot my ball isn't fun I don't mind being a pain in the arse to people I know well but not with someone I've just met since I don't know how they'll react to my constant, "Where's me ball? Where's me ball?"

#15 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22284 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

It's amazing how many ailments golfers (particularly old farts) have and yet still play golf.  Poor eyesight is quite common.  Just tell them before you start that you have trouble seeing barns, let alone golf balls, and most will readily assist you.

You'll probably make some new friends, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users