BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Win lotto.

are you seeing a coach to help you or just relying on some good youtube clips?

do you have any plans in place to help you along?

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#17 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:02 PM

He has a good role model to follow , plays a fair bit of golf with him :-)
  • BumpunRun likes this

#18 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

What extra work?

The only 'work' he did at the club was lifting his glass.

Maybe he did.  But whenever we saw him, he had a skin full.

#19 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

No, no, and ... no.

#20 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:13 PM

Well, after a good (half) round on Monday (won the 9-hole with 22 points, and a good game on Tuesday at a course I'd never played before (won the comp with 43 points), I was back to normal today with a mediocre 29 points.

• Madam and Bluethunda like this

#21 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

Good story ob, look forward to the progress

#22 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

I swung the club quite well today with no major stuff-ups.
Played with a teaching pro, but he was off duty and not much help. He sure hits it sweet, though.

I just need to find more distance. Might have to lose 30kgs to do that. My blubber doesn't whip around very fast.
  • Bluethunda and Weetbix like this

#23 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

Ob, somethings are best left untouched. Gorillaboy dropped 12kgs the waste line and added 5 shots to his handicap!
  • Bluethunda likes this

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#24 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

After yesterday's effort, I rightly expected a more mediocre outcome today.
Driving was still good with nearly every one hitting the fairway. A push fade on 4 left me in the trees. Totally buggered the shot on 7 causing a wipe. Slight fade on 11 had the ball land in the rough but the slope took it to the middle of the 12th leaving a clear shot to the green. Beautiful shot down the middle of 14 duplicated yesterday's divergence to go under the same 'fronds to the ground' pine necessitating a chip-out. On 15 (par 3), intentional shot to the right of green went wider than planned. On 17 I pulled the drive a bit left.

Ok, so it wasn't nearly all drives, but it seemed that way.

Putting let me down today. I only had three 1-putts but also had three 3-putts and a bloody 4-putt on 10th.

On 10, second shot was good, leaving me 3m below the hole. First putt missed to the right by an inch and went two feet past, curving left after the hole. Another player from further up the hill on the same line had his ball stay left and missed. A gentle shot for my 2nd should have slipped in but it diverged just before the hole and slid past then continued to creep down the slope for another few feet. The return putt should have been dead straight but curved left causing a lip-out. Tapped in for 4 putts: 6 for 1.

My chipping was a bit off today leaving putts too long.

Rest day tomorrow.

#25 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

Played NYE.  Damned hot.  Plugged a fridge into the cart to keep drinks cold.

Still, the heat seemed to affect my game a bit and the back nine wasn't as good as the front.

Continuing to try and get a bit more distance without losing accuracy.  Any slight adjustment has ramifications.

#26 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17286 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Ob, somethings are best left untouched. Gorillaboy dropped 12kgs the waste line and added 5 shots to his handicap!

maybe this is what he may be after? ??
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#27 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Sat was MM (stroke) at Warragul.  Played ok without any major blowouts but still took too many shots on too many holes.  6 was the highest score, not just on both par 5s, but also too many par 4s.

On the 12th (par 5), I pulled my tee shot left as I tried to 'put one out there'.  It hit a tree about 100m out and went just out to the 13th fairway.  Having a wall of trees between me and the 12th fairway, I chose to go up the 13th.  Using the mini driver, I got onto it well keeping to the right hand side.  But the sideways slope of the fairway carried the ball hard left into the trees, not far from the 17th fairway.  Still around 200m out from the 12th, mini driver again hoping to blast through a fairly bare tree.  Only other option would be a chip out, leaving me with still a long way to go and in danger from the group in front of us who, by then, should have been leaving the 12th green and teeing off on 13.  Because of the hill, I couldn't see any of this, nor could I see where the green was, but just guessed both timing and direction.

The ball hit the sticks of the tree (it was near the top) and dropped down, going left again down the slope.

Now playing 4, 150m out, a huge cypress in the way that I have to get around, uphill over a crest, and no positive idea as to where the green is - I'm not familiar with approaching it from there.  Hoping the group in front have now moved off the green and hoping I don't curve it too far left and get them on the 13th tee which is right beside the 12th green, I tried a draw with the 4 hybrid in what I hoped was the right direction.  A good strike.

As I drive over the crest, I see the other group preparing to hit, so I scoot across their fairway toward the 12th and out of their way.  I was playing in a three and the other two were still well back on 12 (I have no idea what they were doing while I was playing golf).  I think rjp, who usually has a strong draw, hit his ball out to 11 and probably had to wait for a clear fairway to hit.

I get to our green and there's my ball happily waiting for me a few metres from the hole.  Missed the putt with a lip, in for 6.

That was probably my worst drive for the day, second to the one on the 5th.

The 5th at Warragul is a short par 4 but very narrow.  To the left is a row of scraggly pine trees just inside the boundary fence.  To the right is a steep drop off down into the gully that runs parallel to the 5th.  Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 all cross that gully.  OOB left is of course dead, and off the right isn't much better.  There's another huge cypress beside the 8th tee at about 150m out from the 5th tee.  That can be a saviour for a wayward shot right, but it also swallows balls.

In avoiding the OOB, my drive went too far right and caught the left edge of the cypress.  My ball rolled down the path beside the 8th tee but fortunately stopped in a rut about 30m down.  More trees blocked access to the 5th green but, after dropping from the gravel path, I was able to get back to 'my' fairway.  Third shot with an easy wedge was too long (nearly off the back with the pin at the front).  Three putts later I was in for 6.

No other dramas for the day, but the strong winds threw me off and upset my putting.  Four 3-putts with many close shaves and only three 1-putts.

16th hole is often a problem.  Fairway slopes left, green slopes a lot to left front, bunkers left of green.  Good drive.  Second shot was lovely with the ball doing a wobble as it got to the pin.  I guess it had a look into the hole and decided against it.  It would have been my second ever eagle.  2m putt looked into the hole again but headed off down the hill. Next putt got there, saw what was coming and turned sideways.  Another 3 putt.

Score: a pair of 46s.  92 less 17 = 75.

• Bluethunda likes this

#28 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

maybe this is what he may be after? ??

I only need an extra two shots to be back to C grade for next year's clubbies.

12Kg would be a good move in the right direction.  30Kg would be better.

Edited by OldBogey, 03 January 2016 - 10:47 AM.

• Bluethunda likes this

#29 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17286 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Sure you can manipulate the new handicap system withoht too much ado
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#30 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23825 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

Sure you can manipulate the new handicap system withoht too much ado

It's very easy to play crap.

But then I have a good round and all my hard work (and comp fees) pushing the 'cap out is wasted.

• Bluethunda likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users