199 replies to this topic

#196 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2654 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Can you expand on your thoughts of his "paralysis by analysis"?
You obviously know him a lot better than I do as I haven't played with him like you have, but I'm not sure how you'd classify Obe's stats as paralysis by analysis so I'm keen to hear your take on it.

Anyone that keeps those type of stats is over thinking the whole game and relating rounds played to some kind of advancement. He'd be so much better off spending some time with a coach and on the practise fairway, honing a skill set.

OBs age and weight won't diminish, so he needs to find a way to strike the ball more consistently and with a better technique.

That would give him more distance, which he has been after for the past few years. 20 metres longer from the tee would help him drop afew strokes off his handicap and a sharper game from 100 in could help with another couple of shots per round.

That could help the more GIR column instead of having to get up and down so much and adding more pressure on his putting. GIR and putting for the occasional birdie instead of continually putting for par or worse would change his whole golfing world and game, in my humble opinion.

Jon... :)      

#197 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

Anyone that keeps those type of stats is over thinking the whole game and relating rounds played to some kind of advancement. He'd be so much better off spending some time with a coach and on the practise fairway, honing a skill set.
OBs age and weight won't diminish, so he needs to find a way to strike the ball more consistently and with a better technique.
That would give him more distance, which he has been after for the past few years. 20 metres longer from the tee would help him drop afew strokes off his handicap and a sharper game from 100 in could help with another couple of shots per round.
That could help the more GIR column instead of having to get up and down so much and adding more pressure on his putting. GIR and putting for the occasional birdie instead of continually putting for par or worse would change his whole golfing world and game, in my humble opinion.
Jon... :)

I appreciate that you don't like the fella and are just looking to have a crack at him, but "those types of stats" are the number of games he's played and his handicap - hardly paralysis by analysis. Going out on a limb here, I'd suggest he's looked at golflink, counted the number of games he played in the month and wrote them here.

It's hard to disagree with the obvious other things you've mentioned which would apply to anyone - present company included, but if this is what Obe wants to do to tell us how many games he plays, good on him.

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#198 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24560 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Jon, and you're probably right.

But coaches cost money and I'm just happy to be out there playing golf.  Another 30m on my drives would make a considerable difference, putting a lot more longer par 4s within 2-shot range.  Whilst my amateur efforts have achieved some improvement, I know that an accurate short game will also help. 

I usually keep putting stats for each round, but only as a temporary assessment.  If I've had under 30 putts but the score was just 'normal' then it's probably taken par to just get on the green a bit too often.  If my putts are closer to 36 but the score wasn't all that bad, then I've hit quite a few greens but needed long putts to get close.  I'm not too fussed about it, just a guide.

In answer to Bumpy's comment, somebody asked the question of 'how many rounds per week'.  I know I play a lot more golf than most, occasionally 5 or 6 days in a row, with a basic 3, weather permitting.  So I noted on my copy of the printed club syllabus just how many, including the 9-holes and those that don't make it golflink.

Many of my friends can't manage that, usually from failing health.  New/replacement stents, replacement pacemaker, replacement hips & knees, arthritis, gall bladders out, etc. seem to be quite common.  So far, I've avoided all those except for occasional creaking joints and muscle soreness.  I use a cart to 'save my joints for my old age'.  I know a number of golfers who've played into their nineties and I want to be one of them.  I'm trying the make my weight inversely proportional to my age.  I've lost 10Kg in five years, which is a bit too slow.  But I'm working on it.

To me, it's all about living life (what there is left of it) and enjoying it.  I enjoy the challenge of playing golf, whether I have a good score or everything goes wrong, but being out there is better than sitting at home doing SFA.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#199 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2654 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

I appreciate that you don't like the fella and are just looking to have a crack at him, but "those types of stats" are the number of games he's played and his handicap - hardly paralysis by analysis. Going out on a limb here, I'd suggest he's looked at golflink, counted the number of games he played in the month and wrote them here.

It's hard to disagree with the obvious other things you've mentioned which would apply to anyone - present company included, but if this is what Obe wants to do to tell us how many games he plays, good on him.

OB does, imo relate the number of rounds he has played to an analogy of how he is going, thus the paralysis !

And most of the stuff I've written is tongue in cheek ( still prefer not to get into a cart with OB driving )

I've only pointed out a simple recipe for him to move forward and improve, not only his game but his handicap too.

For a hundge or so and about an hour of his time, he could get a blueprint from a coach to move forward.

Youtube won't get him the results that are required !

Jon... 

ps: Maybe a new modern, fitted driver could be helpful and on his to do list. 

Edited by golfguy33, 01 January 2019 - 05:17 PM.

#200 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24560 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

It may well be helpful, Jon, but outside my budget.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users