#136 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

18 holes of practice yesterday, and also the day before.
18 holes of practice today.
Drinking practice tomorrow.
Pennant match at Sandringham Thursday - practising beating the opposition.
Rest day Friday.
Medal practice at Beacy on Saturday.
Pennant at Brighton on Sunday.

I haven't looked at next week's schedule yet.

Who says more practice would improve my game?
  • Madam and Weetbix like this

#137 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13317 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Don’t forget your Pilates!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#138 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

Don’t forget your Pilates!

I don't go anywhere without my Dentures.
  • Madam and Weetbix like this

#139 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

As I'm not out playing, I figured I'd go through last Thursday's Senior Pennant match, against Ringwood, played at Beacy.

I'm off 17, he's off 24, so I have to give him 7 strokes.  We played holes 10 to 27 (back half of the Hills then the Lakes 9).  We go out in fours, I'm number 5, playing with the 6s.

First hole (10th), par 5, halved it with 6s.

2nd hole, 184m downhill par 3 into the wind.  There are a few bumps and shaggy grass at the front to impede run-ups, green slopes back to front, mid pin.  Easy driver (too easy), I'm just short, nearest of the four. Opponent chips up short, still away, chips on about 3m from the hole.  Feeling warm and fuzzy, I chip up to a metre (trying to avoid a downhill putt), ball rolls back off the front. repeat that for my third shot, now feeling annoyed. 4th shot to 1m past the hole. Opponent drains his putt (he uses a weird sidesaddle stroke with a long putter, deadly). He's in for 4. 1 down.

3rd hole (Hills 12), uphill par4 of 381m.  Halved with 5s. Still 1 down.

4th hole, 156m uphill par3. We're both on the RH side, mine's pin high, his is short. He chips to 2m. Mine stops 1m below the hole. He drained his putt, in for 3. Put mine in for 3, but I have to give a shot on this hole, now 2 down.

5th hole, 450m par5. Good drive, mine is centred, bottom of the hill, his is shorter to the right but not in trouble. He plays up the hill, not long but ok.  I pull mine into the WH drain on the left, drop out for 3, on for 4. He's on for 3, 2 putts and in for 5.  My 5th missed the hole.  Now 3 down.

6th hole, 139m downhill par 3, bunkers left and right, big drop off behind the green. His drive is short but rolls across the green and down the back. I did a nice 7i to the green, but it crawled off the back and into the fringe. His ball is in the scrub but he hits it up onto the green, well past the hole. My chip up from the back fringe was a bit weak, still 2m away.  He 2 putts for 4.  My putt missed. I have to give him a shot. Now 4 down.

7th hole, 332m par4, into a gully and up the other side, big green that slopes away to the right. He hits to the bottom of the hill, mine is well past. His 2nd is weak and left. I should be on for 2 but duffed the 7i only half way. We halved it with 5s. Still 4 down.

8th hole, 349m par4 dogleg. His drive is poor, hitting trees on the right but deflecting back to the fairway, quite short. I go for the large landing area but pull it a bit left and it rolls off into the scrub and behind trees. I hit out, then up near the green and ended with a 5. He had a number of shots, finally missed a putt and in for 6.  But I have to give him a shot, so it's only a half.  Still 4 down.

9th hole, 310m par4.  I'm beside the green for 2 but still took another 3 to get in. It took him 4 to get on but drained his putt for another half. Still 4 down.

Onto the Lakes nine with which I'm a bit more familiar.

10th hole, 197m downhill par3.  His is short, mine is pin high just off the green.  A chip and a putt and we're both in for 3.  But I have to give him a shot.  Now 5 down.

11th hole, 364m par4 dogleg.

His drive is off to the right with trees blocking out the green. His 2nd hits the trees and drops. His 3rd was played safe, on for 4. My 2nd should have been on but was a crap shot. On for 3, in for 5. It took him 6.  Got one back!  4 down.

12th hole, 173m par3.  Both on for 1, 2 putts apiece and in for 3s.  But I have to give him a shot.  Back to 5 down.

13th hole, 317m par4, green is off to the left, just over then end of a lake.  I've outdriven him by a good 30m this time. He gets his 2nd just over the lake and near the green. My drive is just beside the 100m marker, 107 from the pin and although it's just in the rough, it's sitting up nicely, perfect for a good 9i. But the grass grabs the club head and my ball falls just short and into the damned dam.  Drop for 3, on for 4, 2 putts for a 6. He does it in 5.  6 down, 5 to go and it's all over red rover.

Edited by OldBogey, 14 April 2018 - 11:40 AM.

• Weetbix likes this

#140 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37721 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

tl:dr

ogaff
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#141 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

tl:dr

ogaff

Translation please

#142 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37721 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Fat fingers.
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#143 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8853 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

OB

looks like you were on your handicap for front 9 your opponent was 11 over after 13 = off 24 ???

I suppose you are going to get that against clubs with Low DSR's and low slope ratings. its going to make for higher handicaps.

not to worry, play better next week.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#144 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

OB
looks like you were on your handicap for front 9 your opponent was 11 over after 13 = off 24 ???

I suppose you are going to get that against clubs with Low DSR's and low slope ratings. its going to make for higher handicaps.

not to worry, play better next week.

I don't worry about it, CB. Schitt happens.

The slope system is severely flawed. If I regularly played at Langy, my 'cap would be at least 5 strokes higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users