• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Just got this on fb feed from mobitee....makes too much sense so nothing will really come of it but could also be food for thought and something's clubs could adopt ie: local rule for divots in the fairway.

http://www.usatoday....-golf/73693284/

Thoughts?

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#2 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11177 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

1. If you address the ball and it moves, you have caused it to move. It wouldn't have moved if you weren't there, thinking otherwise is just a cop out.

2. Declaring divots GUR is a cop out. The beauty of golf is that it is not played on perfect. Yeah there courses where the pros play that are 'perfect' but particularly my home course, there are parts where there is barely any grass so sometimes you are playing out of a crappier lie in the fairway.
The comment about how sad it is that you hit a perfect drive and deserve to hit off a perfect lie is utter crap. Of you don't hit a perfect drive is it OK to be in a divot? How new or old or deep does it need to be for it to be GUR? who determines that it isn't just a imperfection on the fairway?
This will without doubt create cheating and liberties with what is a divot.

This one time, playing with Weeti, was the only time I can genuinely think in the last years and years of playing that I can remember every hitting from a divot. It was a par 5 and it hit my drive to where I needed. Walking to my ball I thought I'd need 8 iron, get there and it's in an unfilled divot so instead I use a 7 iron and punch it out, on the green and nail the eagle.
Making divot GUR is a cop out.
  • pom, Li Ning, Weetbix and 5 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#3 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17858 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

[attachment=6018:images-2.jpeg]
  • Li Ning and Francie like this

#4 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

learn and know the rules instead of trying to change them to suit an occasional situation . I tend to think of a good drive finishing in a bad lie as bad luck and then you do the best you can ,still do a bit of swearing and whinging but i dont want the rules changed so i can get a drop .

In reality you should be looking at the dicks who don't fill in their divot or the greens committee for not making sure skanky areas are fixed or made gur not changing the rules .

#5 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9642 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

All I read was WAH WAH WAH ......

• BumpunRun, Weetbix and The Pres like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

I'm sure I won something sometime.... somewhere ...

#6 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11177 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

learn and know the rules instead of trying to change them to suit an occasional situation . I tend to think of a good drive finishing in a bad lie as bad luck and then you do the best you can ,still do a bit of swearing and whinging but i dont want the rules changed so i can get a drop .
In reality you should be looking at the dicks who don't fill in their divot or the greens committee for not making sure skanky areas are fixed or made gur not changing the rules .

The same as a bad drive hitting a tree and coming back to the fairway, some days you have good luck and some days you have bad luck. I one made up a quote right now on the spot, the more I practice, the luckier I get.
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#7 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17858 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

U read more than me then.
  • 2Putts likes this

#8 divot_maker

divot_maker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

R&A

b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player's ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke.
The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.
Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply.

USGA

b. Ball Moving After Address

If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke.

The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply.

With the ball moving after address wouldn't the above apply according to the exception?

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22047 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Do you need an optometrist?

U read more than me then.

Your need may be greater !

#10 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35464 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

1. If you address the ball and it moves, you have caused it to move. It wouldn't have moved if you weren't there, thinking otherwise is just a cop out.

2. Declaring divots GUR is a cop out. The beauty of golf is that it is not played on perfect. Yeah there courses where the pros play that are 'perfect' but particularly my home course, there are parts where there is barely any grass so sometimes you are playing out of a crappier lie in the fairway.
The comment about how sad it is that you hit a perfect drive and deserve to hit off a perfect lie is utter crap. Of you don't hit a perfect drive is it OK to be in a divot? How new or old or deep does it need to be for it to be GUR? who determines that it isn't just a imperfection on the fairway?
This will without doubt create cheating and liberties with what is a divot.

This one time, playing with Weeti, was the only time I can genuinely think in the last years and years of playing that I can remember every hitting from a divot. It was a par 5 and it hit my drive to where I needed. Walking to my ball I thought I'd need 8 iron, get there and it's in an unfilled divot so instead I use a 7 iron and punch it out, on the green and nail the eagle.
Making divot GUR is a cop out.

This post was all about the eagle, wasn't it?
  • Tolmij, RobNewy, Francie and 2 others like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#11 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

What a load of crap, have you ever played golf down the peninsula? Wind gusts move the balls all the time

• Rusty_Chopper_1984 likes this

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#12 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11177 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

What a load of crap, have you ever played golf down the peninsula? Wind gusts move the balls all the time

No, I haven't played on any course outside of South East Queensland.

#13 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11177 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

This post was all about the eagle, wasn't it?

I had to lead into it nicely somehow, no one likes a wanker who just comes out and says how good they are and tells about all the eagles they get, like that time I was playing with you at the Nationals and got the eagle on the 9th at Palm Meadows...
  • Tolmij, Francie, The Pres and 1 other like this

#14 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

Osprey? Wedgetails don't seem to like the coast.

#15 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

No, I haven't played on any course outside of South East Queensland.

Well if you play anywhere it's windy I can assure you it's absolutely possible for a ball to move after it's been addressed (without touching it)

I once watched my ball roll off the edge of the green while standing over it, after brutal wind gust game howling through.

Edited by Tigerblood, 11 October 2015 - 03:12 PM.

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users