Photo

Joe's Game Of Golf

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

As Ink said some real opportunities to put some decent scores on the board but the LW with chipping was letting me down.

Hi Joe,

Chipping with such a lofted club in winter conditions is fraught with danger, as you have such little margin for error in regard to contacting the ball first.

Soft greens can also impinge on the consistency of the predicted landing and roll out, so I reckon it's much easier option wherever possible, is to go with a less lofted club, eg a 50 degree or less.

That will assist in keeping the ball low, (lands more consistently) ........ and then getting it rolling quicker, (more predictable rollout ). It is also easier for contact as well in that you have more margin for error.

With taking more club, you will have to land it shorter (maybe off the green), but the lower height will help with maintaining the forward momentum.

Just a thought ......... :)

• ink and Chunky McChunkerson like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#17 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

*SNIP*

Thanks and is something I have contemplated and done a little testing with. When I tried it at the range and on the chipping green at Heidelberg I have found it worse (Admittedly it is my AW as opposed to a Mack Daddy 50*) and found it worse. Will need more work on it for confidence factor. But I understand where your coming from!!

My biggest issue was chunking it with the AW. I think it is because of being a bigger head\proper club as opposed to a specific chipping wedge style club so the mentality\psychology of it was getting too me and I would decelerate on downswing and end up coming into the ground behind it or thining it because I was chunking on the 5 shots before. I have a 52* that I will be getting bent to 55* so this may help. 

I was at the range last night and worked a little on swing with the 60* again (admittedly perfect lies at Plenty Views. Like Goldy why cant we take these mats with us lol) and noticed I tended to be tentative again with the hit even on perfect lie.

I still think it is a mentality thing that I need to understand that a half to 3/4 swing is only going to go 30 or 40 meters which is what I struggle with. That a 60* is basically going to go straight up and down and not up and long type shot. So when I am 30 meters out I need to give it a swing and not be soft\slow swing with it. 

There was a few on the weekend where I could get it too land within a 2 feet of the hole and roll out a couple more feet when I was confident and did swing to hit it right. Then the next hole I would stand over the exact same shot and think I need a softer\shorter swing because it is on a diff lie\angle\hill\etc and end up hitting it 10 or 50 meters (Short or long\over back of green) instead of 30.

Does that make sense or am I full of it?

Edited by Joe79, 05 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#18 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

It makes sense...AND you're full of it.

Wanna hit a Plenty Views later in the week after work?

• Chunky McChunkerson likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#19 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

It makes sense...AND you're full of it.

Wanna hit a Plenty Views later in the week after work?

Can do on Thurs night.... what time is after work for you? For me it is 530 as I finish at 330. :)

Edited by Joe79, 05 August 2015 - 09:19 AM.

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

#20 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Probably closer to 6.30 for me.

I'll send you a text.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Goldlink

#21 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

No it does make sense Joe.

The thing is, we're used to doing short chips from the greenside fringe, and for most, they're also just used to hitting nothing but full swings.

These half and 3/4 shots probably need to be practiced more than full swings, particularly if your course management leaves you in that nasty 30-40m range often.

One thought is key though I reckon to success with these shots, and that's, you want your thru swing to be longer than your backswing.

A lot of people will take a bigger backswing than they need (cause they're used to hitting nothing but full swings), and then they decelerate thru impact, and finish with a short follow thru, when the exact opposite is what is required, in my opinion.

Setting up for these shots is also key, in promoting confidence. You want your weight on your front foot, and you want to keep it there throughout your swing. This will give you confidence that you are going to hit down and thru the ball with a descending blow, and not blade it or chunk it.

So no weight transfer at all, shortish backswing, and just accelerate thru the ball, and you should soon be able to dial those shots in with practice. I'd practice hitting that same distance with different clubs, different ball positions, face angles, etc, cause that's how we learn and add more shots to our arsenal.

Just my thoughts of course, but hope it helps buddy .... :D

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#22 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

No it does make sense Joe.

The thing is, we're used to doing short chips from the greenside fringe, and for most, they're also just used to hitting nothing but full swings.

These half and 3/4 shots probably need to be practiced more than full swings, particularly if your course management leaves you in that nasty 30-40m range often.

One thought is key though I reckon to success with these shots, and that's, you want your thru swing to be longer than your backswing.

A lot of people will take a bigger backswing than they need (cause they're used to hitting nothing but full swings), and then they decelerate thru impact, and finish with a short follow thru, when the exact opposite is what is required, in my opinion.

Setting up for these shots is also key, in promoting confidence. You want your weight on your front foot, and you want to keep it there throughout your swing. This will give you confidence that you are going to hit down and thru the ball with a descending blow, and not blade it or chunk it.

So no weight transfer at all, shortish backswing, and just accelerate thru the ball, and you should soon be able to dial those shots in with practice. I'd practice hitting that same distance with different clubs, different ball positions, face angles, etc, cause that's how we learn and add more shots to our arsenal.

Just my thoughts of course, but hope it helps buddy .... :D

Definitely helps and the tips are things that i need as my thought process for these types of shots are all over the place at the moment so having something to think and keep in head will help.

Heidelberg has a nice little hidden practice green that you can chip\pitch onto from about 30 meters so I think I am needing to get in there and practice as you said.  

• ink likes this

WITB:

#23 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4441 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

I always use either my 60 or 56 for pitches in that 30-50m distance range. If the green is above me or the shot is off a downhill lie it is always the 60. 

I like using more loft because it gives me more spin and therefore more control. The only reason I would use less loft is if I am afraid of leaving it short and don't need to hit it too high. 

Remember that chipping and pitches are two different shots that require different levels of control. Chipping is all about selecting the right club for the amount of roll you want. The more roll you want, the less loft you should use. 

Pitching is all about controlling carry distance which is why I nearly always use the 60. More spin equals more control in my opinion and the closer I can land it to my target, the more confident I am standing over the ball.

If I find myself having to land the ball in the fringe or rough then I know I am in trouble, so good course management can help this issue resolve itself in my opinion. 

GPJ's advice about the set up and the lack of weight transfer is spot on. Weight on the front foot and no swaying means you are going to get consistently good contact and therefore consistent levels of spin & roll out. 

• ink likes this

#24 Tonk

Tonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2528 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

Joe,

I think you should print Gaz's last post out and put it on the wall. I think, for higher handicaps like ours we need to really consider how often we use the 60*. I was using it for full shots and constantly coming up short or going long over the back of greens. In winter it was a nightmare proposition to consider using it unless i was on a tight lie and needed to get over a bunker and stop it quick.

I've made a concerted effort to put it away for the past 3 months and I believe it has paid dividends. I'm bumping and running a lot more shots up towards the green. Get it on target and let it roll. 

Pick a spot at the range that's 40-50m away and practice using anything from an 8i through to your PW to get it to land at the target. You'll soon work out how far a back swing you need with each club to get it there.

• ink likes this

#25 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

Nothing wrong with the ol putter if you don't have to hit over a bunker  :P  :ph34r:

Golf Link

http://www.golflink....k_no=3101414554

Game Golf

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/rizzo

In The Bag

Driver: Pink K15

3 Wood: Cobra Baffler X-Trail

Rescue: Cobra Baffler X-Trail

5,6,7,8,9 iron: Cobra AMP

Pitching Wedge: Cobra AMP

Gap Wedge: Cobra AMP

Sand Wedge: Tour Trusty

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

#26 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

Nothing wrong with the ol putter if you don't have to hit over a bunker  :P  :ph34r:

Yes that got used a few times on Sunday when I wasn't confident....when on the short stuff.... :o lol

WITB:

#27 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11026 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Can do on Thurs night.... what time is after work for you? For me it is 530 as I finish at 330. :)

I might gatecrash this...😉
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Coached by the Supercoach as of Dec 2014.

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#28 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

I might gatecrash this...

Feel free mate...7pm tonight.

• Rusty_Chopper_1984 and Chunky McChunkerson like this

Goldlink

#29 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11026 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

Feel free mate...7pm tonight.

Ill be there. They make a mean coffee at plenty views.☺

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2015 Race to 18 Winner

#30 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11026 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Nothing wrong with the ol putter if you don't have to hit over a bunker :P :ph34r:

But much better feeling to put a wedge close.☺
  • Whatahack and Itchy4Scratch like this

2015 Race to 18 Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users