#16 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2201 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

Not only are they a drain in maintenance resources but many of them provide little in regard to playing strategy.

With an average age of the club nearing the late 60's I trust the changes are received well. There are always a few naysayers that whicge about the rating number dropping a few points but as I said at the club information night...I don;t give a rats about the rating number. I'm trying to givre you a golf course the members can enjoy, beit 2 markers or 36 markers.

All hail the wise Arkie!

#17 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for that information.  I have had a look at Geofabrics website. Read about Bidim A14 being used at Bargara to wrap the drainage line and Bunkermat on the slopes. Do you have an opinion on the use of Bidim?

Our course Super has done a nice job doing a stacked turf face reconstructing one smallish bunker. This is an interesting alternative to sand covered slopes.  The slope is moderate but if you get really close to the revetted face the lie is unplayable towards the flagstick. The benefit is less sand and avoiding issues with retaining sand on the face of the bunker. There are pros and cons to everything.

When the "flashed sand" on the faces of bunkers becomes an issues the first tendency is to grass the faces. It probably does minimise the problem but even grassed faces can be a bugger to maintain with a flymo or something. The appearance is purely a subjective view on what looks good and what doesn't. I am not a fan of the grass faced traps, don;t think they look as good and often you cannot see where the bunkers are. I know Arundel have converted a lot of traps here on the Gold Coast and I think they look ordinary.

Revetting is a pretty tricky business but if done well can look awesome. Of course the revetting needs to be re-done every 7-10 years too.

Would help of course if every site was just on nice free draining sand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users