5 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

It is related to Architecture. So I hope this is the right place for the enquiry..

I am rather certain mounds and swales are considered and allocated "points" in Rating as per USGA/Australia.

I am not so sure about mounds elsewhere.

I am particularly interested in mounds located in the rough close to fairways.  

I guess landing zones and other factors would be involved.

My question relates to the possible effect of introducing mounds to an area on the course where there is just light rough now existing.

#2 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

http://www.usga.org/...r-e5bf725f.html

mounds = obstacles in landing zones for scratch and bogey golfer may increase scratch and slope for courses

Mounds/swales are better on the fairways and around greens rather than in the rough. Rough is an obstacle in itself, why have 2 obstacles to make recovery even more difficult?

It is supposed to be enjoyable for all!

The overwhelming factor is still effective playing distance if your aim is to get a high slope rating, surely not?

Edited by Shanks4ever, 17 May 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

The overwhelming factor is still effective playing distance if your aim is to get a high slope rating, surely not?

Not after a change in slope.

Somebody sees an answer to a perceived problem is mounds to stop balls running "tto far" into the rough and under trees.

I suspect the condition of the fairway and rough turf grass needs review.

If slope is affected by mounds just another reason to consider .....why do it?...

i

#4 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2850 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Adding mounds to just one hole is hardly going to impact your course rating.

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Adding mounds to just one hole is hardly going to impact your course rating.

Quite right.
We ( I think I speak for the majority of our members) are not interested in making the course harder for bogey players and the slope.
I am concerned that some think we can add something here or or change something without considering the potential for Rating change.
I ( and several others) are still mad that the immediate past Captain added a bunker to a hole about 20 metres short of the green on the fairway. He is guilty of getting away with other ad hoc changes.

#6 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16503 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

Iwas informed, whether rightly or wrongly, that any change to the course will require an application to rerate the hole. This included changes in the height of cut to rough, fairways ad hoc bunkers etc
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users