59 replies to this topic

#1 donkey33

donkey33

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hi all, new member here.

I'm in the market for a new set of clubs and after doing some reading, I'm confused as to how to go about it. The main message from my reading is to get a club fitting first over just walking in and buying a new set based on a review off the internet. So that's what I planned to do.

About me. I'm 32 now and have been playing golf for probably 20 years but I'm just a casual golfer. Maybe once or twice a month, sometimes three times, sometimes no golf in 2-3 months. Just depends. Have always been handy. Have a solid swing and can strike the ball well enough. Never had lessons before and I usually shoot between 81-85 or round abouts.

I want to get lessons now and improve so have been looking at game improvement clubs as well as muscleback-blades. Something to carry me through the next 5 years for when I hopefully get to single digits with practice and lessons. The club I'm most interested in is the Nike Vapor line up (pro and combo) and have also had a good look at the RSi 2 and TP from Taylormade and the Titleist AP2 714s. Only read reviews, have held them in my hands but never had a demo with any.

Now the confusing part, what's the process? Do I buy a set and then get them fit to my swing? Go see a club fitter and get irons after that? It's kind of confusing.

I looked at Drummond and mimatch initially because a friend told me to but all I see is a sales gimmick setup. So I investigated more and found Bryan Ferguson at Albert Park who apparently is good with club fitting. After some more digging, I also found that I'm only 20 minutes from a Taylormade Performance Lab which gives 3D swing analysis.

I ruled Drummond out because I think it's a gimmick and thought I'd go there just to demo some clubs but they don't stock the Nike Vapor line. I've no idea if Bryan Ferguson at Albert Park does that and the Taylormade Lab obviously will be pushing Taylormade. Not sure what the best way to go is.

1. Do I just go to anyone and get a swing analysis done? Even at the Taylormade Lab, they analyse my swing and give me print outs of the stats and a disc of the session.

2. If I'm really into the Nike irons and I know they're a decent iron, there is no way to be fit to these I assume without finding a Nike fitter (not available apparently) so do I have to rule them out or just take the punt and apply other swing info to these clubs?

The Nike's are my focus since I love the look of them. Obviously the combo are probably more my talent at the moment but admittedly I prefer the look of the Pro's compared to the Combo's and that thinner look from above. My iron strikes are the best part of my game (driver and putting worst) so I'd hope I could hit a Nike Pro when I lower my handicap so another question is whether I go for a set that suits right now or try and future proof my game a little by going that bit tougher to hit club but better for when I improve.

Hope that all makes sense and appreciate any feedback. Seriously confused as to how to organise getting a new set of irons.

Thanks

#2 SCU

SCU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

If you are close to the TMAG Lab then you are also close to the MGA Demo Night. First Wednesday of each month from 4-7. Get down there as Nike are usually there along with 6 or 7 others. Also, I know HOG Bayside stock Nike and have a pro there who can fit also.
  • donkey33 likes this

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24396 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Donkey (is that the best you could do for a name?),  all major companies make good clubs.  It's a matter of getting the right type of club (GI, blade, whatever) to suit your game.  There's not a lot of point in getting clubs you can't hit well on the basis that you expect you'll grow into them, because you'll only delay the process.   By all means get some slightly better than your current game, but don't go overboard.

The clubs also need to be some that you like the appearance of (if that's important to you), because it helps your confidence.

From your scores, you seem to be a competent golfer, so a fitting is definitely worthwhile.  Getting fitted by a shop assistant is a hit and miss affair.  See an expert.  Bryan at Albert Park has a good name, as does Jon from Total Golf Performance (9570 9792).  They can get you any clubs you like the look of and specify exactly what shaft, length, loft, lie, etc. that you need to play your best.

To choose what brand, demo days are the best if you are undecided.  Apart from MGA, most clubs have scheduled demo days.  Search the web for demo days and you should be able to narrow down your choice.  If you just can't wait that long (like most of us) go straight to Jon or Bryan.  Their advice will be invaluable.

• KEG and donkey33 like this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#4 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3136 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Just buy a 2nd hand set off here.

Curse them for a month.

Sell them and buy another 2nd hand set :)

Aaaaand, repeat....

• Weetbix, 2Putts, tigertuff and 2 others like this

#5 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9868 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

Donkey; a standard fitting for lie angle, grip size, shaft length and strength is pretty much the norm with any iron purchase so I wouldn't get too concerned about the exact nature of the fitting. These are the most important things  (lie angles in particular) and any competent fitter with a lie board (uncluding drummond, house of golf etc) can make sure these things are correct.

It isn't always a good idea to apply a fitting from one maker to another maker because the "standard" lengths and lie angles of different makers are not the same i.e. you might need 1 degree upright in NIKE but 2 degrees upright in Callaway because they are not the same in "standard".

Shafts (reg versus stiff etc) in irons are a crap shoot at best .... sure a fitter can measure you swing speed during a fitting and look at whether you are a smooth or aggressive swinger and make a recommendation but in the real world of actually playing golf we don't swing our clubs the same all the time anyway so which 6 iron swing should I be fitted for? ... the aggressive high ball flight draw over the bunker  ... or the soft 130 metre fade into the fat of the green ;)

If you can get along to some demo nights at a driving range and hit a bunch of different shafts so you can see what ball flight you get ... if you like what you see then don't worry what he sticker on the shaft says :)

Edited by 2Putts, 23 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

• BumpunRun, tigertuff and donkey33 like this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#6 cerebr_al

cerebr_al

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Agree with all of the above but would add the following..

Playing golf is half about physical ability and half about mental ability. 

The physical can be improved with practice and lessons.  Fitting can help further aligning your clubs with your natural abilities/swing etc.

Now the mental side.

What rules it is confidence.  How do you build confidence?

Get clubs you like that also feel good when you hit a ball with them..

Sometimes this takes a few tries so getting second hand ones might be the canny way to go.

Or, do like I do and lash out and get the clubs you want the most and then practice your arse off until you learn how to hit them properly!  :D

• donkey33 likes this

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a 5 1/2 inch course... the space between your ears."

Bobby Jones.

#7 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Just buy a 2nd hand set off here.

Curse them for a month.

Sell them and buy another 2nd hand set :)

Aaaaand, repeat....

And then repeat another couple times
  • bazinoz likes this

#8 donkey33

donkey33

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

Appreciate the replies. As you all would have picked up, the process confused me but is a lot clearer now.

I'm at dinner but I will go over the responses when I get home as have a couple of comments.

Thanks

#9 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3136 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

And then repeat another couple times ad infinitum....

FTFY mate :)

• Tochakka likes this

#10 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Agree with the above.  If you are close to MGA in Moorabbin, head down to one of their monthly demo days and that way you can see and hit a broad range of irons at the one time and see how they compare with each other within a short time frame.  When you decide on a couple of irons that you like, head down to a good fitter like John at TGP or Pureform at Sandringham and have them fit you up properly into shafts that work for you and correct lie angles, etc.

A new iron purchase isn't cheap, so it is worthwhile to get as much testing in as you can and get fitted up properly.  Just my opinion of course.

• donkey33 likes this

#11 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Just find a store that sells Mizuno irons, grab the most expensive ones that have the shiniest, smallest, sleekest, heads possible, and happy golfing.

As you only play a couple of times a month, that leaves plenty of time to just stare at them lovingly.

Hence ...... you'll want to get the best looking irons out there, as you'll be looking at them much more than actually playing with them.

Hope this helps ...... :D

• tigertuff, KEG, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and 1 other like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#12 Robroy22

Robroy22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSurf Coast

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

Find the heads you like, Go and see Jon at TGP....and he'll do the rest.

Happy golfing!

• Joe79 and donkey33 like this

#13 donkey33

donkey33

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

SCU, OldBogey, 2Putts, cerebr_al, SteveH115 and Robroy22, appreciate the comments and the help.

I'll do the lot and nut this out. My irons are the best part of my game (driving okay, putting terrible), so a good set will only enhance that. Last week I had an 84 with 41 putts which is horrid so there's plenty to work on but a good set of irons that fit me will do wonders as I'm 6'4" and using standard small irons/hunched over.

I'm sure going from no lessons and playing once a month to lessons and playing a couple of times a week (which I plan to do from now on), I'll get my handicap right down so it's only worth to do the lot. Demo nights, testing clubs and I think I'll do see Jon at TGP as he's closer to me and get him to fit all clubs., especially taking a look at the putter.

Thanks again.

Edited by donkey33, 23 April 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#14 Robroy22

Robroy22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSurf Coast

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:07 PM

Cool mate, Jon will look after you.

#15 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9183 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

SCU, OldBogey, 2Putts, cerebr_al, SteveH115 and Robroy22, appreciate the comments and the help.

I'll do the lot and nut this out. My irons are the best part of my game (driving okay, putting terrible), so a good set will only enhance that. Last week I had an 84 with 41 putts which is horrid so there's plenty to work on but a good set of irons that fit me will do wonders as I'm 6'4" and using standard small irons/hunched over.

I'm sure going from no lessons and playing once a month to lessons and playing a couple of times a week (which I plan to do from now on), I'll get my handicap right down so it's only worth to do the lot. Demo nights, testing clubs and I think I'll do see Jon at TGP as he's closer to me and get him to fit all clubs., especially taking a look at the putter.

Thanks again.

TGP has putters as well.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users