Photo

Is Waverly Golf Club The Worst Course In Melbourne?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TiagraWoods

TiagraWoods

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

I recently had the displeasure of playing at Waverly golf club. It is by far the worst golf
Course I have ever played! The condition of the course is absolutely deplorable, and was like trying to find a needle in a haystack trying to find a nice bit of grass on the entire premises! The sooner that joint is swallowed up by developers, the better for everyone!
  • TiagraWoods likes this

#2 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Now that the old Croydon has gone and soon Eastern will be, I think Waverley takes the prize amongst private clubs anyway.

Just love all those power lines!!

#3 Threejagking

Threejagking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

I would be highly embarrassed being a member there. Not much to get excited about!

#4 happytoshoot90

happytoshoot90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

Played there once, never again. Was either last summer or the one before. They had the sprinklers on the 1st tee when we were teeing off, which is just outside the pro shop. Got the guys attention in the pro shop to say can you do anything about this, just got a shoulder shrug. Then found a water hazard on about the 9th I think, which is interesting as there was no hazard. Sprinklers been left on all morning (this was after 11am) so the landing area in the fairway which was a bowl from a downhill tee shot/uphill approach to green, was a swimming pool. Walked off after that.

Never again, how anyone can pay membership fees here is beyond me. Should be land fill.

#5 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17734 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Played there maybe 5 times, but not for a couple of years, and I think it has some good holes.  Biggest problem is being in the wettest part of Melbourne and so all but unplayable in Winter.

A few members have defected to Keysborough in recent months.

ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#6 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8945 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

I recently had the displeasure of playing at Waverly golf club. It is by far the worst golf
Course I have ever played! The condition of the course is absolutely deplorable,
and was like trying to find a needle in a haystack trying to find a nice bit of grass on the entire premises! The sooner that joint is swallowed up by developers, the better for everyone!

there strong colts senior and ladies pennant team would suggest otherwise.

obviously attracts good players to the club.

they had pennant there on 22nd March so would have expected good condition for then.

maybe you just played mid week.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Crown land. The State's 'manager' for crown land is Parks Victoria and all they're interested in is how much money they can scrape off whoever leases anything from them.

I can only guess that Waverley Golf Club have trouble paying for proper maintenance.  I'm not at all surprised at these reports of poor condition.

• Threejagking likes this

#8 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

For a number of years now Waverley has fielded strong Pennant sides in both Mens and Colts. They even won Mens Div 1 in 2010 I believe.

There has been a rumour going around for almost as long that they "look after" certain "recruits" either by offering them jobs or by helping them with their annual subs.

I can understand why some high profile imports would want to be part of Tier 1 Sandbelt clubs and to play Pennant for them, but why would any genuinely talented player go to Waverley unless the rumour was correct?
  • *Mouldy likes this

#9 Midlander

Midlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Woeful golf course. 

#10 Threejagking

Threejagking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

I once heard a guy knifed a wedge shot into the carpark from the Middle of the 11th fairway
  • LongyBoy and Threejagking like this

#11 TiagraWoods

TiagraWoods

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

there strong colts senior and ladies pennant team would suggest otherwise.

obviously attracts good players to the club.
they had pennant there on 22nd March so would have expected good condition for then.
maybe you just played mid week.

Nope.. Actually played their for pennant! And was disgusting. And they do not have strong pennant sides.., far from it!

#12 TiagraWoods

TiagraWoods

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

I once heard a guy knifed a wedge shot into the carpark from the Middle of the 11th fairway

He must have been trying to get to his car ASAP to get the hell out of there!

#13 sdoggyk31

sdoggyk31

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

Horrible joint. Played with 3 others. Lasted 12 holes and walked off. Toilet of a joint for a private club.

#14 kennyc

kennyc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

I used to be a member there. Was the first private club I joined, well over 10 years a go. Was there for a few years and left to Southern. Did not enjoy the place. Radiation city!!

#15 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

live not that far from there , Ive played Churchill, Kingston links, Tirhatuan, Waterford valley and wellington pitch & Putt but never Waverley. yea the lines don't do it for me .

Bit surprised at the remarks as the car park always seems fairly full when I travel past , maybe a bad experience , no heads on the pots or cold pies from the warmer, I dunno...Might be a bit more too it . im always wary of accepting strong opinions on face value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users