pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11653 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

How did I know that someone would take that out of context? :o

You suggested that the difference in number of occurances might be down to less nutcases.( Your words )

I suggested that the availability of guns being drastically reduced due to more severe gun regulations was more likely the reason.

I did not for one moment suggest that these mass murderers were anything but mentally disturbed.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#272 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10131 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Just another example of conflation Pom.

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#273 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

Interesting read.

Just remember, the gun hasn't changed in essentially 50 years. 

We as a society did.  

Edited by racinfarmer, 13 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

• koiom K Frenzy and VLAD like this

Racinfarmer will be signing autographs from 3-5 in the women's locker room.

#274 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Interesting read.

We as a society did.  

Do you seriously think guns haven't changed in 50 years?  Are you high?

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#275 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9752 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'd say more like 130 years when Sir Hiram Maxim got creative ...

Edited by 2Putts, 13 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#276 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Do you seriously think guns haven't changed in 50 years?  Are you high?

So what significant changes have happened in the last 50 years? 

Semi-auto? 

Full-auto? 

Scopes? 

High capacity magazines?

Silencers?

#277 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22521 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Interesting read.

We as a society did.

50 years ago, 1967.
We had machine guns, sub-machine guns, self loading rifles and pistols (some call that 'semi automatic'), grenade launchers, bazookas, etc. No, there hasn't been a lot of change.

Has our society changed a lot? I don't think ours has changed much but in other parts of the world terrorism is rife using religion as the excuse. Violence and lack of respect for others is commonplace.

#278 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11653 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

So what significant changes have happened in the last 50 years? 

Semi-auto? 

Full-auto? 

Scopes? 

High capacity magazines?

Silencers

OK. Guns have not changed that much so please , as an American citizen, Could you please explain why the USA is the only country in the developed nations of this world that has this serious problem of mass shootings by people with no criminal records. Is it that there are a greater % of crazy people in the USA. Hard to believe.If not that then the only other reason I can think of is the availability of these guns.Please explain why this is incorrect.

• Madambo likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#279 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

OK. Guns have not changed that much so please , as an American citizen, Could you please explain why the USA is the only country in the developed nations of this world that has this serious problem of mass shootings by people with no criminal records. Is it that there are a greater % of crazy people in the USA. Hard to believe.If not that then the only other reason I can think of is the availability of these guns.Please explain why this is incorrect.

Fair question(s).  

I think we have more of these type of events most definitely because of the ease of access to firearms, but, look at 30-40-50 years ago when this stuff really didn't happen often.  

What has changed?  We gained the internet, a prevalence of video games, a crappier diet, more mental health issues (we are something like the most medicated nation in the world?), cell phones, smart phones, and the list goes on. 

How many of you had first person shooter video games when you were young?  I certainly didn't.  I'd guess most here didn't and still don't too.  My brothers and I were given an N64 from a friend with a bunch of games.  When we would play it, we drove to hell out of MarioKart, but were never any good at James Bond games or Perfect Dark.  We break out MarioKart from time to time, but there are months on end that the system goes unused.  

I bet over half the guys in my high school and college would play Halo or Call of Duty or GTA at least 2 hours a day, virtually every day of the year.  

I feel as though we have a culture who wishes to take the easy way out of everything instead of face challenges and uncertainty head-on. 

We (not just the US here) have become the most connected society the world has ever known, yet a very disconnected society from actual human interaction and reality.  

Again, not just the US here, but we need to put the phone down, turn off the social media, and get back to talking to people and doing shyt outdoors, being creative, taking up meaningful past times and building stuff with our hands.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go grab another beer and look at my guns.  

• Commish, pom and RobNewy like this

#280 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Also, the Cat from Vegas in particular - don't have a clue, and I'm not sure if I really care.  Our news here in the US is so poor, untrustworthy, and negative, my family rarely watches it.  

#281 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12127 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Fair question(s).  

I think we have more of these type of events most definitely because of the ease of access to firearms, but, look at 30-40-50 years ago when this stuff really didn't happen often.  

What has changed?  We gained the internet, a prevalence of video games, a crappier diet, more mental health issues (we are something like the most medicated nation in the world?), cell phones, smart phones, and the list goes on. 

How many of you had first person shooter video games when you were young?  I certainly didn't.  I'd guess most here didn't and still don't too.  My brothers and I were given an N64 from a friend with a bunch of games.  When we would play it, we drove to hell out of MarioKart, but were never any good at James Bond games or Perfect Dark.  We break out MarioKart from time to time, but there are months on end that the system goes unused.  

I bet over half the guys in my high school and college would play Halo or Call of Duty or GTA at least 2 hours a day, virtually every day of the year.  

I feel as though we have a culture who wishes to take the easy way out of everything instead of face challenges and uncertainty head-on. 

We (not just the US here) have become the most connected society the world has ever known, yet a very disconnected society from actual human interaction and reality.  

Again, not just the US here, but we need to put the phone down, turn off the social media, and get back to talking to people and doing shyt outdoors, being creative, taking up meaningful past times and building stuff with our hands.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go grab another beer and look at my guns.  

Thanks some interesting incite for sure.  There is a much more "sense of fear" mentality in US culture now. Media has created it as we know have so much more access to different bits of info and more imagery.  Make citizens feel unsafe and that creates more gun sales.  NRA has a lot to be accountable for!

• pom and RobNewy like this

#282 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10131 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Bowling for Colombine. You should watch it. Again.

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#283 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Thanks some interesting incite for sure.  There is a much more "sense of fear" mentality in US culture now. Media has created it as we know have so much more access to different bits of info and more imagery.  Make citizens feel unsafe and that creates more gun sales.  NRA has a lot to be accountable for!

The NRA nothing.  The best firearms salesman the world has ever seen was my last president.

Kind of funny thoughts. 

I'm probably more armed than the rest of this forum - combined.

If Mouldy was your Aussie dictator, I could take over Australia with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, by myself.  

• Commish likes this

#284 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12127 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

The NRA nothing.  The best firearms salesman the world has ever seen was my last president.

Kind of funny thoughts. 

And this is when the trouble started....

The NRA does need to be held accountable for their continual obstacles put in the way of any change to gunlaws. I have a general rule to not get caught up in online discussions about politics and religion as they never end well as its impossible to change the minds on such divided topics.

I was actually agreeing with many of your comments in your post I quoted. Some good incite into the American psyche from my perspective anyway.

PS  Correction to your post from my background  "our last president"

#285 racinfarmer

racinfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

And this is when the trouble started....

The NRA does need to be held accountable for their continual obstacles put in the way of any change to gunlaws. I have a general rule to not get caught up in online discussions about politics and religion as they never end well as its impossible to change the minds on such divided topics.

I was actually agreeing with many of your comments in your post I quoted. Some good incite into the American psyche from my perspective anyway.

PS  Correction to your post from my background  "our last president"

Sorry, this is the only forum I'm on that isn't mostly Americans, or at least North Americans (except Reddit).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users