#301 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

Mouldy has another lesson coming up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts
  • LocationEating and Drinking somewhere

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

I did the driver fitting and wasn't terribly enthralled. But that's probably my fault.

The recommendation based on 3 swings was on average 6m more carry and 4m more run. That was with an attack angle of around -5 deg with both the existing and proposed driver combo. I still don't know if the M2 head or the GD shaft made the difference. Not a lot for $800.

What I do know is that fixing my attack angle by getting rid of the OTT swing gets me more than 10m. When I get it right I can tell by the ball flight that the spin is a lot less than the normal 3,000+.

I would've been very impressed had he said after 5 mins, you're wasting your time and money go get you swing fixed and then come back. He is a former teaching pro and so knew the issues.

I hadn't set any budget and really don't have one if I can get an oh wow result. The shaft recommended is very much at the cheap end $200 which was pleasing as I had expected an expensive exotic option to be offered.

Once my swing is fixed I'll jump on Coach's trackman and see the new numbers. If they represent the improvement I expect then I'll treat myself to a new driver.

I'll talk to coach and to Jon about shaft choices and then spend the money. I quite like the M2 head so will buy a used one and then stick an appropriate shaft in there.

One interesting comment was that Ping produce spinny heads. Opinion from Coach was that mere mortals would never know the differences as they are so small.

I also thought that kick point varied a lot but I'm lead to believe it's only about 4cm between high and low.

Moral of the story is the bleeding obvious. Don't go to Pureform if your swing is crap with driver, metals, irons or putter. Fix the swing first and then get fitted.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

"not sure that makes sense but anyway"

#302 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Moral of the story is that when you go to a club fitting, they will recommend the best (in their opinion) setup for you.... 

I appreciate that you like to tinker Mouldy, but in all seriousness, your issues are not club fitting related. 

• Kiwi, RobNewy and Goldy like this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#303 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18351 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

An attack angle of around -5 deg is great ...... if you have an iron in your hand .. not so good with driver ;)

• koiom K Frenzy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) .....  Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1  (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS

2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team

2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)

2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)

2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#304 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9400 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

Interesting that many people only talk distance gains with driver/iron fittings.

The cost per metre gained clearly comes across as a poor investment.

What if they set ups they recommended provided far better dispersion/accuracy?

How much is that worth to us all?

• Kiwi, RobNewy and Mr_C like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog pairs winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist

2016 Keysborough GC April Medal WInner

2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner

#305 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9861 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Interesting that many people only talk distance gains with driver/iron fittings.
The cost per metre gained clearly comes across as a poor investment.

What if they set ups they recommended provided far better dispersion/accuracy?
How much is that worth to us all?

Thats were the skillz of the fitter comes in.
With my 3w fitting, there were longer clubs, but nothing matched the averages of dispersion and distance that i got with my recomemended club

Irons was a little different, was only after distance as dispersion hasnt really been an issue
  • Kiwi, FairwayBomber and koiom K Frenzy like this

#306 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8258 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

I did the driver fitting and wasn't terribly enthralled. But that's probably my fault.

The recommendation based on 3 swings was on average 6m more carry and 4m more run. That was with an attack angle of around -5 deg with both the existing and proposed driver combo. I still don't know if the M2 head or the GD shaft made the difference. Not a lot for $800.

What I do know is that fixing my attack angle by getting rid of the OTT swing gets me more than 10m. When I get it right I can tell by the ball flight that the spin is a lot less than the normal 3,000+.

I would've been very impressed had he said after 5 mins, you're wasting your time and money go get you swing fixed and then come back. He is a former teaching pro and so knew the issues.

I hadn't set any budget and really don't have one if I can get an oh wow result. The shaft recommended is very much at the cheap end $200 which was pleasing as I had expected an expensive exotic option to be offered.

Once my swing is fixed I'll jump on Coach's trackman and see the new numbers. If they represent the improvement I expect then I'll treat myself to a new driver.

I'll talk to coach and to Jon about shaft choices and then spend the money. I quite like the M2 head so will buy a used one and then stick an appropriate shaft in there.

One interesting comment was that Ping produce spinny heads. Opinion from Coach was that mere mortals would never know the differences as they are so small.

I also thought that kick point varied a lot but I'm lead to believe it's only about 4cm between high and low.

Moral of the story is the bleeding obvious. Don't go to Pureform if your swing is crap with driver, metals, irons or putter. Fix the swing first and then get fitted.

Mouldy

coach has a range of heads and shaft combinations you can try at the PGA learning centre, in conjunction with trackman to give you the numbers.

best part is totally unbiased in respect to brand.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour. 

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October 

2012 winner of  BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#307 the piranha

the piranha

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Quick update, I managed to secure the shaft recommended by Pureform for my driver, used but at a very attractive price of $100 (with grip and adapter installed, no FLO'ed), instead of the quoted price at $300. At $100, I am quite happy to take the punt if the shaft doesn't perform like what happened during the fitting. Now to be fair to Pureform, their pricing do match big stores like Drummond and quite competitive to Ebay prices if you are buying new.

Went to a simulator near my place and confirmed that the distance gained during the fitting at ~7-8 percent is quite accurate, so pretty happy with the overall result.

Wonder if I could use a cheaper shaft with similar weight, torque and flight and still get the same performance like the premium shaft,... time for some experimentation in the future...

• FairwayBomber likes this

#308 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

$100 is cheap for an aftermarket shaft

#309 the piranha

the piranha

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Yes, the shaft that fit for me luckily is an old model so price has dropped to around $250, even in US Ebay new it is around $200ish.

#310 madness

madness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Sometimes the angle of attack can be steep because the player is trying to stop the ball going left (for a right hander). They subconciously move the ball back in the stance and stop releasing the club. The new Taylor Made M1 is being offered in a 56 degree lie angle. It should allow you to move the ball forward in the stance and give a full arm and hand release flattening the angle of attack. Or try a shorter club nearer to 44 inches. Same problem with the fairway woods and hybrids. Clubfitters have said for years that lie angle doesn't matter for drivers and putters because of the lack of the loft but as soon as that toe goes up in the air the club will spin around the heel. 

Obviously I haven't seen your swing Mouldy but might be worth looking at.

#311 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9861 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

Sometimes the angle of attack can be steep because the player is trying to stop the ball going left (for a right hander). They subconciously move the ball back in the stance and stop releasing the club. The new Taylor Made M1 is being offered in a 56 degree lie angle. It should allow you to move the ball forward in the stance and give a full arm and hand release flattening the angle of attack. Or try a shorter club nearer to 44 inches. Same problem with the fairway woods and hybrids. Clubfitters have said for years that lie angle doesn't matter for drivers and putters because of the lack of the loft but as soon as that toe goes up in the air the club will spin around the heel. 
Obviously I haven't seen your swing Mouldy but might be worth looking at.

You dont want to see Moudsters swing.
Its like a dog rooting a cricket ball.

Or maybe thats mine. I forget
  • Goldy, Itchy4Scratch and madness like this

#312 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32265 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

The dog or the cricket ball?

#313 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

Are you the cricket ball in this analogy?
  • Goldy likes this

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#314 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9861 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Are you the cricket ball in this analogy?

I really hope not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users