28 replies to this topic

#16 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately. It is funny how many things Hogan described that he did that were wrong. When you read what he said about his ball position and his right foot, what he thought he did and what he actually did are totally different.

Maxie, are you referring to what Kelvin wrote about what Ben Hogan did from a biomechanist viewpoint?

#17 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18138 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

Maxie, are you referring to what Kelvin wrote about what Ben Hogan did from a biomechanist viewpoint?

No, just little things he said that weren't exactly what he did.

He said his right foot was perpendicular to the target line, if you look at footage and photos his right foot was turned out slightly.

He said he uses one ball position and just moves his right foot back further the longer the clubs gets. His ball position moved around quite a bit.

Like you said what we do and what we feel like we are doing are often different.

I don't know enough about the biomechanics to discuss them.

#18 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

No, just little things he said that weren't exactly what he did.
He said his right foot was perpendicular to the target line, if you look at footage and photos his right foot was turned out slightly.
He said he uses one ball position and just moves his right foot back further the longer the clubs gets. His ball position moved around quite a bit.
Like you said what we do and what we feel like we are doing are often different.
I don't know enough about the biomechanics to discuss them.

Yeah, pretty true.
This is Kelvin's article about Hogan.
http://kelvinmiyahir...going-to-get-it
  • MaxxOn likes this

#19 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

Do You's really think hogan publish his secret? Bullshit he worked it out then didn't tell a sole . Among all the guru & so called top teaching professionals they all have different opinions on a massive scale with ever increasing confusion to me that what's you guys have...You's are so far away from what hogan really did let me tell you!!!

#20 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18138 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Why so angry Bro?

#21 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Do You's really think hogan publish his secret? Bullshit he worked it out then didn't tell a sole . Among all the guru & so called top teaching professionals they all have different opinions on a massive scale with ever increasing confusion to me that what's you guys have...You's are so far away from what hogan really did let me tell you!!!

OK I'll let you. Always interested in others perspective if it makes sense.

#22 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:15 PM

Greg Cusack his at Portsea golf club Victoria

Out of interest, do you know if Greg learned his golf in Tassie, King Island perhaps. The reason I ask is that mate (who is an exceptional golfer) mentioned a pro working at the Sunshine Coast who could have been a successful tour pro except for his nerves. This pro learned his golf with my friend at King Island as youngsters.

#23 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

No I don't think so.greg worked at Hyatt coolum now his at Portsea

#24 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Just for the record he's no relation to me.

#25 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:30 PM

Just for the record he's no relation to me.

Who - Greg or Gerry?

I guess we are not getting your take on what Ben Hogan did that is a secret?

#26 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:54 AM

Who - Greg or Gerry?

I guess we are not getting your take on what Ben Hogan did that is a secret?

Haha I'll stay out of that...
I'm talking about homeboy who's names way to similar to mine.

#27 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:03 AM

Haha I'll stay out of that...
I'm talking about homeboy who's names way to similar to mine.

Good idea, but when the golf swing is a hobby, working out what BH did is too enticing.

The only thing that makes any sense with Hogan's swing is that he did exactly what he said he did as quoted in the forward in his book Five Lessons...

"I rolled the face of the club open away from the ball. That cupped my left wrist. Coming down, the face was moving so fast I couldn't turn it over and hook. I was rotating the club like a baseball bat, and the faster I could rotate it, the more distance I got. Training myself, I would roll the face open as fast and as far as I could. With this technique, I could hit the ball straight and further."

What he didn't say was how he held the golf club. I remember reading comments by a retiring professional of the Professional Golfer's Association of America about Hogan's grip when he was winning golf tournaments. According to this gentleman, Hogan had a one knuckle left hand grip with four knuckles of the right hand. At address we would see these five knuckles as he looked down at his grip. The right hand was as far as it could go on top of the shaft with the left thumb on top of the shaft.

With the his grip he had no freedom to shut the face even if he tried. He didn't need to hold off the release as those players with a strong grip, but needed to do exactly what he said he did. It all makes sense to those players who understand how the right arm needs to work in the golf swing - a right shoulder adducted and externally rotated with the right forearm pronated (which Hogan did). Not how Gerry Hogan described in his book - he has the right forearm supinated requiring a flip over before address to square the clubface. Hogan supinated his left forarm and supinated his right forearm through and past impact as described in Kelvin's article.
His right hand grip wouldn't allow his right forearm to pronate because it had no range or freedom to pronate.

His spine and lower body action which powered the swing during those years was very similar to Sam Snead. It did change in his later years probably as a consequence of the long term effects of spinal and pelvic injuries he suffered in his car accident in'49. Snead's action is the role model for tour players today. He was still playing tour events at age 78/9.

#28 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Good to see you on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire tonight Ray.

90EEFB8A-89E7-43F2-A07C-A6E0084CD7FE.jpg
  • Weetbix likes this

#29 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

This is another of Kelvin's articles (these articles are directed to teaching pros) that will give the Hogan fan a concept of how Hogan's swing during his hey-day was unique to the present day golf swing.
If swing guru's used his swing as a model for their teaching (which they did) where does that leave popular golf instruction in the golf industry.

Before Hogan teachers never considered swing plane. So it is a fair bet to give credit to Ben Hogan for introducing swing plane into golf instruction. It may have well been important to his swing with so much going on, but it does raise the question as to why swing plane wasn't an issue for his peers who owned swings less complicated and very similar to the modern tour swing.

http://kelvinmiyahir...op-of-backswing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nunchuck, Gerry hogan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users