28 replies to this topic

#1 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Having purchased a bunch of golf books on eBay for very little, the diamond in the rough was 'the Hogan manual of human performance - golf'. Bloody brilliant. When I read it, tried the theories, and had immediate results, I googled his name and found out about how popular this particular book has been over 25 years.

Reading the book again now, made me think, who if anyone teaches his theories in Australia?

Any comments, advice appreciated.
  • Luke07 likes this

#2 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Gerry Hogan teaches it, at Coolum Palmer. He doesn't work there but I am sure the staff could put you in touch.

There was at least one protege also teaching his stuff at Coolum, and he has moved to Melbourne. I forgot his name, the Coolum people will know, it might come to me.... Greg someone.

#3 Jedeyes

Jedeyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Try Neil Ulmer? He was linked to Gerry in the early to mid 90's! Dunno were u would find him now.

#4 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

Both very helpful thank you. Any other leads?

#5 wisp

wisp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

Jerry posted on the other forum (ozgolf),when the lads were in a nunchuk frenzy. You should be able to pm through the forum if his subscription is current.

Edited by wisp, 31 December 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#6 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Greg Cusack his at Portsea golf club Victoria

#7 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

I have this book too.  I might have a re-read as I don't recall it making a big impression.  John Senden hasn't aged much.

I am not interested in your blog.

#8 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

A few years ago I asked Gerry where he got his swing concepts from when he wrote his book. He mentioned Gary Wise (lefty long driving champion) was a big influence in writing the book.

The book is not based on popular golf instruction, which is a good thing for mine. Unfortunately, like popular golf instruction, it tries to simplify complex swing elements that most readers will misinterpret and consequently get wrong. I came away that Gerry didn't understand it himself and went with Gary's descriptions of what he felt he was doing.

Like most books on the golf swing, it describes the macro movements we can all see but fails to address those key micro movements (we can't see) that cause the macro movements.

#9 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

Trust me Gerry understood the human body in motion way before he met Gary .he knows the human motion not just for golf but many other sports.trust me the man is a genius!!

#10 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Trust me Gerry understood the human body in motion way before he met Gary .he knows the human motion not just for golf but many other sports.trust me the man is a genius!!

Trust me??

#11 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

I know the great man very well

#12 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

How well do we know anybody? How well do we know ourselves? How well do we know our own movements?
Not that well for most of us.

#13 Luke07

Luke07

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Not even going to waste my time on this.all I was trying to do is help someone out about who teaches his theories in Australia & all I get is bullshit from you.youll here more about a player in the next 12months on tour who uses his methods.its not his opinion it's the laws of physics which are correct .

#14 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

If there is a player then he wouldn't have got it from Gerry's book.

His description of posture which is a basic element in the swing conflicts with what the tour players do and what is taught to our elite golfers.

Bullshit???

#15 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17400 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

How well do we know anybody? How well do we know ourselves? How well do we know our own movements?
Not that well for most of us.

I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately. It is funny how many things Hogan described that he did that were wrong. When you read what he said about his ball position and his right foot, what he thought he did and what he actually did are totally different.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nunchuck, Gerry hogan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users