#16 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:10 AM

Economics are what they are. The size of the audience isn't huge so there isn't huge amounts o money. US and Euro tours are much bigger audiences.

And since there are only 3 courses in Australia that you seem to rate the reality is the courses aren't going to meet your expectations very often. But that's your thing.

As Australian events the field is and should be mostly Australians who also don't meet your expectations for quality so your not likely to get much improvement there either.

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#17 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:17 AM

Economics are what they are. The size of the audience isn't huge so there isn't huge amounts o money. US and Euro tours are much bigger audiences.

And since there are only 3 courses in Australia that you seem to rate the reality is the courses aren't going to meet your expectations very often. But that's your thing.

As Australian events the field is and should be mostly Australians who also don't meet your expectations for quality so your not likely to get much improvement there either.

The Australian Open was a good event. It certainly had a quality field.

The pisspoor coverage is the biggest turn off for me personally. I had nothing better to watch yesterday and couldn't be stuffed turning it on. When you watch it done properly for 47 weeks a year it gets shown up.

#18 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:35 AM

It does but that's economics for you - we don't always get what we want - we get what we can afford

And Australia can't afford much

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#19 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12075 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

Sad to see that the Tour has actually gone backwards from last year.

One less event.
Poorer fields.
Poorer courses.

Currently watching the Hero World Challenge and what appears to be a fairly ordinary course is certainly compensated by having a high quality field.

Even the Ho Tram Open looks more entertaining.

Would Australian events get better fields if they played in January? It just seems that everything about Australian events is done on the cheap. You only need to go to an Australian event to see how few cameras are actually on-site.

which event missing?

#20 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

Its a vicious circle.

No prize money. No stars. No crowds. No prize money......

PGA I was surprised yesterday at the complete lack of people. Not more than half a dozen in any group. Most holes just a couple of spectators.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#21 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

Maybe someone had a BBQ?
  • Francie likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#22 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

which event missing?

Perth

Edit - didn't realise it moved to new year.

Edited by Kyrgios, 06 December 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#23 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12075 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

Perth

Edit - didn't realise it moved to new year.

it's more in line with Euro tour schedule?

#24 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

it's more in line with Euro tour schedule?

It couldn't possibly be in a worse spot than recent years.

On a side note I went to the event a couple of years back. Almost zero promotion. Flew back into BNE and there was promotional material for the PGA all around the place.

Chalk and cheese.

#25 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

I just saw the OOM. Aren't WGC events co-sanctioned? Why don't they count?

#26 JCA

JCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

I think the Q School formula has a lot to answer for, although they have tweaked it slightly for the better this season.

In the past you've had 50 odd spots with only the winner really guaranteed a start in the big 3/4 events. The vast majority of the successful graduates are consigned to pre Qing for the T1 events and even some of the T2 events. The way the prizemoney is weighted, you could have have 4 or 5 top 10's in the T2's (which is really all Q School is good for) and not sniff retaining your card because the guys who get the starts in the T1's only have to make 1 cut and they're ahead of you.

The only way to work your way into the bigger events is to either win a T2 event, or fluke a great pre Q round and grab a top 10-15 in one of the big ones which is even harder now as 3 of the 4 are now co sanctioned (and thus more pre qualifiers). There's no incentive for the young guns to stick around in Aus for a couple of years, a card on the Aus Tour is basically just a ticket to play in pro ams for petrol money.

Edited by JCA, 07 December 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#27 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18142 posts
  • Location.

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

And when you have a tournament like The PGA co-sanctioned the only way for the prize money to count on the European Tour Money List is to pay $5500 before the tournament starts to join the European Tour.

We had the situation of Andrew Evans finishing T2nd at The Masters and couldn't get an invite to The Australian Open the following week.

It's pathetic and does fark all for our young up and coming players.

#28 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Stedman finished 60th on the OOM with $24,142 which I presume means he is exempt into all events next year. He made $2475 from the last 3 big tournaments so there is a way to progress if you are good enough.

#29 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16499 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

And when you have a tournament like The PGA co-sanctioned the only way for the prize money to count on the European Tour Money List is to pay $5500 before the tournament starts to join the European Tour.
We had the situation of Andrew Evans finishing T2nd at The Masters and couldn't get an invite to The Australian Open the following week.
It's pathetic and does fark all for our young up and coming players.

Australian Trainee of the year 2015 and winner of Qld Trainees OOM, DIDNT even get an invite to the Open. Go figure...........
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#30 JCA

JCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

Stedman finished 60th on the OOM with $24,142 which I presume means he is exempt into all events next year. He made $2475 from the last 3 big tournaments so there is a way to progress if you are good enough.

Ed is actually a good example. With the rejigging of the exemption categories there is some chance that he will miss out on a category altogether, pending what happens at the NSW PGA. I haven't seen the full revised categories there was talk that the 61-75th on the OOM category would be scrapped. Even if it's not, a poor showing this week will see him outside of the top 60 and won't get any T1 starts next season.

This is a guy that won Q School, has a T3, a 6th and a 7th in 14 starts and unless he has a good week this week, will miss out on all the T1's next year and may not even have a card. He's finished top 7 in a third of his T2 starts, a pretty bloody good effort but is going to be back to struggle city again next year.

It's just so heavily weighted towards the T1's, your entire year relies on having your game catch fire on one of those 3 or 4 weeks. Even the best players can stink it up for 3 tournaments on the trot, it happens all the time. This of course assumes you even qualify for the T1's, Q School grads are totally pushing the proverbial uphill. It's a case where blind luck trumps raw talent unfortunately, and the raw talent heads overseas where there are more than a handful of tournaments and no 1500% increase in prizemoney between one tournament and the next.

• Shanks4ever likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users