#1 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8362 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

At my home track being a 9 green 18 hole course the following could well happen due to the tee positions...

A tee shot ends up on a tee block. The competition of the day is being played preferred lies..... your ball comes to the rest on the tee block within a card length of a tee that's been left in place on the tee block. ..

Can a golfer under the use of preferred lies use said tee as his/hers point of preferred lie or just pick the tee up as a bonus prize and take their preferred lie???

VTTP 006

Miracle

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22536 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

An abandoned tee is neither an obstruction nor equipment, so I can't imagine why it could not be utilised in the circumstances described.

But the odds of those circumstances arising are very long indeed.

#3 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

The player may place his ball on anything already there within the prescribed area.

The odds of this happening is really out there, but I did check with the R&A, and it's ok to use the tee peg as the preferred lie.

Please write here when it happens.

#4 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8362 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

The player may place his ball on anything already there within the prescribed area.
The odds of this happening is really out there, but I did check with the R&A, and it's ok to use the tee peg as the preferred lie.

Please write here when it happens.

Will do Rulesdoc....
This topic came up purely as a result of a hypothetical discussion. ..... as a gut feeling I would have said no you can't use the tee but it's interesting that you can...
The way my course is designed there are maybe 4 to 5 tees that one could end up on..... will have to tell the ladies to leave a few tees in the ground for us.... only joking. ...

VTTP 006

Miracle

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

At my home track being a 9 green 18 hole course the following could well happen due to the tee positions...

A tee shot ends up on a tee block. The competition of the day is being played preferred lies..... your ball comes to the rest on the tee block within a card length of a tee that's been left in place on the tee block. ..

Can a golfer under the use of preferred lies use said tee as his/hers point of preferred lie or just pick the tee up as a bonus prize and take their preferred lie???

You can only take the preferred lie (either on or off the tee) if the teeing ground or tee block is closely mown to fairway length though.

#6 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8362 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

You can only take the preferred lie (either on or off the tee) if the teeing ground or tee block is closely mown to fairway length though.

They are mown to fairway length

VTTP 006

Miracle

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22536 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

Provided the specimen LR, or similar wording, was used.

#8 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

An abandoned tee is neither an obstruction nor equipment, so I can't imagine why it could not be utilised in the circumstances described.

But the odds of those circumstances arising are very long indeed.

It's not particularly relevant to the question in hand, but the abandoned tee is indeed an obstruction.

• RulesGeek likes this

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22536 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'll take your word for that, Colin. I assumed it was a loose impediment.

#10 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

OB

A tee is not a natural object, it is man-made.

Edited by AAA, 18 September 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

It's not particularly relevant to the question in hand, but the abandoned tee is indeed an obstruction.

And it is still equipment if the player has hit his drive but has not abandoned the tee.

I believe there has been a ruling that says a ball bouncing back from the drive and hitting the tee on the ground is ruled under 19-2.

I'm not clear about when a tee becomes abandoned. 

Edited by AAA, 18 September 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#12 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

So are you saying if you pull a tee out of the ground and throw it away cause it's in your way and someone says I was going to use that you could be in breach of the rules

#13 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Reading this Decision I would say that removing the tee isn't a breach, but the someone-player is entitled to have it replaced.

RG, DH?

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22536 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

Interesting, that one, RD.

Wearing glasses, I have difficulty aligning to the side, such as when teeing off.  Accordingly, I use whatever is there on the teeing ground as an alignment aid.  I can't place anything, but a broken tee lying there is excellent.  I've had the odd occasion where I've teed up in line with a broken tee, only to have a FC pick it up to use as his tee.  Typically a par 3 where we're waiting for the green to clear.

#15 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

IMO it depends on who is to play next. If A removes it and plays, B has no right to have it left in place.

If B is to play and A removes it, then B is entitled to have it replaced. 

But when does a tee stop being equipment and become 'abandoned'?

(DH)

Edited by AAA, 19 September 2014 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users