Photo

Right Sided Swing Concept ( Feel Too Narrow And Push Way Way Right )

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hello guys

I'm from the states and a member of right sided golf for a few months now . I love the concept , and on video swing is looking better . But the results of ball flight kinda stink , big big pushes . The narrowness of the swing and the feeling of the right elbow always going forward ( alla hogan ) throws me off . Any suggestions? I'm 6 ft 1 with long arms and always used to swing traditional and flip like crazy ( but did ok with it ) . Is too narrow bad for some of us? Is leading with the right elbow all the way past the left pocket ( in feel ) too extreme

Please help : website on right sided golf is great , but forum is dead

#2 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hi. Not sure that anybody here can help you, but we can only try.  In the backswing the elbows point inwards towards the body during the takeaway and then point downwards during the upswing with the feeling of the  right elbow staying inside the right hip line (on a vertical plane).  The wrists sort of throw the clubhead up in a vertical path with both thumbs going upwards. The elbows stay together with the right forearm turning clockwise away from the target with the elbow staying down.  It is not a comfortable feeling but it gets freer after lots of practice. 

The downswing is the reverse of the backswing with the forearms trailing behind the right elbow and both elbows facing into the body when the hands return through their address position. Check what your elbows are doing on the downswing.  If they separate and or face outwards or towards the target then you will flip or push. The secret is to brace the elbows together at the top and keep them together until the completion of the swing. Of course the lower body and core is driving the forward swing, not the arms and shoulders.

#3 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Thanks ignoramous . My right elbow always feel like stays in the right hip and than leads past left pocket in transition. . I have to be honest and say I am shallowing the club now .. Big time for a steep cast flip guy like me. .. And now have good impact alignment because of it .. But like you said. , it takes time .. And the results are huge weak pushes . Haven't even thought about this with the driver yet . I feel like I hug the wall with right side of my body. Elbow leads and forearms behind

#4 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

Attached File  image.jpg   215.77KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   235.81KB   1 downloads

The narrowness is just throwing me off .. Feels so so weird . Will stick with it , takes time

#5 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

The narrowness is just throwing me off .. Feels so so weird . Will stick with it , takes time

Are those pics during an actual swing or in a stationary pose?

#6 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Ignoramous Today .. I think the right sided is all short backswings . When I go long I go bad

You know a lot about the swing . Excellent advice about elbows

Edited by Hole1483, 19 August 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

You remind me of one of our local pros, Martin Ayers. It was through Martin (indirectly) on a golf forum that I extended my knowledge of the swing. I wonder what became of Martin? Nobody here can teach you to improve on that swing. Cheers.

Edited by Ignoramus, 19 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#8 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2266 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Great swing there Hole. Interested in your driving range, is that a farm yard?

I haven't heard of the Right Sided Swing, so I did a bit of a search on it to find out more about it. I found a few videos and suffered several minutes of unintelligible jibberish. Not one of the presenters was able to articulate what the fundamentals of the method are. It seems like you have to be totally inarticulate to qualify as an instructor for RSS. :(

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 19 August 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#9 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hey Hole

Good looking swing mate.

I could be wrong, what I've been shown of the RSS you are firing the hips too early in the swing causing those misses. I've been taught that the top half pushes the lower half out of the way, not the other way around.

Also your shoulders look open.

Good luck.

#10 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yep

I live on a 10 acre horse farm , we raise and adopt wild mustangs from Wyoming area of the United States . Not crazy wild at all , untamed / but they are probably the calmest horses in the world . They look at me swinging and probably laugh :) . I have engulfed myself in this rss swing pattern for the last few months . " stirring the pot" on short punch shots is where it is at . And maintaining postures . Still have over swing issues and flipping a bit . But I'm going to stick to the stir the pot punch shots for an hour a day until the snow falls here in a few months .

I think I'm overdoing the address hand posture a bit which gives me an open shoulder look .. But with this method I can really come as close as I ever have to dropping the club onto the right arm ( shallow the shaft) . I hang on the wall ( right and stay right ) . Still overswing , and I'm hoping one day my punch shot length of backswing will gradually Ingrain into my full swing .

The more I shallow it the more my hips fly open to square the club . No goat humping which is nice with this method .. Easy to follow , and you kinda learn on your own . The forum is pretty dead on their website , but the videos are alive and well :) . The rss swing is more like the punch swing I practice not a back and forth classic left sided swing . Stack and tilt clone but left shoulder stays higher than the right . Which eliminates the classic stack and tilt : "tilt"'of shoulders in backswing. I'm thinking this swing produces low draws , but not that advanced yet .. Nor have I tackled the driver with this . I basically hit 100's of 6 irons

And I use a 10'finger baseball grip

Edited by Hole1483, 19 August 2014 - 05:55 PM.

• Madam likes this

#11 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Stinks .. You guys have the best teachers in the world in your country . Too bad i can't relocate the mustangs to the land down under .
  • Madam likes this

#12 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14590 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Stinks .. You guys have the best teachers in the world in your country . Too bad i can't relocate the mustangs to the land down under .

a few of the good aussies working in US as well;)

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#13 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Have u put your swing side by side with Rod Pampling, he is proto RSS.

Also Gary Edwin teachs RSS and does online lessons.

Good luck.

#14 Double bogey

Double bogey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:29 AM

Been on rss site for a month now. The videos are 1 st class, I'm learning thru working on a drill his son Luke gave me. The short punch swing , working on hand set ( bent right arm) and forward press hands . And bending more from the hips and maintaining right elbow bend.

I think that drill will be enough for the whole year really.

Great program really

#15 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

I am on a similar journey with my pro, alas I have been over doing the practise and am on 'pause' 4 weeks off. 

The narrowness you speak about is very unusual to begin with.  I found that my shoulder alignment was out and that caused the pushes. Like mrbluu said.

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users