#1096 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

So far I'm reading when it's a good swing it is great and when Deege puts a bad swing on it, then she gets a bad result !

No Harry Potter magic in the game of golf :)

Jon...

I guess this analysis is true in most areas of the golf game.  The 64 million dollar question is how do you increase the frequency of the former and decrease the latter.

My problem with my driver swing has been a recent issue, whereas beforehand I drove the ball (with the same driver) fairly consistently without much thought about it.  I specifically never had lessons with the driver cause I didn't want to jinx it.

However I know that over time I have changed and tweaked my swing and my setup and a whole range of things which have seen an improvement in my long game generally.  More recently, this has led to less reliable performance with the driver.  I don't need to have it perfect, but I had no feel for what was causing the issue on course or how to prevent it, which led to a complete breakdown in confidence with that club - meaning late in the round it would get pretty darn ugly as I consciously was trying to bring the club square.

I don't mind hitting a poor shot, but I was hitting a consistent bad shot and I don't know how to correct mid-round (or at all).

Anyway, I have a back up plan with the 3 wood which I hit as consistently as any other club in the bag, but I would like to persevere to try and get the driver back on track.  At the moment, that has meant a lesson on alignment, a lesson regarding a slight adjustment to my grip, an adjustment to the club itself and now another lesson with some more tweaks to my set up.

Still obviously a work in progress, but my standards for what I want to achieve are actually pretty modest.  I just want to be able to hit driver off the tee most of the time when it is warranted and have it not be the worst/most destructive part of my game.

When I manage to improve it enough that something else becomes the worst/most destructive part of my game, then I will move on to focus on that.

• hack2489 likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1097 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41667 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Good plan Dan

There’s lots of hating on the driver on golf forums but when it’s on it’s a huge benefit
  • hack2489 likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1098 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35172 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Mouldy will give you a few driving tips on Sunday
  • Deege likes this

#1099 jrg1166

jrg1166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

Not sure these tips will cure the problem or exasperate the issue.  There is also the need to be in the same mental space as Mouldy to understand them and I am sure there as some pretty heavy duty drugs required for this. 

#1100 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Oddly enough, I have come to the considered position that I should really follow my coach's instructions and ignore other flogs from the internet.

• jrg1166, iRON MiCK, Goldy and 3 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1101 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38497 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Oddly enough, I have come to the considered position that I should really follow my coach's instructions and ignore other flogs from the internet.

An unusual stance to take.

Here.

• jrg1166, koiom K Frenzy, Joe79 and 1 other like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#1102 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13633 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Works for me. ..

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#1103 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

An unusual stance to take.

Here.

The ball outside your left foot with 90% of your weight forward is another one too
  • jrg1166, Goldy, koiom K Frenzy and 2 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#1104 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Well had a good hitout at Trentham today.  Nice little course, but quite narrow, so probably not the place to be practising new setup and stance with the driver.

Results were mixed.  

Spent a lot of time in the right rough or trees.  Still haven't really got the new stance or swing working, but I think it was having some effect. My pro said that I should expect to block a few while I am adjusting to it, and there was a lot of that today certainly.  But I didn't really see any that had that real veering slice which is what I have been trying to get out of the game.  So hopefully that means that there was some progress to be seen.  More work to try and get everything working the way it should so I don't feel completely unbalanced.

Reasonably pleased with putting.  Was using a blade putter which was the first time in a while, but it didn't really seem to affect my stroke very much, so I would feel comfortable putting it back in the bag sometime, but my new ping will be back in the bag next week.  I did notice a real difference being properly able to align over the ball with the shorter flatstick, so looking forward to improvement when I have the ping back with the shorter shaft.

Bunkers mixed.  Had a double hit out of one of them, then caught a bad lie right on the edge of one with my feet outside the trap and bladed it into the next fairway, then had a lovely sand shot on the last leading to a sand save par.  So we had all sorts.

Course really required me to play differently than I am used to - and was a nice pleasant change.  Would have been nice to see what I could have done if I could have kept it on the short grass.

• RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1105 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Stableford at Rosebud and it was very chilly early.  Had had some putter renovations done with it cut down a couple of inches and the grip straightened.  Whether as a result or not I had a great putting day, very solid all day.

The long shots weren't quite as reliable.  Struggled again with driver all day as I tried to implement my new stance tweaks.  It didn't do me too much harm, but need to get to the range to have a good practice before the OOM.  A bit scrappy coming home and I missed the putt on the last which would have given me 30 points for the day so not many redeeming features at all.  So all in all primed for a mid table at best round in the OOM.  Should be a good day anyway.

• iRON MiCK and ink like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1106 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

And if I had holed that putt on 18 I would have had a flag, true to my typical form at the moment.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1107 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Had a lovely day at the OOM today.  I really like the Legends course.  It has a good mix of holes, many of which really make you think about your shots.  Not too many places would see me have a par five where I am hitting 5 wood off the tee.

Today was an opportunity to do some more work with driver.  Was hitting them well on the range so pulled up stumps after half a bucket to avoid wasting them.  And I was pretty good off the tee for most of the day.  Hit two total stinkers ironically on the holes where I took a more conservative club.  Will have a look at the stats when I upload the gamegolf data.   But if the driver progression goes along like that I will be pretty happy.

Had some nice shots, though I reckon I had to play about 4 or 5 approach shots out of sanded divots which led to the outcomes that you might expect.  And really, a few bad breaks were all that stood between my round and an actual good score today.  My 31 points has flagged and knocked a smidge off the cap for next week.

I had one three putt for the day I think and the rest of the time my putting was pretty good (some might even say it was sexy).  Had some poor shots but mostly it didn't hurt my score too much.  Ended up with a messy wipe which saw me trying to hole a backhand wedge from the edge of a bunker for one point and missing.

Great group and great day as always.

• Kiwi, Francie, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1108 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5253 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Sounds promising.
Also - like a lady with sexy putting.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1109 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4520 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Sounds promising.
Also - like a lady with sexy putting.

It was one of the more unorthodox comments from Beef in our playing group.  Assuming he makes it to Nationals, it is going to be very amusing.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1110 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5253 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Excellent. Golf needs some more characters these days.
  • Deege likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users