#991 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

So played stroke on Saturday.  Was looking forward to it after a golfless weekend before thanks to the GREAT STORM ™.  Got to the course too late for a proper warm up which is never a good sign.  Popped my approach in the bunker on the first and fed exed it, bit too exuberant on the chip and back in the bunker for another fedex, leading to a crowd pleasing 8.

From there I just couldn't get anything going.  Though I didn't have any other brain fart holes, it was good that I got the bunker technique under control as I was in the sand all day.  My putting was just missing, leading to a couple of three jabs for the day.  Made the turn in 52 (!!) and was desperate to bring the score back to some semblance of decent.  Came in with 46 on the back after I managed my only par for the day on 17. 

I really enjoyed playing, but it was frustrating to be bringing so much crapola to the table.  Hit some lovely shots at times just not at the times that counted.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#992 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Just a quick update from my round on Saturday.  It was pretty up and down in more ways than one.  Playing off 18 for the first time since June and came round the front in 17 points which was flattering.   A real pattern of alternating great shots with absolute shockers.  A case in point is the index one long par 4.  Hit a cracking drive and a great 5 wood to be 10 metres short.  Duffed my pitch then duffed a chip to still be short of the green.  Then hit an absolute cracker of a chip to a foot to save a point.  Another hole had a similar profile and ended up holing a texas wedge from well off the green for a two pointer.  

It all caught up with me a bit on the back 9 where I wiped my way around to be well in the poo, then parred all three par 5s coming home to be in danger of rescuing a half decent score.  On the last hit the best drive I ever have on the hole leaving me in range of GIR, which I pulled into the bunker.  Hit a decent shot off a downhill like which just clipped the lip and hacked my way deeper into the sand ending with a double hitler to wipe the hole.  Ended up with a disappointing 30 points.  Two points on the last would have seen me flag.

Off to keysie tomorrow to watch Mouldy shank into the water on the 3rd then stableford at Rosebud on Saturday.

• RobNewy, Francie, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#993 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Lovely day at Keysie today with Wozz, CB80 and Mouldy.  Was a bit scratchy on the front nine turning with 14, but managed to get it together a bit better on the back 9 for 17 and a total of 31 - so essentially the reverse of my round last week but I feel so much better about it.

Had some trouble with bunkers a couple of times, but Lord knows I was in them enough so hit some good shots as well.  Was struggling to adjust to being in range of GIR more often than I normally do.  So I was doing the rush of blood thing and going for it regardless of the consequences.  Would have done better on several occasions to just bunt it up short of the trouble and would have had a good chance to get up and down more often than not.

Had a couple of three putts while I was getting the speed of the greens, one poor putt and a lot of nice ones in the 4-8 feet range.  Hit some good shots (for me) and above all had a lovely day with great company.  Mouldy didn't manage to hit it in the water on 3 so that was a relief.

• Can Break 80, Weetbix, RobNewy and 4 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#994 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Stableford at Rosebud today.  Bit of a mixed day weather wise, and the golf was much the same.  Started on fire with 3 pars in a row.  Couldn't sustain that pace, but ended up with 20 on the front nine for no wipes.  About the turn the weather set in with the wind and some squally rain getting up.  Was trying to concentrate on just playing sensibly in the conditions and trying to keep on top of the two pointers and managed it mostly, until a couple of nasty wipes on the 16th and 17th

16th - topped my tee shot on what is already a three shot par 4 for me, got it back into play - couldn't reach the green with my third so played a 'sensible' 9 iron for position which I dunked into the fairway bunker.  Didn't come out cleanly, chipped onto the green but not close, couldn't hole the putt

17th - semi-topped drive when I didn't learn my lesson and teed the ball too low.  Fairway wood into left rough, fairway wood to position for short iron in.  Dunked the 8 iron approach in the greenside bunker, airmailed the bunker shot, duffed chip, good chip but didn't go into the hole.  That hole hates me anyway, so 4 unforced errors is going to make it hard to score.

Ended up coming home in 13 points for another disappointing round in the thirties.

Frustrating at the moment to actually be hitting some really good shots (managed a beautiful GIR on the third hole that I never reach) but then have some absolutely ridiculously poor shots to throw away a good score.

This one might actually flag but it will depend on the DSR and I have a flag coming off so I expect little change in the handicap.

• RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users