#932 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Ambrose on Saturday which was super fun.  Hit some nice shots - am sure that I hit some terrible ones as well, but it is ambrose so those are all forgotten.  The golf bag is all packed and sorted for the weekend.  Shoes cleaned, new spikes inserted.  Just need to make sure I have some clothes to wear and all will be golden.

• Goldy likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#933 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36484 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Welcome to my world.

• BumpunRun and Deege like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#934 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Okay so day one of Nationals at Riverside Oaks at the Gangarru course (hope that is the right name - can't be bothered looking it up).

The course was enjoyable enough with a lot of water in play, but the greens were painfully slow and made putting very difficult.  The day however was really made by the company.  Had a round with Zookeeper and Notupnotin.  We all had some good shots and some not so good.  I managed a birdie on one of the short par 3s, before I was rudely beaten for closest to the pin by Wozz.

I ended up with 33 points which I was thrilled with as it is the first 30+ score I have had in some months.  My last flag for a while dropped out and handicap went out a tiny bit, but now have some rounds at some of the hardest courses in New South Wales to try and bring on some good form.  Excellent.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#935 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Day 2 of Nationals at Riverside Oaks Bungool Course.

I started poorly and didn't really feel like I was getting the hang of it until half way through and still didn't manage to score very well - leaving me with a very lacklustre 22 points for the day.  I loved the course though.  Unlike yesterday I found myself thinking of how I would like to try to play a particular hole again and see if I could do it better.  There were plenty of different ways to approach each hole and I think our group tried all of them.

Speaking of which, I was playing with 2Putts (who very much was the captain of our 4BBB team and almost the only contributor), Groovesnob and Yarn.  Needless to say, much amusement was had by all, though there was plenty of frankly pretty bloody ordinary golf.  I regret nothing except a couple of nervous short putts that I managed to botch - one of which was for a frankly very much needed birdie.

Anyway, another Nationals main event run and done and now looking forward to the extra credit rounds this week.

• snorkelguru likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#936 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9814 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

Loved your work today Deege .. tough gig listening to so much whining and moaning around the course ;)  ... and watching 18 putts come up short.

Tear it up tomorrow ....

• Deege likes this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

#937 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Loved your work today Deege .. tough gig listening to so much whining and moaning around the course ;)  ... and watching 18 putts come up short.

Tear it up tomorrow ....

Bloody A graders "ooooh, my birdie putt just slid by...  My approach shot is outside 10 feet, my gold teeth hurt and my diamond shoes are too tight"

Seriously though, you played a great round today buddy.  Was a pleasure to watch.

• BumpunRun, Groove_Snob, Kiwi and 4 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#938 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36484 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

Bloody A graders "ooooh, my birdie putt just slid by... My approach shot is outside 10 feet, my gold teeth hurt and my diamond shoes are too tight"

Seriously though, you played a great round today buddy. Was a pleasure to watch.

POTY right here.
  • Deege likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#939 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

So first for the round at Bonnie Doon yesterday morning.

I thought it was a great fun course.  They were playing preferred lies on several fairways but to tell the truth, we couldn't see anything wrong with them and didn't prefer a lie all day.  Had some good variety.  While some might have been exclaiming the fact that there was at least one par 5 that was easily reachable for the boys, I should point out that none of them hit the green in two, and it was the first place I have played where if I hit two pure shots I could theoretically have reached the green in two (but I munted the second shot so no joy there).  This was played off against some short and tricky par 4s and some long and challenging par 4s with lots of changes in elevation (glad I was playing in a cart).

The highlight of the day was a lovely sandy on one of the par 3s where I was in a deep bunker and couldn't see the green or anyone on it, managed to hit a great shot out that with some help from the sloping green fed back to the hole and then holed the putt.  Lovely.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#940 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yesterday afternoon at New South Wales.  The course was spectacular.  The quote of the day comes to the guy who, when we were all milling around the second tee watching people hit bunkers and lose balls and straight out top it off the tee, comes to us out of the blue and says "Fellas, you know this is index 18 don't you?".  Classic.

The course was very challenging and lots of blind shots and false fronts.  It was difficult to plan not knowing how much space you had or where the danger was.  Personally, I have had a few poor short putts over the weekend and yesterday and now it is in my head a little bit, so I leaked a few points that I shouldn't have.

Had a lovely shot in to the par 5 running down the hill to the water and ended up pin high about 5 feet away, but predictably the putt slid by.  Would have been lovely to have a birdie on that hole.

The long day caught up with me on the run home.  After having a serviceable 15 on the way out, I wiped two holes in a row off the tee when I couldn't get a shot or a provisional in the fairway and then limped home after wiping the 18th for good measure with a meagre 11 on the back.

Nonetheless a truly enjoyable day.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#941 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

Great to see you again Deege and have a hit together at Bonnie Doon

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#942 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

So, final day at the Lakes.

A very breezy day which certainly had an impact on the game.  As someone said - it seemed like 16 out of 18 holes were into the breeze.  I had a very mixed day - some great holes (including a birdie) and some complete write offs.

I had spent a little time on the putting green prior to the round working on my short putting and realised that I was departing from my normal technique on short putts and wasn't swinging my shoulders properly.  So that seemed to do the trick and I was much better on those short to mid range putts.

The red course was set up pretty hard - it was already rated 146 and there were many holes where the women's tees were behind the blues - two or three of them were par 5s for us v par 4s for the men, but the vast majority had the blue course notionally longer on the scorecard but shorter in reality.  I wondered whether there was a women's medal or similar on which would explain the tough set up for the women, or it might just have been that the blue course was playing much shorter than normal.

I struggled my way round to 31 which I was very happy with in the end, but obviously well below the heights of others.  To me, it was one of the better rounds I have played in recent months - considerably more happy with that score than the 33 that I shot at RSO Gangarru on Saturday, but golf link doesn't agree.

Anyway, really enjoyed the course and in fact the whole time away.  As an added bonus, despite Sisty's best efforts we didn't get lost on the way to the airport, and I managed to catch my plane and everything and am now extremely weary.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#943 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

It was great to meet up Deege.

Hopefully we can have a game together next time.
  • Deege likes this

#944 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Nationals washup

So, after a report on my rounds, I thought I would summarise some of my reflections on my Nationals experience as a whole.  First, I was really pleased that I managed to come.  For all the crap given to the Vics for not travelling, I found that as a first time golf traveller, there was a fair bit to organise and get on top of.  But all went well and I enjoyed myself thoroughly.  Things got a bit sketchy when I inadvertantly revealed to Mr Deege that we actually had to pay high green fees to play these courses, but I managed to bluff my way through it.

As for the golf, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I had two rounds that I would consider decent - 33 at RSO Gangarru and 31 at The Lakes.  One poor round (at RSO Bungool) and two average (at Bonnie Doon and NSW).

I was a little surprised that I didn't flag on any of those rounds, but I guess it was a reflection on the fact that I am playing off my highest handicap for a while, so I actually do need to play better than my cap to flag.  Anyway, there were some nice things to take away.

I have mentioned my short putts issue but I think I am on top of that generally, and if not will do a little more work.  To offset it, my long putting was generally very good all weekend.  The three wood performed well most of the weekend.  I will load up my games on gamegolf tonight and see whether that generates any insights.  Bunkers were pretty good considering the highly bunkered courses we were playing. No fedexes (I had one go through the green, but more cause I was coming out of a DEEEP bunker to a narrow green - nothing wrong with the technique.  I had one bunker wipe and a couple of hitlers, but overall I thought my ratio of good shots to bad was about what I would expect from my chipping or putting or any other part of my game, so I am happy with that.

I will be interested to get back to my home course and see how I go playing a familiar course.  I don't have any more ventures planned until the OOM, so looking forward to having a few low pressure rounds.  With the Nationals rounds, I have almost burned through my rounds without a flag, so the handicap might well continue to leak out unless I can get a few decent scores on the board.

Probably looking to have another visit with supercoach in the next month or so to do some work as well.  We will see how we go.

• ink likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#945 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

It was great to meet up Deege.

Hopefully we can have a game together next time.

You are on!

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users