937 replies to this topic

#721 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23749 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

I can have a big rant about groups and dropouts and grown adults who can't sort out their own shite and making a courtesy phone call on the day to say we won't be coming while other people are going to a lot of effort for them if you'd like Deege?

Half the Trentham dream team

#722 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23749 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Dan
You did a sterling job under tough cond's & sadly the cat herder is once again a poison chalice in the scoring dept.
  • Short Putt Man likes this

#723 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Nah, truth is I don't always play courses I don't know very well and I didn't hit the ball terribly well.  That is not really what it is about with the OOMs, though, it is getting the chance to spend time with mates and have a bit of a laugh.  And the Sandhurst OOM definitely delivered on that score.

• Kiwi likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#724 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23749 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Good oh

#725 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Nah, truth is I don't always play courses I don't know very well and I didn't hit the ball terribly well.  That is not really what it is about with the OOMs, though, it is getting the chance to spend time with mates and have a bit of a laugh.  And the Sandhurst OOM definitely delivered on that score.

You do know.....if you hadn't run into that tree, you may have had a better knowledge of the course.   :D  :lol:

• RobNewy and Goldy like this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#726 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

You do know.....if you hadn't run into that tree, you may have had a better knowledge of the course.   :D  :lol:

Very true.  So I can blame that flinging flanging tree for my paltry return on Sunday.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#727 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

Okay out today for a Stableford round at Rosebud.  Was playing off 14 for the first time ever and didn't have a clue which holes I lost shots on.  Turns out I had two on each side - three of the par 3s and a short par 4.  Did alright on the first nine managing 18 points with a wipe.  On the back the driver was less under control, and it led to a couple of wipes on the back, which I couldn't manage to get back from.\

I ended with 12 on the back and a total of 30 points.   That still might flag depending on DSR, given that my handicap is a lot lower than it has been.  Putted and chipped well all day and overall reasonably happy with my first outing off 14.  Wasn't outclassed by the handicap, and plenty to work on going forward.

• RobNewy and Francie like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#728 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Replaced my highest flag (just).  Back to 12.6 baby.

• RobNewy and Francie like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#729 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

Poor day of golf yesterday - just couldn't get anything going and, after salvaging a better than expected score on the front, it all fell apart on the back.  Driver in the naughty corner again.

I then met with my old coach and clubfitter to talk about irons and driver.  We spent an hour testing irons, after I explained that I wanted to move to a more flexible iron to enable me to expand the sorts of shots I can play with my irons rather than the super game improvers which just seem to be able to hit them high.

We tested a heap of different clubs and shafts and narrowed down to what I was hitting the most consistently.  Looks like Callaway Steelhead XR.  We tested a bunch of shafts and settled on one that was working the best - virtually all of the shafts we tested were senior flex, but there were different types so I don't know what we ended up with.

I have a 7 iron to have a play with on the weekend just to see how it goes in the wild before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

Judging on the numbers I will see about a 10% increase in distance, which is nice, but we were really talking about chasing a consistent strike and ball flight.  There were clubs I was hitting further but less consistently, so we steered away from them.

I then had a chat to him about my driver woes.  He put a couple of different drivers in my hands, but my fault was reproducing with all of them, so he suggested we still have work to do with mechanics before changing driver setup.   So we quickly looked at some adjustments to work on and hopefully I will see some improvement going forward.  I actually found it quite an interesting exercise to talk to two different coaches about the same issue.

• BumpunRun and RobNewy like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#730 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Played stableford, but was expected to be no more than a practice round.  Trying out a new grip on the advice of Formercoach, and had a spec model of the new irons in the bag to try out on the course.  Particularly wanted to try out shaping shots and using the club to achieve different ball flights, so was choosing it in all sorts of situations where it wasn't the best option so that I could try out what it could do.  

So between the occasional total mishit as a result of the weird new grip, and the occasional weird shot from my experiments and it didn't make for the best options for a consistent round.  In truth I actually played alright apart from the holes where everything fell apart and I couldn't recover it.

Putted very well which was a plus.  But no pars at all for the day so that was the end of that.

As for the experiments, they were interesting.  The slightly stronger grip that Formercoach had me using certainly had a positive effect in minimising my poor driver shot and I hit a lot more fairways than I have been just lately.

As for the new irons, the few full shots I used it for were okay, but totally not used to the feel of it.  As for the mucking around shots, I had a blast.  From under the trees I could get a lower ball flight with the 7iron than I can with my current 5 iron, and made much better contact.  I managed to hit a lovely shot that I would never be able to with my current irons on another hole - I had to get under some trees and then over a bunker to hit the green, and I managed all except the hitting the green, with the shot running through the green.

Anyway, have to wait a couple of weeks to pull the trigger on the irons, but definitely will do.  Having fun with them on the course reminded me of another thread where Itchy was talking about sexy irons making sexy shots, and I was certainly feeling like these were going to give me much more fun than my current set.

• RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#731 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22536 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

If you can't have fun while playing, there's little point.

#732 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

So give us a clue as to the make-up of the new test iron, make, model and the shaft, please ?

Jon...

#733 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Heads are the Callaway Steelhead XR, but I am not sure the shaft we ended up with.  Will check.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#734 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Okay so played yesterday and had another disappointing day.  Driving much improved but still not entirely there, but am pleased with the outcome of the adjustments to the grip.  The day was actually pretty grotty with some squally showers interspersed with brief moments of sunshine which were quite warm.  Spent the whole day changing clothes to take account of the weather.

Add to that it was super slow, and we were playing as a three, so the day just went on forever.  We were over a half hour behind after 9 and it didn't speed up after that.

At the moment with the golf I am feeling like I keep looking for holes to catch up on, and all of the "easy" potential pars are now required to be pars, so no ability to catch up on errors.  So I finished up yesterday feeling frustrated at my ability to make pars, and then realised I had had at least three, but only one that translated to a three pointer.  It is a real shift in mentality for me.  I think I might have to reset my expectations to the trick of aiming for 5 on every hole, and treating the par 3s as bonuses.  If I score 90 every week, I will get a flag every time, so I need to stop worrying so much about the stableford score on particular holes.

The chipping was pretty good and putting was generally okay, but had a couple of disappointing 3 putts from long range.  My error records show that most of the problems came from simple mis-hits from the fairway, so probably a reflection of still getting comfortable with the new grip.

Few more rounds before the flags start dropping off, so hopefully things will slot back into shape soonish.

• RobNewy likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#735 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

So give us a clue as to the make-up of the new test iron, make, model and the shaft, please ?

Jon...

Still waiting, now with baited breathe !

Jon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users