#31 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Had to pull the pin on my round this weekend due to a nasty bout of the flu.  But I popped down to the course yesterday for a bit of a practice.  

I did a bit of work on my bunker play and was happy with my progress with the new approach.  I am now feeling like I am at least as consistent with this approach as I was with the old one, so hopefully that should lead to some more consistent play on course.  Still not getting quite the high flight that I am aiming for on every shot, but our practice bunker has a fairly high lip, so that will hopefully eliminate some of the frankly frightful shots I have been showing in the transition.

Working on the pitching was also good - starting to get a good feel for these shots and focussing on the rotation is good for me.

I finished up with some short putting practice - holing 6 putts from each of 6 points three feet away from the hole.  Trying to work on getting that consistent and repeatable stroke on the short putts, when I think I am inclined to become a bit "handsy".

Then I had some two putt practice - I pick a point and a hole - depending on how I am feeling my start point will be anything from about 10m to 35m.  Yesterday was about 25m.  I had 6 balls to putt into the hole.  Par is 12.  Do it twice and try to beat your score.  I like it because I actually go through my full routine - mark the ball, re-align it, so it feels like playing on the course.

• Madambo likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#32 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Deege my coach is telling me to play bunker shots with same technique as the pitch and to rotate same way it works a treat as long as you take some sand first , is your guy saying the same to you ?
  • Rusty_Chopper_1984 likes this

#33 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Ray,  yes, basically my new focus on the rotation is coming from working on bunker shots.  I had been using an open stance, open face kind of technique that I saw in a golf magazine, but now he has me using a much less open stance, a fairly square face using my lob wedge and concentrating on getting a big turn.  One of the advantages is that with less wrist movement, it needs less constant practice to keep good contact.  I am finding it a bit nerve wracking as I am still grooving the way that the swing should feel - so I get some big errors, but when I get it right, the ball pops up nicely and I can just regulate distance with how hard I am hitting it.

It is certainly a simpler and more reliable technique, which is important for me because I only play once a week and only get at most one practice session a week.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#34 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Same here my bunker play was terrible until I switch to doing this ( I was all hands n wrists ) now it just distance control that I need which comes from practice ,

#35 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Mine was okay, but it depended on me doing some practice bunker shots every week - when I stopped doing that, it turned inconsistent pretty quickly.  I like this technique pretty well and particularly appreciate my coach steering me towards solutions which will work for me with the amount of golf/practice I am able to do.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#36 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Yeah mine is the same looking for consistency so can maintain a low handicap . I have been in and out of form , play well for a month or so breakdown to 10 loose form go back out to 12 or 13 practice get tempo/form right break down to 10 have done it 3 times now . This time I am changing swing so it's not so hand/ wristy , get on plane and stay on plane, turn hips more , shorten and flatten back swing , basically get hands arms and hip turning all in sync and close together , think I got it yesterday, going to range today or tomorrow see if I can repeat it

#37 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Okay, so a good time to refresh and review how my run up and preparation for the club championships has gone.

Overall I am pretty pleased with my work.  I succeeded in getting my handicap low enough to play in A grade, which is nice.  And I know that I have a lot more upside than that handicap shows, so I am a chance to play well.

On Saturday I played and had some complete brain fart moments which unfortunately led to me not scoring particularly well, but I was reassured by the fact that I putted well and only had two wipes for the day (both of which would have had a tap in for the next shot), so I am feeling like my game is in pretty good shape for playing stroke consistently and trying to avoid the blow-outs.

I had a last practice session yesterday working on my short game only and happy with how that is going.

The overall aim for the champs is to achieve a gross score of better than 295 (299 last year when I was playing to a better handicap - so it might be tough).  I actually think that my game is in a lot better shape than it was last year but time will tell.

Mostly I want to avoid the blow outs, and work on my recoveries when something does go wrong.  Mainly I am going to approach it like match play - all I can do is play to the centre of greens and chase net pars - if I do better than that, then that is a bonus.  I want to avoid the mindset of feeling like I have to "make up for" bad holes.

• Weetbix and ink like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#38 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

Okay, so the first round didn't go as planned.

I wasn't particularly hitting the ball well, so there was a lot of scrambling going on.  On one level this was fine as my putting was generally holding up.  If anything the tale of the day was hitting through a whole heap of greens when I was in a good position to make a score.  And my luck of the bounce and every other kind was just atrocious yesterday: if it could bounce the wrong way into a hopeless position then it did.  So all things considered I would have been fairly happy with my front 9 - mostly reasonably solid with a good number of nett pars and only one "wipe".   The problem was that the wipe ended up being a 10 on a par 4.  It started with a skied drive into a hazard (it actually bounced sideways down a drain pipe), resulting in a penalty and a drop into a pretty nasty downhill lie in the rough (going back further just would have been worse).  So the recovery shot was poor and didn't get me a shot at the green. I hit a lovely hybrid approach which drifted into the bunker, leaving me a tricky shot on to the green running away from me.  And it kept going like that until I had totted up a 10.

On the second nine I was pleased enough that I didn't have any real blow out holes, but I just scored a lot of sixes.  And on one level again, that isn't an awful score, but if you keep stringing 6s together you end up on the wrong side of 100 gross for the round.  I finally got it together on the 16th and 17th to come away with a couple of pars, but it was too little too late.

The most annoying stat was that I played the par 3s at an average of about 5.5 and I played the par 5s at an average of about 5.5.  I can't think the last time I scored a 5 on a par 3, and yesterday I scored a bunch of them (plus a 6!).  I had 2 or 3 penalty drops and I can't think the last time I had one of them.  I was in the sand so much I could have sunbathed, so I am pretty bloody thankful I have been working on my bunker shots (which were solid, if unspectacular).

So a disappointing beginning to the championships, given that it didn't feel like one of those days when I was playing terribly and I felt like I was thereabouts most of the day even though some of my game wasn't entirely switched on.

It seems I am well primed for mid-table (or lower) mediocrity at the OOM.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#39 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11086 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Okay, so the first round didn't go as planned.

I wasn't particularly hitting the ball well, so there was a lot of scrambling going on. On one level this was fine as my putting was generally holding up. If anything the tale of the day was hitting through a whole heap of greens when I was in a good position to make a score. And my luck of the bounce and every other kind was just atrocious yesterday: if it could bounce the wrong way into a hopeless position then it did. So all things considered I would have been fairly happy with my front 9 - mostly reasonably solid with a good number of nett pars and only one "wipe". The problem was that the wipe ended up being a 10 on a par 4. It started with a skied drive into a hazard (it actually bounced sideways down a drain pipe), resulting in a penalty and a drop into a pretty nasty downhill lie in the rough (going back further just would have been worse). So the recovery shot was poor and didn't get me a shot at the green. I hit a lovely hybrid approach which drifted into the bunker, leaving me a tricky shot on to the green running away from me. And it kept going like that until I had totted up a 10.

On the second nine I was pleased enough that I didn't have any real blow out holes, but I just scored a lot of sixes. And on one level again, that isn't an awful score, but if you keep stringing 6s together you end up on the wrong side of 100 gross for the round. I finally got it together on the 16th and 17th to come away with a couple of pars, but it was too little too late.

The most annoying stat was that I played the par 3s at an average of about 5.5 and I played the par 5s at an average of about 5.5. I can't think the last time I scored a 5 on a par 3, and yesterday I scored a bunch of them (plus a 6!). I had 2 or 3 penalty drops and I can't think the last time I had one of them. I was in the sand so much I could have sunbathed, so I am pretty bloody thankful I have been working on my bunker shots (which were solid, if unspectacular).

So a disappointing beginning to the championships, given that it didn't feel like one of those days when I was playing terribly and I felt like I was thereabouts most of the day even though some of my game wasn't entirely switched on.

It seems I am well primed for mid-table (or lower) mediocrity at the OOM.

Next round you will kill it Deege. :-)
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Coached by the Supercoach as of Dec 2014.

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#40 Tonk

Tonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:10 AM

You've just got your bad round out of the way Deege. Now the OOM and the next two rounds of the club champs will be left for you to fire.

How is Rosebud looking these days? You mentioned they were planning some serious works for the course?

#41 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23744 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Dan

i really like the way you play to your strengths and your relationship with your coach makes that a solid connection.

KISS is the best way,

also you practice the correct things not the wrong things. Same with Ray how you two have things in common and can relate to each other and reinforce the learning process.

so i hold you in high esteem with your work ethic and patience

you have got to A grade well done.

keep up the great work mate and see you sun.

P.s i have nearly caught you

i now have 6 pairs of golf shoes

Half the Trentham dream team

#42 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39837 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

You want her to Kiss her coach?

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#43 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39837 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

And make a solid connection?

Handicap

#44 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39837 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

I dunno Deege. Is that making you uncomfortable? Maybe you should get some legal advice! :blink:

Handicap

#45 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

You've just got your bad round out of the way Deege. Now the OOM and the next two rounds of the club champs will be left for you to fire.

How is Rosebud looking these days? You mentioned they were planning some serious works for the course?

They are re-seeding fairways on both courses - ie ripping up the whole fairway and completely replanting it.  The idea is to hopefully get rid of the poa anna and replace the turf with a turf which will cope better during the winter.  They are dong one course now and plan to do the other next year.

At the moment the course with works on it predictably looks like a train wreck.  The other course is starting to come good and is in great condition.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users