Photo

Deege And The Little White Ball

• Please log in to reply
728 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Took these thoughts into my chipping today.  Much crisper contact and more consistent results.  Had been using the arms and wrists far too much.  Thanks Gaz

No worries, glad it worked for you Mouldy.

Of course you will slip back to using your hands and arms at times (as we all do) ... but you'll recognise the feel of being hands and arms instantly. :)

• *Mouldy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) .....  Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1  (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS

2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team

2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)

2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)

2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#17 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Well I have spent some time working on my new technique and seeing some advances.  The bunker work is pretty unpredictable but I am sticking with it and trying to ride out the period where it is a bit up and down - there doesn't seem to be much sense in trying to persist with my "old" technique which is unreliable in results anyway.  So on the weekend I had a few flyers out of the bunkers which was a bit embarrassing.

Likewise the pitching is still a work in progress, though I have been doing some good work in practice.  It is hard to adjust my thinking to using this sort of shot when I have effectively been using work arounds for the last three years.

The really interesting side effect is that all this work on a more intentional pivot resulted (at least on the weekend) in a really good effect on my driving.  In particular, I managed to control the face at impact a lot better so I wasn't dealing with a slice/draw and I was really pounding the ball out there.  On a couple of holes I managed to hit the best drives I have ever managed on those holes, which put a couple of greens in range for me which was great.

This weekend I was playing handicap 4BBB matchplay.  It was always going to be difficult because my partner effectively pulled out for medical reasons after we had entered.  The team I was playing featured the current club champion and another lady who I was giving 3-4 shots away to.  I was pretty pleased with how I hit the ball but they had classic teamwork going where if one of them made a mistake, the other one rescued the position. 

So I ended up going down 7&6 which was a bit disappointing, but I really didn't feel like I played myself out of it.  And there were a couple of times where I needed to pull out a good shot and managed to do so, which I found pleasing.

And it was a very enjoyable match.  I hadn't played with our club champion before so it was a good chance to compare my game to hers and see where she was making up her shots.  She plays off 7 and wasn't streets ahead of me in any of her shot-making, chipping, putting etc.  So from observation I can see that I have all of the tools at my disposal that I need to do well, it's just a matter of eliminating the errors and the sloppiness that comes along the way.

• Weetbix likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#18 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

On other interesting matters, entries have opened for the club championships.  The grades are allocated on the basis of GA handicaps and as of this weekend, I would be in B grade by the smallest of margins.  If I were to drop 0.1 off my handicap in the next 4 weeks, then I would move into A grade.  As it is, I have four ordinary rounds to play before the clubbies and four flags to drop off.  Therefore my only chance to get back to A grade is to play four pretty good rounds in a row (or possibly 3 absolute crackers).

It will be a good test for me - I think if I manage to get back there, it will be proof that is a fair assessment of my standard at the moment.  While it is tempting to coast and compete at the pointy end of B grade, I am going to have a proper crack these next four weeks and use them to practice the sort of course management and playing sensibly that I want to carry through in the championships anyway.

• *Mouldy, Weetbix, RobNewy and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#19 Longhitter_1984

Longhitter_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10675 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

On other interesting matters, entries have opened for the club championships. The grades are allocated on the basis of GA handicaps and as of this weekend, I would be in B grade by the smallest of margins. If I were to drop 0.1 off my handicap in the next 4 weeks, then I would move into A grade. As it is, I have four ordinary rounds to play before the clubbies and four flags to drop off. Therefore my only chance to get back to A grade is to play four pretty good rounds in a row (or possibly 3 absolute crackers).

It will be a good test for me - I think if I manage to get back there, it will be proof that is a fair assessment of my standard at the moment. While it is tempting to coast and compete at the pointy end of B grade, I am going to have a proper crack these next four weeks and use them to practice the sort of course management and playing sensibly that I want to carry through in the championships anyway.

Good luck with it deege. Good to see your enjoying your golf. :-)
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Coached by the Supercoach as of Dec 2014.

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#20 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

So, have been conducting a bit of a review of the extra stats that my coach has been having me keep lately (in addition to the Golf Shot stats I have been keeping).  So in addition to my standard stats, I record the following things

• whether I finished the hole with less than nett par;
  • if so, what was the error that led to me missing nett par;
  • whether I hit the green with my approach shot (if applicable the first time I am in reasonable range to hit the green);
  • if not, whether I missed the green long, short, left, right etc;
  • what was the distance of my first putt.

As I say, after a review, I have picked up a few things which might be interesting for how I approach the game.

1. The number of errors per round which lead to me missing nett par is pretty consistent - between my worst and best performances, there is only a difference of 4 bad holes.
  2. On average I miss nett par once per round where I cannot attribute it to any particular error - so I get one poor hole per round without doing anything particularly wrong.
  3. On average, the categories most likely to lead to a missed score are missed putts and errors from the fairway (I use this category for complete miss-hits or brain fades from the fairway).
  4. In any round, on more than half the holes, I am getting my approach shots (and chips, pitches etc) within 20 feet of the hole - that's more than I expected.
  5. I hardly ever miss my approaches left, but average 5 holes per round where I leave them short.

Some of these results are quite a bit different to what I imagined they would be.  I am for example much more conscious of losing my ball long than I am of coming up short (and in fact, it really bothers me to watch other players be timid in their approaches).  So I am going to have to work on clubbing up when in doubt.

And despite all of the work I have been doing, putting shows up disproportionately as the cause of some of my errors - largely because a poor putt is so much harder to recover from in scoring terms.

• Weetbix and RobNewy like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#21 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37566 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

Great analysis Deege. I think its good to actually know whats happening that assume.
HandicapBest result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th WoodlandsGoal: A round at par or better!Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club ChampionBrisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the YearWinner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope IslandWinner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at WoodlandsSouth East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer<p>http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#22 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Well phase one of the plan went better than I could have hoped.  Our medal on the weekend was played as Par.  Played pretty well concentrating on the basics.   Was trying to practice for playing in the medal so was concentrating on aiming for the middle of the green and taking an extra club than I thought I needed on approach, after the analysis above.

Was very pleased with the outcome as I managed to swing home with +2, which comes out as my second best "played to" ever.  Strangely enough I didn't really feel like I was having one of those days where nothing could ever go wrong, it just seemed like the shots that I was trying to hit more or less came off the way that I wanted to most of the time.  I still feel like I left 3 or 4 shots out there, and I had a few ugly holes on the way in on holes that I normally score quite well on.

I said afterwards that it felt like I was playing to the handicap that I should have rather than the one that I actually have.  But for now I am thrilled to win a medal (have been wanting one of those for a while), happy to have ticked off one of my good rounds to try and get back inside A grade for the championships.  In fact, I just did a quick spreadsheet calculation and unless I am counting something wrong, this little round puts me back inside the number even if my next two rounds lead to flags dropping off.  Woot.

But my aim is still to have a couple of good rounds and try and consolidate on some of this form I managed to have unleashed.  I am also still working on pitching and bunkers - my pitching was much improved this week, though I need to work on some distance control.  But it was a good little shot to get myself on the green within good two putt range, which was basically all I was trying to do consistently.

• *Mouldy, Weetbix, RobNewy and 5 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#23 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Well done keep up the good work
  • Longhitter_1984 likes this

#24 Longhitter_1984

Longhitter_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10675 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Well done deege. :-)

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2015 Race to 18 Winner

#25 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37566 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Medalist! Great stuff Deege!
HandicapBest result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th WoodlandsGoal: A round at par or better!Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club ChampionBrisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the YearWinner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope IslandWinner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at WoodlandsSouth East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer<p>http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#26 Rupert The Bear

Rupert The Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Degee. how is the course at the moment, haven't been out there for a couple of weeks. It was a little wet then. Works on the south course progressing?

#27 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Degee. how is the course at the moment, haven't been out there for a couple of weeks. It was a little wet then. Works on the south course progressing?

The course is actually bouncing back beautifully  with some of the nice weather we have had lately.  It got pretty wet towards the end of winter, and the moment it starts looking good again, they start ripping up the fairways.  I didn't play this weekend cause I had the flu, but a week ago the works were well underway.  They say that they are on target but we will see if that happens.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#28 Longhitter_1984

Longhitter_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10675 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

The course is actually bouncing back beautifully with some of the nice weather we have had lately. It got pretty wet towards the end of winter, and the moment it starts looking good again, they start ripping up the fairways. I didn't play this weekend cause I had the flu, but a week ago the works were well underway. They say that they are on target but we will see if that happens.

What works are underway at rosebud Deege?

2015 Race to 18 Winner

#29 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

What works are underway at rosebud Deege?

They are doing major works on the fairways of our South course to improve the turf coverage and condition basically.  They are ripping up and re-planting the most affected fairways and doing partial re-works on the other.  So we have one course closed for 6ish weeks possibly with some play restrictions (eg teeing up) after that.  They are going to do the other course at about the same time next year.

• Longhitter_1984 likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#30 Longhitter_1984

Longhitter_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10675 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

[quote name="Deege" post="1261893" timestamp="1410748602"]

They are doing major works on the fairways of our South course to improve the turf coverage and condition basically. They are ripping up and re-planting the most affected fairways and doing partial re-works on the other. So we have one course closed for 6ish weeks possibly with some play restrictions (eg teeing up) after that. They are going to do the other course at about the same time next year.[/quote

Sounds good. Cant wait to see the results. :-)

2015 Race to 18 Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users