• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

I am sure that we have all had occasions when memories have long since dissipated of who we played with, the final score, even the game, but one shot will remain with us for eternity. Never to be forgotten. Well this is where you can record them.

So yesterday, playing the 10th at Eastern Sward. Par 3 - 135 metres to the flag. My Tee shot lands 20 metres to the left of the green with two cavernous bunkers between me and the flag, with very little green to work with. Using sand wedge, gripped half way down the grip, off the back foot and ball flies almost vertically upwards - on it's way down hits the flag stick and drops straight down into the hole for a birdie.  Magic.

• Ji Bao He, Weetbix, Francie and 5 others like this

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#2 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Well done! I have too many to decide which one to mention lol
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#3 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2890 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Lend me one Roachy. I can't think of any :(

#4 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

Lend me one Roachy. I can't think of any :(

playing in a Pro -am at royal Queensland golf club with the defending champion. We were on the par 4 16th, and I had missed the green rear left just into the rough. Short sided. The pin was cut back tier . In the meantime, ' champ' had smoked his drive then flummbed his chip shot.

I took lob wedge chucked it up and stopped it on a 5 cent piece tap in putt. Thank you very much[attachment=3120:image.jpg]
  • Weetbix likes this

#5 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

HOLE 16

The drive on this hole should be to the right centre of the fairway to ensure that the large fig tree on the left at the dog-leg does not come into play for the second shot.

This green demands a very precise approach shot. It is severely contoured and is basically two greens in one. This is only the second green with no greenside bunkers, but the run-offs and contours of the green will examine all a golfer’s skill and imagination.

Edited by Roachy 101, 28 June 2014 - 07:24 PM.

• Tolmij likes this

#6 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27140 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I am sure that we have all had occasions when memories have long since dissipated of who we played with, the final score, even the game, but one shot will remain with us for eternity. Never to be forgotten. Well this is where you can record them.
So yesterday, playing the 10th at Eastern Sward. Par 3 - 135 metres to the flag. My Tee shot lands 20 metres to the left of the green with two cavernous bunkers between me and the flag, with very little green to work with. Using sand wedge, gripped half way down the grip, off the back foot and ball flies almost vertically upwards - on it's way down hits the flag stick and drops straight down into the hole for a birdie.  Magic.

Did the same on the par 3 8th at CBoolture last year.

Sliced my tee shot landed about 20m in front of the green side bunker and the flag was tight on the bunker side of the green. Chipped over with my chipping wedge, landed about 3inches in front of the flag and straight into the cup.

Never saw the ball drop myself because the green is elevated at that point, my son did though and still talks about my fluke shot.
  • Ji Bao He, iRON MiCK and RJP9.4 like this
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#7 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2890 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

playing in a Pro -am at royal Queensland golf club with the defending champion. We were on the par 4 16th, and I had missed the green rear left just into the rough. Short sided. The pin was cut back tier . In the meantime, ' champ' had smoked his drive then flummbed his chip shot.

I took lob wedge chucked it up and stopped it on a 5 cent piece tap in putt. Thank you very muchattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is that one for me Roachy??

I like it and I'll take it :)

Better than the only one of mine I can think of -

Par 4 at Redland Bay 'back in the day'.

About 150m out hit a low punched 3iron that landed just short of the green, ran on at a million miles an hour, hit the flag and dropped in. My first (and so far only) eagle :)

Not a touch of jamminess about it at all.

• Tolmij likes this

#8 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Is that one for me Roachy??
I like it and I'll take it :)

Better than the only one of mine I can think of -

Par 4 at Redland Bay 'back in the day'.
About 150m out hit a low punched 3iron that landed just short of the green, ran on at a million miles an hour, hit the flag and dropped in. My first (and so far only) eagle :)

Not a touch of jamminess about it at all.

Nice one baz :)

#9 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16373 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Must have been 1966 or 67 on the now defunct Frankston Municipal golf course age 15 or 16.  Very long par 4 6th where I hit a decent drive and then for the only time in my life I hit a perfect 3 iron onto the green.  First and only time I ever made it in two.  I can still remember the trajectory ballooning over the green and gently dropping.

The lesser one was the same course but on the short par 3 4th.  Hit a slight draw into the wind which then drifted right and disappeared.  After a search over the back my playing partner checked the hole.  Yes, it was a slam dunk ace.

The 3 iron is still in my mind the best shot I have ever hit despite another ace and a couple of holed wedge shots for eagle.

• Weetbix, MaxB, Jolls and 1 other like this
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#10 Rhodie

Rhodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

I was in China on business, about 10 years ago, and while in Beijing, I was taken to play at Beijing Country Club. It was the middle of water, so was cold, but I was keen to play any courses any where in the world. 

One hole I smacked my drive into a pond/small lake on the right side of the dog leg. As we get near, I want to take a drop, (you have to play with a caddy, they all women, and don't speak a word of english), but the caddy kept calling me towards the water. I get there and realize that it is iced over, solid ice. And there on the ice is my ball. With hand signals, the caddy engouraged me on the ice, and I went and played my ball, on the ice. I will never forget that shot. 

• The good Egg, *Mouldy, Ji Bao He and 4 others like this

#11 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9797 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

14th at Shellharbour; shortish Par5.

3 iron off the tee to lay up short of the dam but rolled it over a bit left and ended up in the left rough; ball was sitting up nicely ...

... the group in front were looking for a ball in the right hand trees so one of them popped out of the bushes and signaled for us to play ...

..breeze was behind and I nutted a 5w that landed on the front of the green and rolled up to about 6 inches :P

..... the shot is a nice memory but the look on the face of the bloke that called us through was priceless  :lol:

Edited by 2Putts, 28 June 2014 - 09:22 PM.

• golden warrior, Tolmij, Ji Bao He and 2 others like this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

#12 shhhhank

shhhhank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Have managed to fluke a couple of memorable ones over the years but one that sticks in my mind is the first time I ever broke par. Was coming down the 18th at Virginia at even par after having pumped one down the middle, made the most nervous, girliest swipe at the ball ever and fatted it into the front trap (used to be one there years ago). Thinking I'd blown my chance I didn't even consider the prospect of holing it but somehow it managed to find the bottom of the cup. Mind you I probably haven't holed one out of the sand since <_<

• Ji Bao He and bazinoz like this

#13 shhhhank

shhhhank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

14th at Shellharbour; shortish Par5.

3 iron off the tee to lay up short of the dam but rolled it over a bit left and ended up in the left rough; ball was sitting up nicely ...

... the group in front were looking for a ball in the right hand trees so one of them popped out of the bushes and signaled for us to play ...

..breeze was behind and I nutted a 5w that landed on the front of the green and rolled up to about 6 inches :P

..... the shot is a nice memory but look on the face of the bloke that called us through was priceless  :lol:

The walk after stiffing one when called through = awesome.

• Ji Bao He and 2Putts like this

#14 golden warrior

golden warrior

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7212 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Year 2000, copperhead champs at Kooralbyn. Last hole par 5 needing a bird to tie the leader, smoked drive to about 210m out......pulled a 2 iron and laced it to about 20 foot and laid it dead, all while prob 50 people watching.

Signed the card and skulled 2 schooners of Gold, waltzed onto the 1st playoff hole and nailed a drive with wedge left, nice shot to 15 foot and drained it.

Still smile thinking about that 2 iron

Edited by Codboy, 28 June 2014 - 09:44 PM.

• The good Egg, Tolmij, Ji Bao He and 4 others like this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#15 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22690 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Playing par on the 9th at Emerald Vic - a par 5 on which I get one shot. I put my 5th shot through the green into a bunker.

For my last shot I 'had a go' and slam dunked it into the hole.
  • Tolmij, Ji Bao He, WasabiPea_Shooter and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users