10 replies to this topic

#1 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Sureshot GPS has released a Doppler radar based launch monitor about the size and shape of an iPhone for on $349.

https://www.sureshot...-monitor.php?pr

I'll definitely be getting one if it is any good.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22208 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

That's identical (except for the brand) to the Swing Caddie SC100 I've just ordered from the US.

#3 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

I guess it all depends on what you use it for.

No ball spin and launch angle means it's pretty well useless for club fitting purposes but if you just need it to measure distance if your shots it looks pretty good.

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22208 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

TB, I don't hit the ball as far as I'd like, so I'm looking at improving ball speed. It also shows smash factor.

This will help me to find what's helping and what's not.

#5 jwarlond

jwarlond

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Used mine for first time today at range.  Distance and club speed feel pretty accurate and so does smash factor (ie. if you feel you middle one it DOES show with high smash factor).  Gives you really quick feedback on tricks you might try to increase club speed.  At the end of the day you get a pretty good idea of what your average distance is with each club.  (I reckon most golfers, me included, have a better idea of their BEST distance with each club and work from that). Does what it says it does. Even tried the random mode which was good fun and more "game like" forcing you to hit a different distance on every shot.  

Edited by jwarlond, 07 June 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#6 antz30

antz30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationQueenslander

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

I could not find anything on youtube about it.

But the Swing Caddy is basically the same thing just different name it has it`s advantages.

Would love to see something with spin rates and angle at an decent price that may happen in the future but this is a step in the right decision   

Driver: Wilsion D100 9 deg Matrix Ozik 45g stiff shaft

Hybrids: 15.5d H1 20.5d H3 Cleveland Classic, Matrix Ozik Xcon stiff shafts

Irons: Mizuno 3-PW MP 4`s blades with NS-Pro 1150gh tour stiff shafts

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl 46,50,54,58 

Putter: Scotty Cameron square back no:2

Ball: Sirxon Z-Star XV yellow

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite stand bag

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22208 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

I have a device called a SwingByte which clamps onto the club just below the grip.  the GSA is very similar.

That supposedly detects swing speed, club face angle, loft, etc.   But I don't believe it.

e.g. Using a driver, it might say that the shaft angle was -19°.  Add that to the 10.5° of driver loft and it would suggest that I'm hitting the ball into the ground, but ball flight is normal.  If I can't trust that, how can I have faith in the other stated measurements?

The other issue with the SwingByte is that it connects via Bluetooth to phone or tablet.  The 10" tablet is much better than using my phone, but it means that, in all practicality, I'd make maybe 10 swings then go to my device and scroll through the readings, select one for further details, then select another, etc.  All a bit tedious.

Generally, I'm hitting the driver and other clubs fairly straight, with the odd fcuk-up that appears without warning sometimes.  So, having a device I can just look at immediately after each swing and see the vital detail will hopefully be more effective.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22208 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Mine arrived today.

The 'manual' was as skimpy as you'd expect from China, but at least it's in English.  It is from USA.

I set up my practice net and the device and had a few hits.  Works just fine.  You set it up about 1m behind the ball, choose which mode & club and hit away.  The display is readily readable from where I was standing so I have instant (a few seconds) feedback on what's working and what's not.

Now all I have to do is learn how to increase club head speed.

#9 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

I see Drummond have these on sale for $125 ... Thinking about getting one.

You guys who have had them for a while, what's the verdict? Gimmick. Good. Broken.

Worth getting one?

#10 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:27 AM

Damn it. 

Should've bought one yesterday while Drummond had stuffed up their pricing with the 'winter sale'!

It's back up to $315.

:angry: 

#11 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Damn it.

Should've bought one yesterday while Drummond had stuffed up their pricing with the 'winter sale'!

It's back up to $315.

:angry:

$149 at GCO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users