17 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:22 AM

I fondly remember in my youth playing the odd country track with sandscrape greens.

I'm calling for nominations for the "best sandscrapes course in the country".

Which is it, and why?

Jack

#2 DL

DL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:18 PM

I've played only one, never again.
Putting over dirt just doesn't enthuse me I'm afraid.

#3 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:21 PM

The ones in Kalgoorlie are interesting. Kalgoorlie has about 20 bunkers and Hannans has (some) irrigated fairways!!

#4 OnaBreak

OnaBreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 12:59 AM

Inverleigh GC.. visited by representative of R&A and the guy was nothing but praise

#5 iceblock

iceblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:00 AM

I'm not sure if Castlemaine Golf Course strictly qualifies as the best course with sandscrape greens. It is my favourite course, not the best course I have played, but for some reason the course I always enjoyed playing the most. That was before this drought. Unfortunately they ran out of water and had no choice but to let their greens die.

I haven't played there since the greens have died but driven past several times, hoping that they had had a freak storm or something to fill up the dams. Initially they just placed the pins in each fairway just in front of each green. Last time, however they had moved the pins back onto the greens to play as sandscrapes.

Technically now a sandscrape course! And my nomination as the best sandscrape course.

P.S I hope they are able to grow new greens. Does anyone on these forums know what they are planning to do there?

#6 3putt

3putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:12 PM

Lancilen in West Aust sensational views...

#7 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:58 AM

Avenel is a rare sand scrape course with a full length layout to much (at least when over 6000 metres used to count as full length). Definitely worth a look, and playing sand scrapes certainly forces another dimension onto your short game if you want to have any hope of posting a score. It should be done on a regular basis. The Victorian Sand Greens Championships are being held at Rochester in a month or two, which I've heard is a decent course, but I've never been there. Many of the better sand green courses have converted to greens over recent years though.

Iceblock
I found Castlemaine to be dead flat and dull, on that horrible goldfields terrain, but it's a terrible thing to lose the greens. Do you know how Mt Alexander in the town are faring?

#8 iceblock

iceblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:11 PM

Jim,

Yeah, I know I'm probably the only bloke in the world who enjoyed playing at Castlemaine. I've just always had a soft spot for it because it's pretty much where I learned to play. Since they lost their greens, I now play at a course not too far away called Belvoir Park when I'm in the area and haven't had a look at Mt Alexander for donks.

The only sandscrape course I have ever played at is in Maldon (the first golf course I ever set foot on), where you get everything you would expect for $5 a round.

#9 johnno31

johnno31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

The ones in Kalgoorlie are interesting. Kalgoorlie has about 20
bunkers and Hannans has (some) irrigated fairways!!

I think iris time you paid a return visit....you will be pleasantly surprised, in fact probably amazed. Lush green fairways and well grassed greens. Graham Marsh designed a complete new course.
  • Madambo likes this

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I think iris time you paid a return visit....you will be pleasantly surprised, in fact probably amazed. Lush green fairways and well grassed greens. Graham Marsh designed a complete new course.

Seeing as this topic has been brought back from the dead I'm going to nominate - Augusta.

I can tell everyone that without a word of a lie, I've played Augusta!

Plus those HUGE grass trees were pretty spectacular and what I remember of the course it was a pretty interesting layout.

#11 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

An update to an old topic....I have played a lot of scrapes over the years & my memory is a little rusty. I thought I could pick a top 5 that I have played, but this got harder, when I checked which ones were still scrapes, as many have since improved to greens since I played them. This is now my list, which happen to all now come from Vic, even though I played them in 4 states....
Bannockburn
Walwa
Inverleigh
Mt Difficult
Rokewood

Anyone else played these?
  • Madambo likes this

#12 Jolls

Jolls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBallarat

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

I have only played scrapes at Talbot, near Maryborough in Vic. Was good fun to try but probably wouldn't make it a regular thing, took one hole to realise you had to land short and run it up. I was 110m out with my approach on the first which is my 50degree distance. Hit a really nice shot only to see it pitch near the pin and bounce 10m high and head 30m over the back :rolleyes: I assumed they would be softer! 

• Madambo and Henschke like this

#13 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

My favourite sand scrape of all time was Mount Beauty, but apparently it now has grass greens.

#14 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39008 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Tathra Country Club had sand scrapes when I was a kid

Grass now though

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#15 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Tathra Country Club had sand scrapes when I was a kid

Grass now though

I didn't know you were from down that way. Born and bred, or just passing through? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users