275 replies to this topic

#31 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Went to the driving range last night and all my bad shots were slices , seemed to be coming thru with club face open ( fear of hooking) , should make tomorrow interesting seeing I set up for a draw , beware golfers on the adjoining fairways is all I can say

#32 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

no more fkn driving range practice ruined my game last year and have done the same in two weeks this year first six holes played like crap and then spent the next twelve trying to undo the damage i had done 

• AhBen likes this

#33 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

went back to driving range haven't been able to get a game in this week sprayed em all over the place but did find a couple little things so hopefully wont totally stink it up at heritage on sunday

#34 golden warrior

golden warrior

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7212 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

went back to driving range haven't been able to get a game in this week sprayed em all over the place but did find a couple little things so hopefully wont totally stink it up at heritage on sunday

no more fkn driving range practice ruined my game last year and have done the same in two weeks this year first six holes played like crap and then spent the next twelve trying to undo the damage i had done

Went to the driving range last night and all my bad shots were slices , seemed to be coming thru with club face open ( fear of hooking) , should make tomorrow interesting seeing I set up for a draw , beware golfers on the adjoining fairways is all I can say

Dude, stay away from the fn range :-)
  • AhBen and Weetbix like this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#35 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Dude, stay away from the fn range :-)

Yes I know ,vowed I wouldnt go back but fear of embarrassment at heritage made me do it haven't been able to get out on course during the week .

#36 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

heritage today was a frkn nightmare ,started hooking couldnt slow my swing down or get my hands in the right position at the top of my swing .by the time i did it didnt matter was too late not much care factor

I didnt loose a ball all day , had no; penalty shots , duft chips or fluffed bunker shots ,in fact my bunker play was better than usual .

Had one wipe only

Had one three pointer only

Had 24 points 9/15 

Was pretty much crap off the tee all day ,when i did get a good drive away i stuffed up the approach shot eg my 16 th hole par 4 hit great drive long and into a1 position 100 mtr straight pitch to the flag hit the pitch skinny into a bunker no green to play with hit very good bunker shot - 3 putted - one point

If you havent worked it out i had an ordinary day tee to green and then it went down hill from there

I had a hell of a time on the greens i dont remember four putting but i did end up further away than where i started from a couple of times one of which went from the fringe on the left to the fringe on the right the ball went in a big arc not straight across .

It was a good learning experience and what doesnt kill you makes you stronger but i am not going back there anytime soon and certainly not when the greens are likely to be faster.Certainly not till i learn to putt on fast hilly greens

• AhBen likes this

#37 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Played warragul yesterday with OB 31 pts first hit after heritage . Hit the ball ok but again three putts got me plus failing to get up and down from just off the green . Think I have found a key to my swing , to do with more wrists , when I get the wrists working right I drive the ball well . Have only been playing once a week and hit one bucket of balls at the range , no chipping or putting at all . Suppose I am reaping the rewards of not working on it . Will spend more time on putting this week see how I go .

#38 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

have been playing warragul last few weeks joined as a 7 day country member.Course has a slope rating of 125 ,is in good condition a bit wet under foot but not too bad .Greens are good run true not lightning fast but not slow either,can see them being slippery in the warmer months which is something to look forward to .Famous last words but i think i have my swing worked out actually sliced a couple drives on sat due to not getting my right hand /side through(fear of a snap hook).My biggest problem at moment is my short game am struggling with quicker greens /and getting on and down from 100 mts On saturday 3 times i wiped holes when in good/great position off the tee.

5th hole is short  par 4 with oob along the left ,hit 4 iron into perfect positon middle of fairway 125 mts out from flag easy 9 iron to pin - dragged it left oob 

6th hole short par 4 uphill hit probably my best drive of the day ,gps said 26 mts to centre of green ,pin was on second tier of the green so pitch into the slope of tier and kick up to pin ,nope pitched into slope ball bites and spins back off slope leaving me with a long putt up to the second tier - 3 putt 

9 th hole 292 mt par 4 downhill slope with a helpful wind , soft fairways ,gps 41 mts to pin just in first cut of rough ball sitting ok ,great line straight into flag,the hole doglegs left my drive was straight so by appearance it looked like i was almost pin high, but right of the green, again a tier to navigate ,again pitched into tier but right of flag not left ball bounces right off slope and ends up running off green ,3putts from there for another wipe 

Was a very frustrating day kept letting myself down around and on the greens , when i hit a bad drive i was getting myself out of trouble and back into shape only to let myself down with a poor pitch shot .

On one hand i have only played the course 4 times so am still getting use to the course but if i want to call myself a good golfer i should be able to see the trouble and come up with a shot to navigate it.My pitching into greens has been pretty good for the last six months but at the moment it is verging on terrible ,suspect it is something in my set up .

Bottom line is i am now back to a ga of 9.9 with about four flags in a row so suspect handicap will drift out a bit before i get a handle on my poor form around the greens 

#39 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Any golfer who is reasonably co-ordinated can make it to single figures. You don't even have to understand the golf swing but it helps. Good mobility, balance, flexibility and being able to see a straight line from side on are important assets to have in this game. I've played with some really messed up (fundamental wise) individuals who have no idea but lots of confidence in their ability, who hold low handicaps. I was in that category myself once upon a time.
  • AhBen likes this

#40 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Ig am reasonably co-ordinated ,mobile and balanced .Am fast approaching 57 so flexibility isnt as good as it was .Am not much for swing technicalities tend to be a grip it and rip it type ,however, i sorta know what works for me and what doesnt,apparently i get into good position at impact,but before and after isnt the best ,i dont practice much ,at moment its a bucket of balls at driving range mid week and a game on saturday .Occaisionally i have a putt on the carpet at home so i am probably expecting a lot to play to single figures have been down there before  . Have changed my work a little so should be able to work on my game couple afternoons a week ,i .need to have a plan tho

#41 golden warrior

golden warrior

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7212 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Any golfer who is reasonably co-ordinated can make it to single figures. You don't even have to understand the golf swing but it helps. Good mobility, balance, flexibility and being able to see a straight line from side on are important assets to have in this game. I've played with some really messed up (fundamental wise) individuals who have no idea but lots of confidence in their ability, who hold low handicaps. I was in that category myself once upon a time.

You called ?
  • AhBen likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#42 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

another frustrating day on sat ,was monthly medal ,cold wet and windy at warragul.Stepped up on the first tee hit exactly the drive i wanted ,pitching wedge in ,longish birdie putt ,2 putted ,good start thought here we go went par bogey par par (rolled a good putt)and par.The 6th is shortish par 4 hit a good drive little down wind nearly drove the green was even closer than last week ,this weeks chip i kept low and ran it up over the ridge to the upper level instead of pitching it into the ridge,ball finished about a foot short and right of hole ,easy birdie - nope did the unthinkable and missed ,hit it a tad slow and it took break i couldnt see and broke against the wind as well , was still a par and although unhappy and swore a little still only one over after six. The 7th is longish par 3 into the wind hit 3 hybrid plugged on the the green eight paces from the pin ,uphill right to left break left it 18 inches short and yep you guessed it missed it .More swear words,missed ntp by a bees **** ,thats why i knew it was 8 paces away and then 3 putt .Parred 8 and 9 had gettable birdies on both but was very tentative because of previous couple of holes . I reckon if i had sunk both short ones as i should have there is every chance i would have rolled one of the last two especially the one on nine as it was only couple metres pretty straight and slightly  uphill left it couple inches short .

So instead of being square or maybe one under i was 2 over which  was 3 or 4 under handicap so given the conditions was still very good result .

Second nine was a train wreck starting with a snap hook( i could blame a silly lady golfer who had finished the 18 th and walked into my line of fire just as i was about to swing ,i stopped and tried again but concentration was broken . I have to be better than letting that happen tho )  on ten and another 3 putt on 11 missed another 18 inch putt, 13 th i had to chip out sideways after drive ran up against a tree , basically got too pissed off with everything and couldnt pull it back ,had bogeys 16 ,17 and 18 for a 45 on back nine only one par i think and two double bogeys , had 17 putts on both nines . A real jekyl and hyde round of golf.

Only finished 3 shots off the pace (3 short putts off the pace )was really happy with my ball striking , not happy with how angry i got and allowing it to affect my ball striking ,i knew i was wasting a bloody good chance for a medal win ,am having a horror time with putter at moment .Have never been a great putter but am not usually as bad as i have been of late .

Had a lesson booked in for thurs to check my swing think that will be a putting lesson ,but am going to work on a tip iggy gave in another thread because i must be using my wrists too much .

Dsr was 73 so although i had a flag coming off i replaced it with another flag which removed the .5 i had picked up from last weeks ordinary round .So back to 9.4 on ga which is 10 at warragul.

Sorta feels funny am pissed off with my round but yet it was a flag round .

will have to work on the putting and try and keep the ball striking going at the same time 

• AhBen likes this

#43 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Seems you are correct iggy not that I didn't think so before . Went for a lesson with pro today , hadn't been there for over 6 months , got my butt kicked .Have gone back to doing the reverse pivot ( which is leaning forward as you take your backswing) .funny thing is that if I had sunk some short putts on the weekend I would have won the monthly medal easily . Which goes to the athletic ability getting me results and not a good technique .

#44 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

The reverse pivot means you have your head going forward in your backswing and then it has to shift back in your downswing to get into the right position at impact . This leads to all sorts of problems , pushing your hands/swing up making it too high , flipping your hands ,not turning your shoulders and hips through the ball cause your weight is going back not forward , loss of power / distance , spinal angle is all wrong , to name a few .
Is all very obvious when you watch a video of your swing .Have some work to do , fixing the reverse pivot will fix some of the others but certainly have some work to do .

#45 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

The reverse pivot means you have your head going forward in your backswing and then it has to shift back in your downswing to get into the right position at impact . This leads to all sorts of problems , pushing your hands/swing up making it too high , flipping your hands ,not turning your shoulders and hips through the ball cause your weight is going back not forward , loss of power / distance , spinal angle is all wrong , to name a few .
Is all very obvious when you watch a video of your swing .Have some work to do , fixing the reverse pivot will fix some of the others but certainly have some work to do .

It is a tough fault to fix as the fix requires a completely different movement pattern and view of the golf ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users