• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22672 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

You may have read this already Mouldy but it's an interesting article on stats:

http://www.golfdiges.../challengestats

Good luck with it ......

I usually just count my putts, noting ones and threes, along with the occasional chip-in and four.

If my putts were low, then I was missing greens.  If my putts were higher, then I was hitting the greens but unable to sink many long ones.  If my overall score was good, then I must have hit a number of GIR and drained some long ones.  If not, then it was all shít.

Edited by OldBogey, 13 March 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#17 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

You may have read this already Mouldy but it's an interesting article on stats:

http://www.golfdiges.../challengestats

Good luck with it ......

Interesting read but I think I have a different twist on it.  For a mid-handicapper one of my hypotheses is that the performance from 30m to the edge of the green is the biggest score determinant.  The more times I get within 4 feet the more 3 pointers I score.  I know from Golfshot my GIR is consistently 30% but my score can move by 8-10 shots so it may not be relevant at this stage of my journey.  The other 2 hypotheses are the obvious :- drive where the green is reachable, fairway or light rough doesn't make much difference and a good round is 33 putts or less.  Looking forward to proving or disproving my initial hypotheses.

• 2Putts likes this
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#18 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4135 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Interesting read but I think I have a different twist on it.  For a mid-handicapper one of my hypotheses is that the performance from 30m to the edge of the green is the biggest score determinant.  The more times I get within 4 feet the more 3 pointers I score.  I know from Golfshot my GIR is consistently 30% but my score can move by 8-10 shots so it may not be relevant at this stage of my journey.  The other 2 hypotheses are the obvious :- drive where the green is reachable, fairway or light rough doesn't make much difference and a good round is 33 putts or less.  Looking forward to proving or disproving my initial hypotheses.

I agree with this analysis.  My long game is pretty good, though even with my best shots I am out of range for FIR for about half the holes on my (or any) course.  As you get closer to the hole though, the requirements of precision are a lot more demanding.  So your target area for a short iron approach is much smaller than for a drive (if you consider there is quite a way where you can miss the fairway with a drive and still have a good go at your second shot).

I am an expert at wiping holes from 100m out in the fairway, and my game from that distance is what makes the difference between scoring well and wiping. 

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#19 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Had a warmup hit at the Frog with Goldy, Ink and Kooim.  Good course, great weather and great company made for a very enjoyable day out.  There will not be any complaints about the course next week, it is in great shape.

Only played 27 holes before today since an enforced 4 week layoff so 32 points was ok.  Knee was sore after 16 but should be fine by next week so no excuses.

10/14 Drives on the short stuff and the other 4 were right but still playable so was probably the steadiest part of my game today.  Cutting the ball expecially when I try to give it a whack.  Just need to have a look at my takeaway

I replaced the dud 2h with my old 3W hitting it 3 times for 1 good shot, 1 duff and one a bees **** away from the the old dead tree on the 6th.  It will be in the bag again next week by necessity.  Need to decide whether I am going for a new 3W or a new 2h.

The layout forced me into hitting 9 hybrids today and besides creaming one on the 3rd the other 8 were poor.  Off to the range this week to hit a couple of hundred hybrids to see if I can get it right.  If not I will be laying up with a 5 iron next week instead.  Playing Sandy I hardly pull them out of the bag so need the practice.

Irons didn't find a single green but weren't awful just inconsistent missing equally left and right.  The length was good just a lazy draw or a fade.  Sure my hit on Wednesday will sort the rustiness out.

Hit 5 Sand Wedges from the fairway and all made it onto the putting surface so that is under control.

I use the Lob out of the sand and found 6 bunkers today so it was busy.  One Hitler and Two Skinny, the rest were only fair.  Solution is to not get into so many.  Also the sand was very light and fluffy so I may revert to the SW for the extra bounce.

Chipped 6 times for mediocre results.  Plenty of times it was up a bank (a Frog feature) with no opportunity to use a wedge.  Generally used a 7i and need to work out a strategy for next week.  Might use a hybrid.

Only sank one putt all day, the rest of the time it was only fair and at times careless.  Need to work on my ball position as I was hitting down on the ball at times and doing a few bunny hops leaving them short.

The plan for the week is to get in the hybrid practice and a tune up on Wednesday.  I am sure the pressure of competition will get me the required focus on the short game.  Hoping for 36+ next week assuming the wind doesn't blow too much.

• Weetbix, Goldy, koiom K Frenzy and 1 other like this

National Tour

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#20 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10396 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Given the lack of golf you've had mate, today's effort was solid.
Also, as you said, there's a lot of shots you need to play at the Frog that you'd never hit at Sandy.
All the more reason to be upbeat about 32 points today.
With a bit of course knowledge under the belt, it bodes well for next week.
  • *Mouldy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Moonah OOM#4 A Grade Runner Up
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner

2017 Overall All Grade OOM Runner Up
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#21 Dr.inky

Dr.inky

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33574 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

yeah Rob, you started getting that hybrid going towards the end...so looking good for Sunday.

Always was in the hunt in any case....

#22 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Went to the range in lieu of playing in the rain.  Probably a smarter move even though I loathe practising.  Hit about 60 hybrids and when I got my hands a lot further forward they started to go straight and with more elevation.  Might go for another tune-up on Saturday.  I have decided to make an early decision on Sunday - If the hybrids are out of control on the first couple of shots I will ditch them and lay-up with a 5 or 6 iron. 

Also decided not to attempt GIR with 5 & 6 irons when it involves carrying bunkers.  Just not getting enough height at the moment and the flight is left to right and doesn't suit the Frog.  Lay-up and make sure of 2 points and if my short game is on song the occasional 3 points.

Target is no wipes and only a single 1 pointer per 9.  A solid 36 points will make me happy.

• Talart and Dr.inky like this

National Tour

#23 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3800 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Loathing practise is a big hurdle in getting over to a lower handicap. As much as I would liketo just amble out and have a hit on weekends at the minute I am busting my gut to get to a single digit \, Best last year was 11 now on 12.3, injury was the killer and this year am into getting fitter dropping weight and practise. 

It does help a lot mouldy but takes a little of the casual gloss away from playing wack-f@ck.

Hang in here and do the loathed practise a couple of times a week and the scores will improve. 

• *Mouldy and koiom K Frenzy like this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#24 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Another range session this morning and the hybrids were much better.  Hitting down and getting a better trajectory.  Driver was sensational so very confident with it on the wide landing areas at the Frog tomorrow.  No chance for short game practice as the area was full of kids, so tomorrow is going to be hit or miss.

Bought an Amp Cell 3-4 fairway yesterday but the results this morning were all over the place, may hit a couple of second shots on the par 5's tomorrow if I am having a bad day and the score doesn't matter.

Still going to layup tomorrow, when faced with longish bunker carries, as planned and see how I score.

• koiom K Frenzy and Dr.inky like this

National Tour

#25 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10396 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

personal par will go along way to being at the pointy end tomorrow Rob.
  • Goldy likes this

#26 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Game plan went out the window with very few faiways in regulation and when I did get there I was 20m short of last week.  Hybrids weren't too bad but 3 out of 4 fairway woods were shockers and I was just swinging too quick with the 5 iron, no tempo at all.  Short irons weren't too bad.

Normally bunkers aren't a problem but last week and this I was getting the ball very thin.  Chipping was abysmal and putting the usual crap.  Just need to spend the time practising.

30 pts was flattering considering I got 7 of them on 17 & 18.

National Tour

#27 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Back on the horse this morning.  Very stiff at 6:40am topping my first drive and played like it for an hour and only scored 7 points in the first 6 holes including 2 shanks.  Also managed 2 yesterday, pretty sure all were related to standing too close to the ball ie concentration errors.  Got it together from the 7th and had 22 points in the next 9 holes including 3 holes where I don't get a shot.  Started to run out of steam then and finished with 33.  I am too old/unfit for back-to-back rounds with early starts.

Made a little change to the putting stroke this morning and all was rosy on the greens.  Stupid bloody mind game that it is.

Hybrids are starting to become reliable which has been my focus for the last week and chipping better.  Found the lies around the greens at the Frog hard for chipping, I am used to fluffy ones whereas the Frog was fairly tight.  Driving was abysmal.

A fun 9 holes and a boozy lunch beckon on Wednesday and I think I will put the driver away and just use the hydrids off the tee.  More practise and more chance of being in play.  Also, get a bit more work with the mid-irons.

Sunday and/or Monday back to the range and work on the Driver and 3 wood before a money game at Kingston Links on Easter Tuesday.  My 4 shotless holes are all on the front so no chance of winning it but if I am close I can take out the back and the eighteen.

National Tour

#28 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10396 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Nice 9 hole run there Rob, especially after a shaky start.

#29 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4516 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Noticed the lovely little short hand sheet you had running at Le Froge' - somewhere between the 18 and the car I managed to lose mine. Damn it.

Your putting was not that bad either.  Don't sell yourself that short.  Your hybrid was cracking along nicely.

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

#30 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Played Sandy in perfect conditions this morning, 83 off the stick for 37 points.  Concentrated on maintaining my tempo saying 100 on the backswing and 200 on the downswing.  Worked an absolute treat. 

I love Melbourne's Autumn mornings on an empty golf course with my good mates.

Choked down on the driver and hit 9/12 fairways and only one drive was not in a position to make the second shot.  A bit less distance but being in play 11/12 is so much better.  Try it again on Wednesday and next Monday.  If all goes to plan I will get 2" choppped off and the appropriate re-weighting done.

5/6 hybrids went where I intended so the practice was well spent.  Playing them inside left heel and hands slightly ahead of the ball at address with consistent results.

1/2 3 woods went ok.  Need more practice and I think a change of shaft.  Kickpoint says mid but getting very little carry.  One more range session then off to TPG.

Hit 9 GIR including 6 in a row from 6-11.  Short irons were as good as possible with my swing.

Chipping was very poor except one holed.  Watched the vid posted on the chipping thread and it stuffed up my game.  Back to my tried and trusted method.

3 sand shots and 2 were thin.  Don't know what has happened.  2 months ago I was fancying my chances of holing them.  Practice required.

36 putts was woeful.  9 GIR and only one bird but 3 x 3 putts plus another later in the round.  Reading the greens fine but distance control was abysmal.  Also weak mentally as I often 3 putt twice in a row.  Never read Bob Rotella but I think I am overdue some positive thinking on the greens.

All in all very happy with probably my best ball striking day ever.  Short game just needs practice and more practice.  As much as I hate it, I have to admit the 400 balls I hit with woods and hybrids in the last 2 weeks has made a difference.

• GhettoGolfer, koiom K Frenzy and Dr.inky like this

National Tour

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Itchy4Scratch