8 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 26 March 2001 - 07:23 AM

Considering buying either the Ping i/3 o-size or the Callaway Steelhead, just want to know your opinions on these clubs.

Whats a good value for money driver?

#2 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 27 March 2001 - 05:14 AM

I am an average golfer but i bought the Callaway and so far I think that this is one of the better drivers out there. I've had the Ping TISI and the Hawkeye, and I would say that the Steelhead Plus is just as good (much better than the Hawkeye). I can hit the ball at least 250 metres and have no problems making the ball do what I want (most of the time!?)

GO THE CALLAWAY!!!.

#3 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 27 March 2001 - 09:23 PM

I have used both Ping i3 models. The blade and the O size. Both clubs are easy to hit, but with one difference. Shots with the blades can be worked and shaped. O's are much more difficult to do this, you get more of just a straight shot with them. Both are good clubs, but using either of these would depend on your game.

On Callaways, I just ordered a set of X-14 pros. I have never hit a Callaway iron like these so easily (with other models I could hit straight but lost yardage due to too much height. Older models of Callaways were always known for being accurate but short). I can shape shots with these irons nicely and the rifle shafts make these irons very accurate. I hit the 5 iron between 187 & 192 in the air without roll or bounce. I am looking forward to taking a lot strokes off of my game.

#4 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 29 March 2001 - 06:34 AM

The ping i3 irons are a great set of clubs, I work in a pro shop and have tried just about every driver out there, in my opinion the 975D is the longest one when you put a good swing on it, but I can't go past the Ping iSi as the most consistent and forgiving driver. AS far as value for money goes I'd have to reccomend the Cobra Gravity Back.
Cheers
Andrew

#5 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 01:49 PM

I personally use the Callaway Steelhead Plus.When hit cleanly it makes a crack like a gun, like no other driver i have heard. Also when hit not hit so cleanly it is extrmely forgiving, as i can assure i know well!!.At around £200 sterling, there is no driver, in the same price range that compares.I am a Callaway fan, but i went through an exaustive process, trying many different drivers, and found the Callaway far superior.Happy golfing, and send some of your weather over before we forget how to play golf!!

#6 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 07:54 AM

dear james, i think that the CALLAWAY steelhead plus would be better for someone who is looking for a little more accuracy &control.
while the Pingi/3 would suit someone who was looking for more distance
with less control but greater sweetspot

#7 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 01:54 PM

hey James..i have a Callaway Steelhead Plus...it has been a great purchase..but i have seen both Ping and Callaway drivers on the pro cicuit... happy golfing...emily 8)

#8 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 03 May 2001 - 07:01 AM

You can purchse the new ping driver, smallere than the original driver, almost at half the price. It is just as long off the tee and easier to work the ball. Very long club.

#9 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 09:15 AM

James I'll answer your question accurately and honestly.
Try both yourself before doing anything. I did and prefer the Pings, first they are fitted and I needed 2 degrees upright with longer shafts which was not an options in the Callaways. Further, I find the heads more obvious with their aligment at the address than any other club. Swing feel and shaft flexion is all personal choice so I will not comment.
They are both very good clubs - use and choose.
Claims made by others' of their yardages achieved and great driving are all personal claims and irrelevant to anyone else as they could be off handicaps of 2 or 20 and indeed you could be off 20 or 2.
Concerning the Drivier, I have tried an enormous range over a long while as I cannot readily afford expensive errors of judgement and my advice is the same. To Hell with what others say, you have believe in what you use and whatever works for you is right. I ignored much of the publicity BS about the Callaways but did try them and several others - verdict - The Titleist 975D - with the Graffalloy shaft I seem have found a combination of most adequate distance and greatly improved consistency and accuracy without each drive waking up the neighbours from adjacent suburbs!

Hope this helps - but it remains your money, your choice so once committed stop reading the magazines and stay away from first tee boasting competitions about new technologies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users