#31 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

The old depression, a tough nut to crack. It's a shame she went out that way but RIP.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. It's terrible & unless you have gone through it you have no idea how bad it can be. The shrink sessions helped me a bit but it still lingers in the back of my mind & I just don't see how someone can fully recover from it. Even though I have a loving family, wife & 2 kids, it still got me.

I feel much better than I did 2 years ago & one thing that helped me the most was being able to play golf and claiming back some freedom in my life, thanks to an understanding wife. :wub:

You are lucky to have her support. ...

My ex was of the view.... depression so what, get the fark over it..... you'll be fine 2morro. ....
Strangely enough that just doesn't happen

VTTP 006

Miracle

#32 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

There is some people even in the health profession who are adamant that depression is a state of mind and you need to change your thinking to not be unwell. I doubt if these people have ever been depressed or suicidal but they won't admit it's a true medical condition.
If you have never been there then you can't judge or just say get over it.
The worst thing of depression is it's destructive on you and your family because when you are in the hole the last thing you want is anyone around you.
I was diagnosed with depression in 2001 and been there and back.
  • ------ likes this

#33 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12420 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

My ex was of the view.... depression so what, get the fark over it..... you'll be fine 2morro. ....

No it doesn't, and without the support of loved ones and those extended that are close to you who can add positive things to all that you see as negative, it is bluddy hard to work through it.  Feel for ya Peg.  Obvioulsy, you are in a little better spot now.  Or hopefully so.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#34 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11320 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Are there different levels of depression? ie Depression that is "normal" which humans have generally and can usually manage, then a level of depression where its starts getting to become a serious illness?  Is there a scale?

When does depression move from "normal" to a serious illness?

• Tochakka likes this

#35 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

No it doesn't, and without the support of loved ones and those extended that are close to you who can add positive things to all that you see as negative, it is bluddy hard to work through it. Feel for ya Peg. Obvioulsy, you are in a little better spot now. Or hopefully so.

Far better spot. .... Been a long and windy road to get here....
  • Commish and pom like this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#36 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27033 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

It was hard work with my wife, you don't want to leave them alone, you hear so many depressed ppl committing suicide and it Weights on your mind. Health professionals are no help, you feel abandoned. It's nomwonder it takes so long to diagnose and treat. The first person that told me to give my wife a shake never spoke to me again as my reply was very specific.

You have had it hard recently Peg I feel for you.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#37 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

That's terrible mate, its tougher without support.

My wife actually tells me to go play. I usually drop her off with the kids to her mothers so I don't feel guilty having fun while she is stuck at home. lol

For me once the kids came in the equation you have a limited lifestyle, you must work hard, you get stuck in a repetitive rut and any ounce of free time gets eaten up by them. I think this is what did it for me, although it should be like this, you should enjoy your life but it still creeps up on you.

Edited by Kannis, 24 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#38 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27033 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Are there different levels of depression? ie Depression that is "normal" which humans have generally and can usually manage, then a level of depression where its starts getting to become a serious illness?  Is there a scale?

Depression is hard from day one, some ppl say they have depression when they just feel off. Once you have experiances the results first hand you realise just how bad it is.

There is nothing normal about depression every persons trigger and journey is different and very personal, the only thing the same is they need help quickly.

Bet you feel depressed every day dealing with us numbnuts.

#39 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Are there different levels of depression? ie Depression that is "normal" which humans have generally and can usually manage, then a level of depression where its starts getting to become a serious illness? Is there a scale?

Mads. ..
Don't know all the technical terms. ..
However when you're down it sometimes takes something that to most people would be seen as nothing to send you spiraling further down. ....
You look and read the crap that was thrown Charlotte Dawson's way. .... There might be a few people having s good long look at what they posted online about her. ..
  • Tolmij likes this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#40 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11320 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Bet you feel depressed every day dealing with us numbnuts.

Not at all Tol  It just seems like the different emotions we have each day have a "normal" level then can go either way on scale to where they are a serious illness.

Everyone would have a time they generally feel "down" but most get up and move back into a good state of mind. Others though get stuck and cant get up.

Ive lost a few friends over the years but to drugs- it gets you to think that the drugs were covering up the real issue which they probably were.

PS: I dont get depressed being on here at all- some real good folk in here- even with the occasional outbursts and shenanigans.;)

• Tolmij likes this

#41 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12420 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Did someone mention SHENANIGANS!!!!!!  Now ya talkin.. :D  :P  :P

• Madambo, Schmuck and Tochakka like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#42 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yes mads there is different levels of depression, you hear of mild, moderate and severe and major depression, in the clinical world they say that the "normal" person who is sad for a couple days or so is not depressed because they move on. Depression can last as short as 6 months and be resolved with medication. Some people with depression never recover fully and only with medication and other therapies do they manage to stay well.
I guess on the scale of depression, when you try to take your own life then you are at the severe end of depression but not all depressed people want to take their life some just give up on their ADL ( activities of daily living) and don't shower or bathe and reduce their food intake. On the other end of the scale some just end up eating machines and stack on the weight because they eat because they are depressed and more they gain weight the more they eat.
  • Madambo and Benjamen Breeg like this

#43 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27033 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

The reliance on pills to treat depression is because they have proven a link to depression and an alteration in the brain chemistry, It would be good if we felt comfortable to be tested when the first signs started then possibly the home remedies ,ie, drugs may not be taken. I would guess that no one on here with depression had their brain chemistry checked.

I can understand ppl like your friends taking drugs if that was the reason because the general medical profession have no sympathy whatsoever when you claim to be depressed, their remedy is take a pill and go to bed.

#44 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

The reliance on pills to treat depression is because they have proven a link to depression and an alteration in the brain chemistry, It would be good if we felt comfortable to be tested when the first signs started then possibly the home remedies ,ie, drugs may not be taken. I would guess that no one on here with depression had their brain chemistry checked.
I can understand ppl like your friends taking drugs if that was the reason because the general medical profession have no sympathy whatsoever when you claim to be depressed, their remedy is take a pill and go to bed.

There is some evidence that high levels of illegal drug taking can lead to depression due to the change in levels of some of the chemicals within the brain.
Depression is not something that a lot of the medical profession understand because it can take more than one visit to diagnose someone and most people want a quick visit to the doctor and a pill to make it better and sometimes it takes awhile to make a correct diagnosis.
  • Tolmij likes this

#45 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Did someone mention SHENANIGANS!!!!!!  Now ya talkin.. :D  :P  :P

Bring on the "SHENANIGANS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic