Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

That's good to hear Jayp,

Despite my knocks on the course I have always thoroughly enjoyed my round out there, it's a cracker of a layout, the club house is an absolute beauty with a great range of beers.

Out of curiosity which 18 holes makes up the Nursery course?

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#17 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Nursery is 1-18

Ive been out both times in the last week with TB and agree 100%

Fairways were way to long, greens were very dimpled ad not many people fix there pitch marks.

Bunkers were great.

I believe they have the best practice facilities of most courses I have played. The short game area is awesome.

Love the clubhouse, the stuff are super friendly.

But in saying that, im not in a hurry to go back.
The course is bloody hard and doesn't really fit my eye.

I have had my best and now my worst rounds out there

#18 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Its a really nice layout in need of a lot of love but I can't see how its going to get because the club is struggling money wise.

Its not nice but if I was a cashed up Eastern I am not sure I would be racing to their rescue.

There is a serious over supply of golf compared to demand some clubs will fold in the next few years which might not turn out to be a bad thing if it gets supply and demand back into equilibrium.

#19 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Jay....we'll get a round in soon. TR

You'd get your head around it after a dozen rounds Rob. And you're spot on in regard to practice facilities.....my short game has defiinitely improved coz I've tried to take advantage of the facilities out there. Ironically I have blown out a couple of shots on handicap, but my scoring average suggests I'm now a better golfer. Importantly I'm having fun busting my gut in an effort to drag myself back to singles.

Hawkers, Eastern will certainly arrive all cashed up. Yering Meadows' trump card is the aesthetics and the 360 degree views. That and its solid design make it an asset to the region. Consequently the course will always survive. As for the Croydon GC, I can see it and Eastern GC working together with the potential to increase their membership numbers to levels never seen before. But yeah....that's a few years away yet.

#20 Vinhol

Vinhol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Mate I have been out there twice in the last week and the condition is terrible, I would be furious if I was paying 2.5k a year for what is being dished up at the moment, the biggest problem is the fairways, they are too long and look like they have weeds growing out, bunkers were pretty good, greens just okay but at 2.5k a year I would want faster and smoother than what they are at the moment.

I really enjoy the layout though, unfortunately I just don't think the have the cash in the bank to spend on course maintenance at the moment.

Mate I have been out there twice in the last week and the condition is terrible, I would be furious if I was paying 2.5k a year for what is being dished up at the moment, the biggest problem is the fairways, they are too long and look like they have weeds growing out, bunkers were pretty good, greens just okay but at 2.5k a year I would want faster and smoother than what they are at the moment.

I really enjoy the layout though, unfortunately I just don't think the have the cash in the bank to spend on course maintenance at the moment.

I played the Homestead last week and it was the first time in 2 years I had been out there and I though the condition was ok and it was a good test of golf.

Holes 19 to 27 is the best nine IMO 1 to 9 is a little boring

#21 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I see YM have taken the Scoupon approach to attracting new business... Never a good sign.

#22 jayleeau

jayleeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I've been there one two weeks ago and found that the conditions were average but I do like the layout

#23 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

I was told that YM expected to have $5mill in cash after finished full construction but end up $300K in deficit.  Lots of over budgeted costs. 

Will the same situation applies to Eastern ?  Better to buy up Heritage for $25 mill I say.

#24 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Even if they blow the budget Eastern will still come at waaayyyy in front.

The offer for Croydon's land was ****, unfortunately for them they sold up before property/land prices went ballistic.

Once again all hearsay but I'm hearing the day they open the doors they will still have $20 odd mill cash in the bank.

Make no mistake they will enter the region as financially the strongest club in the area.

#25 dorischamp

dorischamp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Yering is currently $1.5M in debt and is yet to break even at new site. Inability to attract new members and having the millstone of the walnut crop makes it very difficult.
All suppliers contracts have been renegotiated down as have staff wages. Not a good position to be in with 2 cashed up clubs with comparable if not superior facilities about to open.

#26 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4224 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Crikey what mismanagement that was then, wasn't there some ruse when the old lot was sold they would have like 20m in the booty to last to eternity

#27 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Honestly a lot of their problems come down to the course itself.

It really is a great layout but just way too hard for the ordinary golfer.

I'v met so many people that have left Yering over the years and when asked why the response is almost always, too hard/loosing too many balls etc.

#28 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Yering is currently $1.5M in debt and is yet to break even at new site. Inability to attract new members and having the millstone of the walnut crop makes it very difficult.
All suppliers contracts have been renegotiated down as have staff wages. Not a good position to be in with 2 cashed up clubs with comparable if not superior facilities about to open.

Can't comment in regard to Croydon GC's financial situation, but I am confident that management would have the club's long-term future at heart. Plenty of "Introductory Members" teeing it up on a Sunday and the Saturday Comp numbers hover around 250-300 starters on a consistent basis. There is potential to increase those numbers with 27 holes at your disposal, but hardly a tell-tale sign of trouble looming.

I could hold off on Full Membership and wait to see what Eastern come up with coursewise. They too have a good Introductory Membership special and I'm sure their Greg Norman course will be a treat. But I'm probably not prepared to wait the few years it will take for the course to settle and mature. Don't want to fall for the "grass is always greener" trap either and just can't see how Chirnside or Eastern's course will be superior given it will lie in the same environment as Yering Meadows. As for facilties....comparable perhaps, but Yering Meadows' facilities are top notch anyway.

#29 bubaboy

bubaboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yering Meadows up for sale?

• TBE likes this

#30 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members