411 replies to this topic

#1 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

With Eastern Golf Club's move to Yering on the horizon, Yering Meadows has popped up in conversation of late.....but I'm not sure it has ever really received the kudos I think it deserves. So I thought I'd chip in with the following......

Have now played 30 rounds as an Introductory Member(Mar-Dec 2013) at Croydon Golf Club's new course at Yering Meadows and feel qualified to offer a balanced review of this track given I have played all 27 holes in various conditions and have observed golfers of all abilities tackling the course.

From a natural surroundings point of view this course is special with 360 degree views at every turn. Not at all surprising the hot air baloon companies operate in the vicinity. Can be foggy at dawn, but only 1 of my 30 rounds (tee times 7.30-8.00am) was reduced to a 9 hole comp.

From a layout perspective the course is very challenging with water features well positioned to penalise any errors in execution. In my view a clear sign as to why the course rates so highly from an architectural point of view. Golfers who enjoy managing their way around the course will quickly or eventually identify "where to miss" and "no-go zones".

As far as conditioning goes, the Legend Couch fairways are kept in good knick year-round. Only minimal surface water and roped off areas even in the heart of Winter. From an iron-play point of view I like the fact they don't turn rock-hard in Summer.

As for the tee boxes, they are exactly what you’d expect from a championship course…..even and well-grassed.

The greens here roll true, but are not overly quick outside Pro-Am and Club Championship time. The greens have been shaped and contoured to make for challenging approaches on all holes. Smallish greens with run-off areas provide some defence for the short Par 4s whilst large 2-tiered greens make for an easier target to hit, but often leave the golfer with a tough uphill or downhill putt.

The Par 5s here are an excellent test and will appeal to all levels of ability. I have seen golfers succeed most by playing them as genuine “3-shotters”, but often the ego will end up hurting the big hitters. Not surprisingly quite a few balls end up in the “drink” on these holes. At any rate I like the fact that these holes can be played a variety of ways. As for the Par 3s, I rate the 16th as the prettiest hole. All are a solid test of golf with short, mid & long irons required. Naturally, choice of club is highly dependent on wind conditions.

What I have noticed is how well positioned the fairway bunkers are, capable of trapping the mis-executed drives of the big hitter and just as likely to swallow the mis-timed slice or hook coming off the clubface of the high handicapper. Greenside bunkers are plentiful and reward accuracy as to be expected.

Ultimately this is an inspiring course that gives the golfer a great sense of satisfaction when a good score has been posted.

• handeltav and Johnnysuib like this

#2 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

This belongs in the 'Your favourite golf courses' section.

#3 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Mate I have been out there twice in the last week and the condition is terrible, I would be furious if I was paying 2.5k a year for what is being dished up at the moment, the biggest problem is the fairways, they are too long and look like they have weeds growing out, bunkers were pretty good, greens just okay but at 2.5k a year I would want faster and smoother than what they are at the moment.

I really enjoy the layout though, unfortunately I just don't think the have the cash in the bank to spend on course maintenance at the moment.

• RobNewy likes this

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#4 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4222 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Gee a bloody disaster if so, the poor old members of croydon certainly weren't sold that prior to the move

#5 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Please don't misinterpret what I was saying as taking a shot at the club either.

I truly do love the layout/design, as the OP said the fairway bunkering is quite good, one of my favourite holes is the 5th hole the Par 5, water down the left to give you the jeepers and a fairway bunker about 220  out on the right hand side to stop you from cutting/aiming away from the water, a really great hole.

It has one of the better clubhouses I'v seen to.

But the conditioning is truly quite ordinary.

#6 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oh and Eastern isn't the only competition they have out there, I'v had the opportunity to tour the new Gardiners Run (which you have to drive past to get to Yering) and it is a cracking layout. Will end up looking very similar to Waterford Valley. If they can keep on top of conditioning then they will give both Eastern and Yering a run for their money.

#7 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Have noticed the fairways are longish atm but have found ballstriking a treat. "Terrible"........would have to disagree. 6 day membership $1715, 7 day $2130. Greens could be better, but I certainly don't think members are paying over the odds. I reckon I'm lucky to have this course at my disposal.

#8 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Agree Tigerblood....good description of 5.

#9 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Have noticed the fairways are longish atm but have found ballstriking a treat. "Terrible"........would have to disagree. 6 day membership $1715, 7 day $2130. Greens could be better, but I certainly don't think members are paying over the odds. I reckon I'm lucky to have this course at my disposal.

I would but each to their own.

My apologies bout misquoting the subs, I should have checked before I called it out.

But doesn't excuse the state of the fairways and greens. Teeboxes weren't that great either actually.

#10 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

I would but each to their own.

My apologies bout misquoting the subs, I should have checked before I called it out.

But doesn't excuse the state of the fairways and greens. Teeboxes weren't that great either actually.

Disagree in regard to the tee boxes. I don't like using a tee if hitting hybrid or iron off the tee and I never have to waste time hunting for flat ground and good lies.

#11 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

No dramas mate, if you would kindly stop pinching ground staff from Heritage that would be much appreciated  :)

I like to see all clubs prosper anyway, how is the club going I heard the new manager seems to be straightening things up a bit?

I was talking to the GM of Gardiners Run and he said they, Eastern, Yering and Heritage have had meetings and all seem to be willing to work together to promote golf in the region which is great news.

Fingers crossed one day there might be a "Yarra Valley" reciprocal agreement much like the existing Yarra River one.

#12 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

No dramas mate, if you would kindly stop pinching ground staff from Heritage that would be much appreciated   :)

I like to see all clubs prosper anyway, how is the club going I heard the new manager seems to be straightening things up a bit?

I was talking to the GM of Gardiners Run and he said they, Eastern, Yering and Heritage have had meetings and all seem to be willing to work together to promote golf in the region which is great news.

Fingers crossed one day there might be a "Yarra Valley" reciprocal agreement much like the existing Yarra River one.

Yep definitely.....may they all prosper. I reckon a "Yarra Valley Reciprocal Agrreement" will eventuate in time. Some sort of Mega Membership would go a long way to luring Social Golfers unwilling to be tied down to playing golf at one course. It would be a win-win for all clubs, if egos can be put aside for the betterment of the game.

#13 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1613 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

No "Yarra Valley" reciprocal will eventuate.  THGCC is a business concern as compare to the others.

Gripnrip, looks like you want to be convinced to take up the membership after your temp. membership !  The subs is certainly cheap cf THGCC, about $3800.

#14 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

I have empathy for Heritage given they were pioneers of Private Membership golf in the area. Given their annual fees it could be said they are servicing a different type of membership clientele as compared to Yering Meadows, Eastern and Chirnside. I wish them the very best moving forward.
Eastern & Yering Meadows atleast will have a very cooperative relationship if they know what's good for them.
As for me, I'm just happy that the body's holding up and I can play play week in, week out on a good track. I've made up my mind to stick with Yering Meadows and will enjoy my time there.

#15 JayP1972

JayP1972

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Reading with interest all the posts on this topic.

I am too a full member at Yering, and have found that the course has come a long way, even over the last 6 months since the new manger and greens keeper came on board. The greens and surrounds are much better, and the rough has been allowed to thicken, so as capture balls and deter players from blindly aiming to large areas off the tee.

I agree with regards to the fairways at the moment, a tad long and some signs of weeds, but did notice spraying has been done and those weeds that are there have started to die off. Within 2 weeks the fairways will be much better.

In reality, Eastern is 4 years being an established, "good" course, with Gardiners Run 12-18 months away from being in a similar condition. Heritage is Heritage, will always be a cut above all these courses.

I think for what you pay, you get a very reasonable package. Really well appointed club house, awesome views of the Yarra Valley, practice facalities that are better than most private courses, a genuine 27 hole championship layout course, and a great bunch of members to boot.

It would a pleasure to get all of the Vic ISG players out there for a OOM day, and I'm sure that could be arranged at any time. It would also be great to see how some of the forum pro's go getting themselves around the course!

Gripnrip, hopefully get a round in with you up there soon.

• ellimb likes this

AKA: JayP72

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users