#31 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Went to The Ridge golf course again today for another 9 hole practice round but this time with a mate. I was going to play the 2 ball game as suggested above, but I was time poor this morning so played just the one. 

The practice is starting to pay off already, with my ball striking much better, although it played havoc with my metreages on some of the holes with me hitting the very back of the green and rolling off on 3 occasions. 

My chipping was a marked improvement with only one chip not going there thereabouts to where I wanted it too, but still managed to get on the green. 

Putting is still above the 2 putts per hole barrier that I feel I need to get below. However, I feel I'm hitting them better with the putter and lining up ok, its the speed control that I need to work on. I missed most of the putts today due to being too soft.

Now to get some more practice in.

• Hokey Pokey likes this

#32 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

practice its a dirty word to many, especially on zgolf.

I love practice, others call it the mindless bashing of balls, but they are doing it wrong.

When your hitting balls, you should learn more from a bad shot/swing/setup than you do from a good shot got to hit every shot as if your on the course, that means lining it up and setting up as if its the real deal. It takes me about an hour to hit 70-80 irons.

Around the green chipping you can just knock them around as its more about swing and distance control, every now and then line one up properly and see if you can sink it.

• pants likes this

If my posts offend you, well you've taken it the wrong way, the internet can be like that.
Just blame it on my ADD

I'd be off +5 if I hit 8 irons all day

http://www.golflink....k_no=4071122303

#33 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Played at New Brighton in their open competition this morning and well, everything sort of fell apart. My chipping was so poor that it cost me 3 holes, and caused a few 1 point holes.

Off the tees and fairway shots were normal for me, maybe a little worse due to swinging a little quick. However, I tried to play smart by choosing clubs that I knew I could play well and not go for the green on every hole from the fairway and try and leave myself in good positions, but my chipping was terrible. I seemed to be hitting them fat and really weak. I was taking a small divot but not hitting the ball. I felt i was lifting my head but to be honest, I'm really not sure what went wrong. 

Putting was much better and saved me a few times.

The back nine I played much better (even with 2 holes being scrapped due to chipping) and feel much happier with how I was playing.

Now to sort out my short game.  

#34 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

As I had no golf on today, I decided an early morning chipping and putting session was in order, its also my weakness and therefore I need to dedicate 2/3 of my  practice time to it.

I have had a lesson on both chipping and putting, and went back over the notes, and found with my chipping I was chopping down on the ball to quickly, had my hands too far forward of the ball and was lifting my whole body, either at or before contact. 

All this was leading to really poor form, poor results and poor scoring. 

I also, used some tips found in this video, and more the last minute, where Martin Hall talks about letting the club's natural gravity do the work. 

After about 20 mins, I found I was starting to make much more consistent. I made sure my grip pressure was lighter, (more like my putting grip pressure) my hands were only slightly in front of the ball, and I was letting the club come through more naturally instead of forced. The most important thing I found was if i kept looking at the spot on the ground till well after contact, i kept my body movement more in sync and not lifting. 

The end result was much better contact, more control, and a nice soft, loft shot. 

I forgot to take video, but will next time. I didnt want to work on anything but consistent contact so only used my 54 degree. Now, to start using more clubs to see the flight and roll.

Lets hope I can replicate this in a game. 

#35 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Do you use bump and run when a meter or so off the green then chipping for further out? This is what I do and find it works well, also started putting off the green when it's appropriate

I've been working on Phil Michelsons hinge and hold and find it quite good, if I can master it I think it's going to continue to drop shots. My issue is I throw the ball up too high perhaps on chips so the ball stops on the spot generally

Keep your feet really close together remember around the greens, makes a lot of difference

Will watch that video you put there

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#36 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Do you use bump and run when a meter or so off the green then chipping for further out? This is what I do and find it works well, also started putting off the green when it's appropriate

I've been working on Phil Michelsons hinge and hold and find it quite good, if I can master it I think it's going to continue to drop shots. My issue is I throw the ball up too high perhaps on chips so the ball stops on the spot generally

Keep your feet really close together remember around the greens, makes a lot of difference

Will watch that video you put there

I don't really use the bump and run that much, its another thing I need to work on. My whole short game is very limited and that is where I feel once, i get it working, I will drop a heap of shots. I did watch your video and have been keen to start using it. I do sometimes putt from around the greens but previously my putting wasn't that great, but that has improved and will be working on that again soon. 

I have tried the hinge and hold, and found I tended to hit the ball a bit hard, so thought If i start with a hinge and then control the speed that worked best for me. 

Cheers for tips, I will start to practice the bump and run, as well as keeping my feet closer together. 

#37 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I don't really use the bump and run that much, its another thing I need to work on. My whole short game is very limited and that is where I feel once, i get it working, I will drop a heap of shots. I did watch your video and have been keen to start using it. I do sometimes putt from around the greens but previously my putting wasn't that great, but that has improved and will be working on that again soon.

I have tried the hinge and hold, and found I tended to hit the ball a bit hard, so thought If i start with a hinge and then control the speed that worked best for me.

Cheers for tips, I will start to practice the bump and run, as well as keeping my feet closer together.

No worries

I'm no guru, but I did drop probably 7 shots or more a round by getting the short game sharper, especially chip and run with an 8 iron.

It feels like such an easy shot when you get it, it's just club back, club forward and no need to get it into the air much, really just using a putter stroke

Taking a 58 degree or sw to the club and just hitting 10 balls for a few hours is great fun and its amazing how quickly you get good at it

Anyway, good luck

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#38 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Played at Pymble today in the Golflink race to Bonville. I didnt keep stats on FIR, GIR etc and just wanted to have some fun and not worry about my stats and concentrate on my chipping and what I had worked on.

After the last few weeks of playing really poorly, I played much better. Still above my HC, but much better. I just couldn't sink a putt all day. I had a 4 putt and a few 3 putts that I remember and even missed a few 1 putt chances that should of been taken. 

I used the advice of SirTop (thanks again) and used my 8 iron on a couple chips around the green and was really happy with how that turned out. 

It feels like such an easy shot when you get it, it's just club back, club forward and no need to get it into the air much, really just using a putter stroke

My chipping/pitching was really good today after the practice, and found mid round that I was starting to get confident with my chipping. It started to open up new options to me, in regards to laying up or just planning my approaches better. 

Now to work on my putting. I found I just kept pushing or under hitting most of my missed putts.

#39 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Pants, I don't profess to be an expert putter, but I do love putting.

My tips for improving putting

1. Read Bob Rotella's book - Putting out of your mind.  I re-read this about every three months or so - it is an outstanding guide to the mental aspects of putting, pre-shot routines etc.

2. Spend most of your practice time with putting on putts inside 6 feet.  Hit hundreds of the damn things to practice the technical improvements you are working on and the mental strategies that you read about in that book (see point 1.)  If you are anything like me, this will make you much more confident at holing any putt within 6 feet and an absolute monty to hole anything inside 4 feet.  And for me, that took a heap of pressure off my first putts - I don't feel like I have to get my first putts within a foot in order to be confident of a two putt.  As a result, the first putts often improve as well.

• Tonk and pants like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#40 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks very much mate.  I will check out the book, and will definitely get working on the 6 foot range.

Pants, I don't profess to be an expert putter, but I do love putting.

My tips for improving putting

1. Read Bob Rotella's book - Putting out of your mind.  I re-read this about every three months or so - it is an outstanding guide to the mental aspects of putting, pre-shot routines etc.

2. Spend most of your practice time with putting on putts inside 6 feet.  Hit hundreds of the damn things to practice the technical improvements you are working on and the mental strategies that you read about in that book (see point 1.)  If you are anything like me, this will make you much more confident at holing any putt within 6 feet and an absolute monty to hole anything inside 4 feet.  And for me, that took a heap of pressure off my first putts - I don't feel like I have to get my first putts within a foot in order to be confident of a two putt.  As a result, the first putts often improve as well.

#41 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Pants I am ISGs worst putter, seriously I am so bad its not funny I can shoot 80 off the stick with 36 putts any day of the week.

Today I tried something different, again.

I exhaled all my breath like you do when your shooting a rifle, then I gripped the putter with a very firm right hand and immediately the back swing and follow through was so much firmer and straighter and stronger.

Very good results for only 30 minutes of using it.

Something I think might stick with and work on??

If my posts offend you, well you've taken it the wrong way, the internet can be like that.
Just blame it on my ADD

I'd be off +5 if I hit 8 irons all day

http://www.golflink....k_no=4071122303

#42 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2993 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hey Pants, I used to really struggle putting as well. Main things that helped me was concentrating on keeping my head very still and really trying to get the putter going back and through straight. Above all I resist the temptation to look up until after I have hit the ball, looking up too early to see where its going will cause the pull or push. Also I don't hit balls before a comp anymore, when most others are hitting ball after ball on the range I am putting ball after ball on the putting green. Good luck mate!

• pants likes this

#43 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Its great to see that I'm not the only one that struggles with the putter. Well maybe not great, but a relief. lol.

Has anyone ever used a bit of hinge and hold technique on the putting, not as extreme as the hinge and hold technique for chipping. I tried it, and I hit the ball more cleanly, but did find  was hitting them too firmly. 

#44 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4604 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I would definitely tend to avoiding any wrist involvement with putting.  Dave Pelz reckons the pendulum stroke is the easiest or should I say simplest to create a consistent repeatable stroke.  One of the changes I am working on at the moment is trying to take any arm involvement out of my putting stroke.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#45 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

I would definitely tend to avoiding any wrist involvement with putting.  Dave Pelz reckons the pendulum stroke is the easiest or should I say simplest to create a consistent repeatable stroke.  One of the changes I am working on at the moment is trying to take any arm involvement out of my putting stroke.

Thanks mate.  Im really searching for anything that will help me be more consistent. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users