#1 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Having been on here a few months, and having read a few of the posts, I thought I would start my own. Hoping that it not only holds me accountable, but also, so I can keep track of my progress. 

Having played socially on and off for years, (once every 3 or so months) i took it up competitively in August 2013. And I feel I have improved already (probably quicker than I thought I would).

As it stands now, my handicap is 18.6, but I'm currently actually playing to around 22. My strength is distance. Weaknesses are 100 m in, and all that, that implies. 

So the goal for 2014, is to get my handicap down below 14 and stay down.

For myself to shave 4 shots off my handicap, I only need to look at some of my stats from recent games, I had two 4 putts, and three 3 putts, leading to a few wipes. Even a few 2 putts were wipes, due to poor pitching.

First thing is to have a game on Friday and record the game with full stats and start to analyse exactly where I'm making the mistakes and to start working out a practice strategy. 

I will post the stats of my round after Friday for any feedback.

I look forward to all the comments and suggestions.

Pants

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20339 posts
  • Location.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Good stuff Pants.

Look forward to reading about your progress.

Good luck.

#3 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

I don't know if I am qualified to comment as I am the resident chopper, however, your putting well that can be an easy fix don't mess around or persevere, get a lesson, trust me on that.

Do you miss putts left or right or short??

The best $80 you will spend is on a putting lesson, it could be as simple as club face angle IE thinking your aiming where you want to, but your not, putter might not be suitable for a number of reasons. Is your stroke straight back straight through? all of this will be addressed in a lesson and then reinforced with practice.

If you have good practice facilities grab your wedge and bag of balls and go and hit them, then again and again, today tomorrow the next day then the next and so on, if you have a decent swing it wont take long to dial in your distances with a wedge 1/2 3/4 etc, its like you get out what you put in.

But I wont bore you with any more of my unintelligible dribble.

Good luck I am sure you will make it, cause golf aint that hard.

If my posts offend you, well you've taken it the wrong way, the internet can be like that.
Just blame it on my ADD

I'd be off +5 if I hit 8 irons all day

http://www.golflink....k_no=4071122303

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41972 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Look forward to reading how it goes pants

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hi GCG,

I mainly muss putts due to pace. I have corrected a few things and feel I'm reading breaks better. I did go for a lesson a few days ago and found I had an outside in stroke on my putting which led to a slice in my putt. I got a few drills to do and a putting aid which I have put to good use already.

Thanks guys.

#6 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

The first practice for the new year done.

I picked up 2 wedges from Christmas, (54 and 58 Callaway forged wedges). So spent most of the time working out distances at the range.  

Found I was pushing them right of the target so moved the ball forward in my stance slightly and found this worked well. 

Spent some time chipping as well to get the feel for them around a green. 

All in all, a good hour and half practicing and my swing felt good. 

Tomorrow, chipping and putting. Hopefully this sets me up for a good game Friday.

#7 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

So after reading quiet a few threads on here on how to practice, I thought I would take some of the advice given to others and try it out for my self. 

So I went to The Ridge in Sydney and practiced my putting and chipping with a mate. After working on a few things with my putting after my lesson, we decided to have a game. Using 3 balls, we would decide on 3 different holes and putt one ball per hole. This being more like a game situation, where you don't get to roll 3 or more balls at the same hole. 

I bought a putting aide to help me, and I can see a huge difference in my putting already (tomorrow is the true test)

Attached File  putting practice.jpg   238.39KB   4 downloads

We used this game scenario on the chipping green as well. 

I felt I got more out of my practice by making it more like a game situation. 

Edited by pants, 02 January 2014 - 10:24 AM.

• Hokey Pokey likes this

#8 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

I bought that exact same alignment tool 2 weeks ago and my putting has gone from you're effn joking aren't you ou chopper, to knocking them in from almost everywhere, and if they miss they are just missing, unless I completely misread a green which happens sometimes amazing what a square putter face can do.

Keep at it keep practising, golf aint a hard game when you know how to do what you want to do.

• pants likes this

If my posts offend you, well you've taken it the wrong way, the internet can be like that.
Just blame it on my ADD

I'd be off +5 if I hit 8 irons all day

http://www.golflink....k_no=4071122303

#9 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looking forward to reading about your journey pants, good luck mate.

#10 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Played at The Coast in Sydney in an open event today. It wasn't a great start to the new year, but the positive thing was that it will get better. Ended up with 6 scratches and 24 points. The scratches were from the result of a hook that really effected my irons. I was happy to score 24, so that shows how bad I was hitting them :-)

Biggest issue I had, was my iron play (even from the fairway). I was happy enough with how i drove the ball with the driver or 3 wood, but my irons had a big hook, making me miss the greens left. The good thing was i was either just short or a good length. 

Pitching, chipping and putting were not bad, but still need some work, especially my pitching. 

Unfortunately, my stats keeping app on my phone died mid round, but I know where I need to improve and that is iron play and short game. So now for an afternoon beer and watch the cricket.

#11 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Played at The Coast in Sydney in an open event today. It wasn't a great start to the new year, but the positive thing was that it will get better. Ended up with 6 scratches and 24 points. The scratches were from the result of a hook that really effected my irons. I was happy to score 24, so that shows how bad I was hitting them :-)

Biggest issue I had, was my iron play (even from the fairway). I was happy enough with how i drove the ball with the driver or 3 wood, but my irons had a big hook, making me miss the greens left. The good thing was i was either just short or a good length. 

Pitching, chipping and putting were not bad, but still need some work, especially my pitching. 

Unfortunately, my stats keeping app on my phone died mid round, but I know where I need to improve and that is iron play and short game. So now for an afternoon beer and watch the cricket.

Welcome pants and good luck.

This shaved at least 4 shots off my last game, after using it for half an hour the night before.

The coaches seem to rave about it I'm told, and I wished someone told me about it when I started. I creates a nice swing arc for putting and is the best $39 I've spent in ages.

http://www.rebelspor...?menuFrom=32006

I'm similar to you, 30 HC in Feb, down to 17.5 now and target of 12 or so in a few months and single figures.

If you ever want a hit at Kogarah let me know, I play Sunday morning comp and can have guests along to play.

• pants likes this

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#12 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi Pants and good luck. i think I'm in the same boat as you, but my cap is probably 2-4 higher.

Long game usually good, short game sucks big time

went to the range today and spent 2 hours solid on chips and pitches.

• pants likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#13 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

This shaved at least 4 shots off my last game, after using it for half an hour the night before.

The coaches seem to rave about it I'm told, and I wished someone told me about it when I started. I creates a nice swing arc for putting and is the best $39 I've spent in ages.

I'm similar to you, 30 HC in Feb, down to 17.5 now and target of 12 or so in a few months and single figures.

If you ever want a hit at Kogarah let me know, I play Sunday morning comp and can have guests along to play.

Glad you enjoy the perfect plane Sir Top - I use it in the spare bedroom (about the only room in the house with carpet)

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#14 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Glad you enjoy the perfect plane Sir Top - I use it in the spare bedroom (about the only room in the house with carpet)

Hey thanks mate, yeah it was your tip on that one, my memory is a shocker. What a ripper it is, made a big difference already.

I've noticed I'm knocking in probably twice as many 6ft puts (which I choked on b4) and not missing many of those silly 3-4ft puts when I over-thought it and talk myself out of it

I owe you big time
  • Weetbix likes this

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#15 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

SirTop, cheers for the link. I will have to get up to rebel and get one of these. I was looking around, and the pro did give me a drill to do at home to get a proper path on my stroke, but this will make that a lot easier. 

Well done of getting the HC down. I move to brisbane, soon so won't be able to take you up on the offer, but thank you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users