pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

G'day all,

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how long before a competition would you get a lesson.  

I was thinking 2 weeks would be a pretty good period before the comp to have the lesson.This would allow me time to adjust and practice the new things. 

Thanks

• Madam likes this

#2 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2974 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

G'day all,

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how long before a competition would you get a lesson.  

I was thinking 2 weeks would be a pretty good period before the comp to have the lesson.This would allow me time to adjust and practice the new things. 

Thanks

The comp is a lesson and every comp after is a lesson. Play as much comp golf as you can and take lessons as you feel they are needed. These two things should be exclusive of each other in my opinion.

• Tonk and pants like this

#3 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14625 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi Pants  depends on what type of change is being made. Major overhaul then you need the time to adapt to changes, if only minor tweaks then may not matter at all.

• Weetbix and pants like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#4 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

The comp is a lesson and every comp after is a lesson. Play as much comp golf as you can and take lessons as you feel they are needed. These two things should be exclusive of each other in my opinion.

To be honest, i had never really looked at it this way. 

Thanks for the input guys.

#5 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

How much practice do you plan on doing before taking it to the course??

I had my first ever golf lesson today, changed a few things, stronger left hand,moved ball position forward, tilted left shoulder and adjusted right hip, more sticking ass out and stand further away from the ball so I don't stand up in the shot. Pretty big changes, but after hitting a **** load of balls today the setup feels good, swing plane needs a few thousand balls though, probably only hit 60% of the balls today good to really good.

I plan on hitting 4-600 balls a day for the next few days and I'll be at the Glades on Friday, where they go nobody knows, as todays long irons were all in the practice net.

Just get a lesson and go reinforce what you've changed, go back after a few days just so the pro can see if what your doing is what he wanted?

If my posts offend you, well you've taken it the wrong way, the internet can be like that.
Just blame it on my ADD

I'd be off +5 if I hit 8 irons all day

http://www.golflink....k_no=4071122303

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38880 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

I had a lesson 2 weeks before going out and NAGA-ing my next comp game.

Depending on how much change you are making, be careful trying to take new stuff out onto the course too quickly before it becomes part of your normal routine.

• GhettoGolfer, Weetbix, Francie and 1 other like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#7 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Is this the drunk thread ?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41867 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Is this the drunk thread ?

Now you're here? Yes!
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Cheers guys, 

I had a lesson a few months back that fixed some big issues, mainly with swing plain and grip, and my whole chipping setup, I think this time will be minor changes. 

Practice will probably depend on what changes are made, but im thinking a couple times a week. till the comp. 

#10 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Pants, if you changed your equipment, would you front up in completion using the new gear?

#11 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

You need as much time after your lesson as it takes to ingrain the changes to your technique or swing that the lesson makes. The worst thing you can do is take a lesson, then ignore the practice and repetition required to develop the changes. You need to trust what your teacher is showing you and work through it.

Bob Rotella once wisely said that 'comfort and habit are the enemies of improvement'. So you should expect to feel awkward for a some time, but you need to work through it to break bad swing habits. Whatever you do, don't get frustrated and just revert to what you did previously because you are about to play a competition. Firstly, you'll waste the lesson (and the cost). Secondly, the competition will interfere with longer-term goals.

If anything, you should expect to score worse than you used to for some time after the lesson. A teacher I had once said that it was actually good to score badly and feel uncomfortable for a while, because it shows you are working through the changes, not immediately worrying about scoring.

A golfer I met once told me that he went for a lesson but the pro "tried to change too much". I asked him how much he expected to change, and he said 'not much'. My immediate thought was 'then why did you have a lesson?'. He was more comfortable scoring occasionally and merely adequately off a high handicap, with a bad swing, than trying to improve himself as a golfer and really score better. Oh well, I guess that's his choice.

#12 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

I achieved my lowest ever hcp (4.4) and then had a lesson. I'm now scoring poorly but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hitting it so much further now and feel like I'm probably only a month away from playing golf better than I ever have. I've had 6 ordinary rounds since my best ever round but I really think I'm not far away. I'll probably go back out to 5,6 or 7 in the next few weeks but I really believe that when things settle down, I can give 3 a nudge.

#13 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Seriously or something, is this really the druk tread ?
  • GhettoGolfer and Yarn like this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#14 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9133 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

If get a chance I would also take a playing lesson.

this will help you and your coach focus on strategy and course management, equally if not more important than swing changes.

plus it helps form a special relationship with your coach as he can see your on course potential and give strategies to play certain holes at your course.

swinging well on practice tee is one thing, taking those good shots on to course and scoring is different, 

you can still score well with a slice or hook if consistent and if other parts of game are OK.

• Francie, ozdevil and pants like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#15 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23883 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

If get a chance I would also take a playing lesson.

this will help you and your coach focus on strategy and course management, equally if not more important than swing changes.

plus it helps form a special relationship with your coach as he can see your on course potential and give strategies to play certain holes at your course.

swinging well on practice tee is one thing, taking those good shots on to course and scoring is different, 

you can still score well with a slice or hook if consistent and if other parts of game are OK.

200% correct, i am lucky to have a great coach who is like a friend.

we have had prolly 5 or 6 games over the last 2 years,

i paid for one and am allowed to ask anything while playing.

he doesn't say do this or do that we just play.

we just discuss a better shot shape or club choice

cant put a value on a playing lesson or game.

i regularly play with a 20+ marker who has never once tried a bunt out on to the fairway from the rough ever. He could shave 5 shots in one foul swoop if he had the ability to change his strategy.

hitting 600 balls is good for practicing whats wrong.

knock your self out

Don't get a lesson if you don't or cant practice, waste of cash.

also if your coach is worth his cash you will be in constant contact re how  practice session's are going with the drills he gave you to do for home work plus any comp results.

Your coach should then decide on that info if a lesson is reqd

• Ari and Tolmij like this
Half the Trentham dream team

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pro lessons, competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users