#286 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Haha, who else looked it up. :) i punched it into the hds and was expecting Pakistan or something :)

Too far out for my small 530 topender :(

That one's fairly common - it's the top end of South Gardiners, it's not that far out

Punch those exact details into Google Earth ;)

We were only out in 5.0m Quintrex "Sea Wasp" ... she's a few years old now, but bounces out there OK. We did an hour and a half at between 9 and 13 knots to get out to a mark one day, only to find the sounder was not working and we had a fuel leak. Turned around and bounced our way back in ... Sheesh, it was a bumpy ocean that day. We had a 2m East swell, a 1m North swell and a SE 'white cap' chop from a 20knot SE breeeze.

#287 lord of the river

lord of the river

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

That one's fairly common - it's the top end of South Gardiners, it's not that far out

Punch those exact details into Google Earth ;)

We were only out in 5.0m Quintrex "Sea Wasp" ... she's a few years old now, but bounces out there OK. We did an hour and a half at between 9 and 13 knots to get out to a mark one day, only to find the sounder was not working and we had a fuel leak. Turned around and bounced our way back in ... Sheesh, it was a bumpy ocean that day. We had a 2m East swell, a 1m North swell and a SE 'white cap' chop from a 20knot SE breeeze.

Sheet, I'd be crapping myself. So where do you launch to get out there ? Off the beach near the barges?

#288 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Sheet, I'd be crapping myself. So where do you launch to get out there ? Off the beach near the barges?

Waddy Point ... of the beach, into a gutter, and time the run out through the waves.

Then, on the way back in, sit on the back of a wave and hope the motor doesn't cough n splutter until your back in the gutter.

We coped a couple on the nose on the way out one day, skipper did the right thing and just hit them square. Water sprayed off the bow, up over the top. Was pretty cool.

We missed the better run on the way in the next day, go super shallow, and skipper had one choice - go fast, get over the wave and into the gutter before the motor staled in the sand ... he got up on the back of the wave in front just about to go over the top when the motor touched, didn't stall, but was like putting the handbrake on. Luckily, the gutter was 'just' in front and she floated over as the wave behind washed us into the gutter.

That's why I no longer drink on the ocean. Gotta have senses in tack crossing the bar - plenty of consumed when safe on the beach.

• RobNewy and lord of the river like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users