23 replies to this topic

#1 ZigZag

ZigZag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

When I'm flailing away at the range I find that a few of my shots actually go straight. But the rare driver shot 'on the screws' barely trickles towards the 200m marker. A similar rare shot on the course , in my estimation, would certainly go  a few inches more than 200m.

Is there something about range balls that I'm oblivious of ? I'm still not ready to concede that I'm cr@p at golf.

" The difference in golf and government is that in golf you cannot improve your lie "

#2 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2611 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yeah I find the same thing as well and have put it down to 2 things when I am at the range:

1) Using the rubber tee up on the mats

2) The balls

I tend to hit straightish(within 10 - 15 mtrs left or right of target) majority of my shots at the range. Loss of distance though when off the mats or grass.

Drives don't do what I have seen on the course when using the rubber tee off the mats in terms of distance and do lose the long right or left hit as well.  

At the range I tend not too worry about distance anymore and more about the shot and if it is doing what I want or not. 

Edited by josephs_79, 17 December 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | X Series Jaw Slate 54* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 60* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on True Temper XP105 Stiff Shafts | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 56* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013)

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours on Project X 5.5 3 - PW | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | X Series Jaw Slate 50* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#3 Golfpunk64

Golfpunk64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Range balls are made differently to a normal golf balls. They're usually a one piece ball and don't travel as far

#4 max_k

max_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSydney North Shore

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have seen balls start off hooking and then go back the other way on the descent. They are very wierd things. Definitely 50m shorter than a normal ball on the driver and take 15m off your irons too.

Pennant Hills GC

GA hcp 17

#5 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11568 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Much depends on how old the balls are. If they have been beat the death then you will see funny flight patterns. Dimples are worn and caused irregularity.

Some ranges use limited flight balls as well.

• max_k likes this

#6 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27104 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

I asked the local range, the balls do not go as far, also the markers are short of the marked distance to compensate. It is supposed to give you the same overall experiance.

Most range balls are just not well made.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#7 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4584 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

I believe from similar threads in the past range balls go about 10% less distance. Thats what you pay for when you buy a proper ball. Probably less if very old and abused. I try to go to ranges that use proper balls - on the Gold Coast that's Colonial and Carrara Gardens. There are probably others but these are very close to me so have not gone looking further afield. 

I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#8 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

I don't range .....don't rate it.....get bored with it

But won't visit a range that uses the yellow rocks by srixon

Leave marks on driver faces ..more than just hit marks.

#9 FuzzyJuzzy2109

FuzzyJuzzy2109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Wonder what price driving range owners are paying for the shitty yellow Srixons....and how much they would be saving over just buying old/used actual golf balls. The only driving ranges I've used in Sydney that still use actual golf balls are at The Lakes, Camden Lakeside, and Georges River GC...

915D3 w/ Rogue Silver 60 S
915F 3W w/ Rogue Black 80 S
915H 18* w/ Rogue Black 85H S
MP-64s 4-PW w/ S300
Vokey SM4s 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.0 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

"Everybody's a critic and most people are DJs." The Hold Steady.

#10 Golfpunk64

Golfpunk64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Wonder what price driving range owners are paying for the shitty yellow Srixons....and how much they would be saving over just buying old/used actual golf balls. The only driving ranges I've used in Sydney that still use actual golf balls are at The Lakes, Camden Lakeside, and Georges River GC...

$10.75 a dozen.

I've been to a few driving ranges that have real balls. Being cheap balls they're absolute rocks and offer no feel, especially around the short game area. The thing I like about the yellow Srixon balls is they're quite soft and have a pretty high spin rate, so you can take them to the short game area and they feel and play pretty close to a decent ball.

#11 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

At a Golf Driving Range golf balls are generally of a lower compression and do not travel as far. They last longer and to the Owners delight do not tend to fly the back fence on a regular basis :)

#12 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I hit range balls really well compared with proper balls on the course...

• Weetbix likes this

#13 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

I've heard that range balls also come in different levels of distance reduction, ie 10% less, 15% less, 20% less etc.  So suppliers are able to provide balls for long driving ranges, as well as much shorter ones.

#14 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Apart from the main issue of keeping range balls within a confined area, another reason to use dedicated range balls is to try and reduce theft. Real golf balls as range balls equals more disappearing into golf bags.

#15 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38776 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

That's a very good point FL

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands