454 replies to this topic

#1 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Anyone on here invest in his punting club?

It is worrying that 'respected' members of the community- lawyers, policemen, judges, sport stars believed him when he spruiked he has a system and returns are 40%.

Hate to say it- but if that doesn't scream Ponzi to you, you deserve to lose your money........or give it to me.

If it is true that judges were investors, they should be struck from the bar immediately as all judgements they make cannot be taken seriously.

• Tolmij and jafflemaker like this

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

It is worrying that 'respected' members of the community- lawyers, policemen, judges, sport stars believed him when he spruiked he has a system and returns are 40%.

Hate to say it- but if that doesn't scream Ponzi to you, you deserve to lose your money........or give it to me.

If it is true that judges were investors, they should be struck from the bar immediately as all judgements they make cannot be taken seriously.

Was just saying the same thing to a mate- Ponzi!

BTW I think he has set up his own bashing!

• jafflemaker likes this

#3 Red_Webster

Red_Webster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Stick to the few subjects you might know something about.  You consistently come across as a complete flog.

I've been involved in a punting syndicate for several years, much like this one and plenty other punting syndicates out there.  And i'm sure i'm not the only person to make money out of it.  I'm still in it and will continue to do so until I think my money is better invested somewhere else.  It fluctuates as you would expect any high risk investment butthe returns have been good.

This syndicate with Bill Vlahos is clearly not what it was sold as and plenty of well meaning people have been burnt badly.  Is every person who invested with Bernie Madoff dumb as dog sh1t and branded incompetent?  There's only so much due dilligence you can do and if people you know well are making money then you make a decision based on the risks and returns.

To suggest it was screaming Ponzi is just dumb and ill informed.  Hindsight is the friend of many a c0ckhead.

• jafflemaker likes this

#4 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Oh sorry for stating the bleeding obvious. My mistake.

So, have you ever heard of an old proverb-' If it sounds too good........' you probably know the rest.

You are pretty aggressive.

It screams PONZI to anyone who understands life. Greed makes people lose all judgement and perspective.

BTW- if you want to invest some of your winnings Red, I have a bridge to sell. bahahahaha. I'll throw in Black Caviar's half brother for good measure.

• Tolmij and jafflemaker like this

#5 golden warrior

golden warrior

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7212 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Why should it be worrying that professionals invest in this ? we're not all wage slaves like yourself looking over their shoulders worrying what the bosses are seeing on the surveillance video.

My home town had about 600 members, many i know. i tried to get into it but was refused luckily, some people have lost millions, am i sad for them, no....i know it's loose change for them and just a hobby to most so it's no great lose. some clowns borrowed against their homes, now that's sad and just plain stupid. As you mention the returns were just amazing, anyone with some common sense going into it knows it's high risk. I'd planned on putting $50k in but was refused, if i lost it would not hurt. my pride may be dented but it's only money and readily available if you're intelligent enough.

jafflemaker, you do talk sh1t.

Edited by Codboy, 11 December 2013 - 02:03 PM.

• Francie and Red_Webster like this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#6 Phil Mycrackin

Phil Mycrackin

Single

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18367 posts
  • LocationReady to mingle

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Jaffle is your issue just with Ponzi schemes or punting syndicates as well?

Some investments are higher risk than others.

You shouldn't borrow money to invest in a high risk investment.

But everyone has a choice no one held a gun to their head.

#7 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Cod boy you are going to have to outbid redwebster for the bridge on eBay :) I also have an emu farm. Massive returns as China has an insatiable appetite for emu burgers
  • Tolmij likes this

#8 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3097 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Punting syndicates are rarely good investments, that is why it is called punting.  

• Tolmij likes this

#9 golden warrior

golden warrior

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7212 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Cod boy you are going to have to outbid redwebster for the bridge on eBay :) I also have an emu farm. Massive returns as China has an insatiable appetite for emu burgers

i rest my case

• Francie likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#10 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27140 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Keep this going jaffle, with you all the way. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Edited by Tolmijicator, 11 December 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#11 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Keep this going jaffle, with you all the way. A fool and his money are easily parted.

I really don't get this Tol, why the crack at Cod for spending his money how he wants?

I didn't think that was in you...

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#12 winniereds77

winniereds77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

stirrer :)

• Tolmij likes this

The Trouble with life is there’s no background music

#13 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12374 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

"Punt what you can afford to lose" is the mantra I go by.

Investment is simply a different spin on the word. What differs is the risk involved in whatever punt/investment is in question.

I can't afford to lose my house or job, so don't take punts involving those. For some the "disposable" amount is $5, others $50, others $50k.

People can spend whatever they like whenever they like as far as I'm concerned. Just don't come cap in hand as a result of your own stupidity in taking on more risk than you can afford. People who have used equity in their house are a prime example of this. You took the risk, you enjoy the winnings. Just don't whinge when the Pyramid (see what I did there) comes crashing down.

Live within your means seems is easier to say than do for some.

• golden warrior, Tolmij, jafflemaker and 1 other like this

Castlemaine Non-Handicap Winner - Net 73

2013 OOM4 A Grade Winner - Heritage St Johns - 33pts

2016 TSC Winner - Eynesbury - 34pts

Taking midtable mediocrity to the top of the podium...

Smoldy. - Baconwide Tour Creators and Ambassadors

VTTP #008

http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204213

#14 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27140 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I really don't get this Tol, why the crack at Cod for spending his money how he wants?

I didn't think that was in you...

Not having a go at anyone in particular, after seeing the results of a relative addicted to gambling I realy think it's a mugs game. There are obviously winners but as with everything in life there are also losers. Gambling is a way of reallocating money, the only money available is that gambled so inevitably winners, losers.

There are a few very rich ppl from gambling, not very often its a punter, If anyone wants to risk it best of luck to them, but I don't have to agree with their decision.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#15 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Can't believe they wouldn't take your 50k cod. Must be pretty dirty money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users