#948 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

2 buckets of yellow rocks at Emerald Lakes cos under cover there. Hmmm. Variable. Still struggling to remove out to in path. Started to hit some nice shots after a bucket. Will be rocks or diamonds next weekend. Probably rocks. Might flag for Mick if I’m lucky. Feel like Faldo in 1986. Except obviously not in so many ways.
Decided this week to give the careful putting set up the flick cos it hasn’t worked for me at all. Will be setting up open a la Seve and trusting to feel.
Ha ha. Ha.
  • hack2489 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#949 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

96 ots today champ. Good luck.

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#950 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:50 PM

As I said...

#951 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:13 PM

102 OTS today. Would have been a good flag for you. 😄
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, iRON MiCK and hack2489 like this

#952 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:31 PM

Managed to fit in a couple of Nats games between work and family stuff. Thanks to Mads and the others for organising. And my partners Mouldy, Goldie, Deege, and Koiom. Lots of fun.

Friday Sanctuary Pines.
29 points.
First 2 holes I didn’t hit a decent shot. Then got it together for 21points over the next 8 holes then fell away with some bad drives and poor short game.
With the changes to my putting grip and stance it was poor but not embarrassingly so. Left about 8 shots on the green. Lost about 4 on the driver

Today Lakelands
A bit tired and hungover. Thank God for the bacon roll. Again took me a couple of holes to start hitting the ball half decent.
Putting better again. About 4 x 3 putts. One 4 puttif you count Texas wedge. Goldy seemed to think I should. Fewer duffed shots. 102 off the stick but cap dropped .6 to 24.2. 3 putt on the 18th cost a decent placing.

Still not where I want to be but heading in the right direction. At least I played to my handicap today.

Highlights. Fairway bunker on 6 at The Pines. 135m 6i to the back of the green over water. Fantastic 4i went 170m over the green on another. Went too far but just felt soooo nice. But then skulled chip and 3 putts for a 6.

Need to continue the current practice on full swing short game and off course putting.

Edited by Toph, 21 October 2018 - 05:33 PM.

• hack2489 likes this

#953 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4629 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

Your putting was pretty solid all day in that iffy 3-5 foot range.  You put a good stroke on the ball.   Great solid score in the end.

• Toph likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#954 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20442 posts
  • Location.

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Great solid score in the end.

Didn’t he have 102 OTS?

#955 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Didn’t he have 102 OTS?

Depends on your definitions and goalposts !
Solid for me. Blancmange for others.
  • upnin likes this

#956 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

Somerset golf day.
4B Ambrose. Not my fav.
Some good shots some bad. The usual.
Highlights were a 48 deg 65m over bunker to 4-5ft and sunk it. And a 30 foot snaky putt sunk on the last.
Didn’t win anything and I was hoping for the lucky door. New golf bag.
  • Weetbix, iRON MiCK and hack2489 like this

#957 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

So. Played an annual game with my indoor cricket mates.
Royal Pines championship course but off the whites.
Played like I have been wanting to play for a long time.
92, daily of 27, 41 points. Won the Poo Jacket.

Didn’t look at the ball all day. Instead looked an inch in front for irons and 2-3 inches back for driver. Chips and pitches included. Tried to forget the ball was there.

Highlights were a 178m 5 wood to 3 feet and 3 little 15-20 m pitches up the banks with the 52 all to 5ft or less.

Still mucked up about 3 drives with snap hooks and still left half a dozen shots in the putting. But so much better.
😊
  • Weetbix, iRON MiCK and Forrest Gardener like this

#958 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

1 birdie 4 pars 7 bogies 2db, 3 tb 2 wipes.
Back 9 was 45 OTS and 36 putts overall.

Edited by Toph, 10 November 2018 - 09:42 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#959 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

So. Played an annual game with my indoor cricket mates.
Royal Pines championship course but off the whites.
Played like I have been wanting to play for a long time.
92, daily of 27, 41 points. Won the Poo Jacket.

Didn’t look at the ball all day. Instead looked an inch in front for irons and 2-3 inches back for driver. Chips and pitches included. Tried to forget the ball was there.

Highlights were a 178m 5 wood to 3 feet and 3 little 15-20 m pitches up the banks with the 52 all to 5ft or less.

Still mucked up about 3 drives with snap hooks and still left half a dozen shots in the putting. But so much better.
😊

Bugger. Forgot a hole. Was actually 96OTS. Still much better and feel I played much better.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#960 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:03 AM

From complete hacker to hopefully a golfer

Pilgrimage - def. A long journey of religious significance to sacred or holy places

The time has come to start my journal. If it bores you - don't read it. Basically firstly as a record to myself, and also because I honestly hope that it will be of some help to others in the future.

BACKDROP

I started playing golf at a young age, which mainly consisted of hitting balls around the back yard. From the age of about 12 my father would occasionally take me to play at Dorking Golf Club, a short 9 hole club where he was a weekday member. Mornings spent there are some of the happiest memories of my childhood.

As a teenager I’d play several times a year, but never broke 100. I only ever had one lesson at the age of about 18.

These were the days of wooden clubs, small balls, bladed irons for all, 7 clubs in the bag.

From age of 20 to 49 I played golf hardly at all, maybe 2-3 times a year at most. Work and family life just became more important.

Fast forward to Feb 2013. Age now 49. Business finally at a level where I can start to have some me time. Children a little older and not needing constant attention. I have a game of golf with a good friend at Emerald Lakes, gold coast. Score about 105 - and thats with my friend Shaun showing me the line of putts and kicking the odd bad lie back towards the fairway. I finally realise that if I am to play this game I need help. Professional help. And new clubs - my old ones are 20+ years old, I still have some wooden woods, and my irons are cheap small headed things from about 1988.

6 out of 10 shots fade heavily or banana to the left. Shaun tells me my swings OK - could just learn to live with the slice. I decide to learn how to hit the ball properly. Should only take a couple of lessons, I reckon.

I set off in search of lessons. Try a couple of cheap group lessons, but somehow I just don’t think they are cutting it. The pros try to give me the odd tip, but I feel I need a major swing overhaul.

LESSONS 2013

After intensive research I come to the conclusion that I need lessons from the best pro that I can find, and I wanted them with Trackman and video. Can’t honestly remember why I thought Trackman was so important - probably some overdeveloped sense of my potential and ability. Anyway this search sent me to Joel at KDV Sport at Carrara. Can't speak highly enough of this man.

My first lesson with Joel he must have looked at my swing and realised that I was the proud owner of just about every conceivable common significant swing flaw in the history of the game. Didn’t tell me this though - probably didn’t want to break my spirit. Instead he just set about righting my posture. I was slouching over the ball with a rounded back, knees too bent, no tilt away from the target etc etc. He got me into the right position. It felt weird and unnatural. He had to show me video of Tiger Woods to convince me. Sent me home with drills to work on posture.

Aha I thought - the secret of golf is mine. But no. over succeeding lessons we worked on my swing plane (too vertical) my legs (too active) my shoulder turn (off plane) my right elbow (fly away) my left wrist (too cupped or extended) my pelvic turn, the generation of a differential between my shoulder and hips, then getting a proper pivot, full follow through, hitting down, and removing the casting motion. Also putting and chips and pitches.

Holy number of things to remember Batman! Every lesson is a revelation, every lesson feels like THE secret, but every lesson leads to only incremental improvement at actually playing the game, although a major change in striking the ball.

IMPROVEMENT IN 2013

I have gone this year from a state of unconscious incompetence, through conscious incompetence, and into conscious competence. At times.

I have taken 10 strokes off my game - which considering I now score 95-103 just goes to show how bad i was.

My friends tell me I look like a different person hitting the ball - I think they are jealous as a couple of them want to get lessons from my pro too now.

I can hit my mid irons and woods quite well most of the time - from a 40% success rate to a 80-90% success rate, and when hitting well have developed a nice draw. My bad shots are hooks and snap hooks with woods, instead of banana slices, and the occasional total fat mishit with irons. I am working on hitting down on an in to out path and removing the casting downswing, though thats a stubborn beastie.

I've been reading the various journal / journey threads you blokes n, is it deege, (the only female on here?) have going...

So, Toph, just a couple of days shy of 5 years, so how's your overall progress, scoring, etc.

You still using the same golf coach?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users