#871 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10129 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Half an hour putting this morning. Trying to have a shorter backswing as per Mads advice and it felt very “poppy” but was probably better. Tending to push if I’m not careful.
Range this arvo. Worked on pulling the chain and smashed the mid irons out there. Woods and driver not so much. Pitches were pretty nice n accurate. For me. 4 iron was **** until I stopped trying to hit it then went nice.
Beautiful sunny crisp 22 degrees. Why would you live anywhere else?

I prefer to live in the present, putting up with colder weather is an acceptable impost!
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#872 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

I prefer to live in the present, putting up with colder weather is an acceptable impost!

I beg to disagree sir. You can have your sleet rain ice and “wet weather gear and thermals”. I prefer to only wear thermals when I go skiing, and I prefer to play golf in pleasant weather 12 months of he year.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#873 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10129 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

I beg to disagree sir. You can have your sleet rain ice and “wet weather gear and thermals”. I prefer to only wear thermals when I go skiing, and I prefer to play golf in pleasant weather 12 months of he year.

Yeah. Gotta admit that the cold weather does suck at times.
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#874 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13904 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

So when did you move to the Bahama's??

• Francie likes this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#875 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34940 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

So when did you move to the Bahama's??

Good year round beer drinking weather...
What am I saying, it's always beer drinking weather.
  • Commish and Madam like this

#876 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13904 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Good year round beer drinking weather...
What am I saying, it's always beer drinking weather.

:wub:   You are soooo me..

• ink likes this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#877 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Burleigh with SEQ guys. Beautiful day.
First comp game and very possibly first 18 holes in 18 months. Played off 26 with slope.

Started badly. Just couldn’t hit the Ball cleanly plus 3 putting too. Wipe. Wipe. 1 point. Forced myself to relax and pulled it together to get 3x3 pointers and 3x2 pointers for 16 points out. Coming back 2x1 pointers one 3 pointer and the rest all 2’s for 17 and 33 points overall.

Flagged and dropped cap by .3 to 24.2.
So not too bad for my first proper outing for a year and a half. 99 off the stick I think so at least I broke 100.

Driver and 4 iron were good all day. One poor 4 iron duff.
Chips and little pitches and putting let me down. Again. Probably half a dozen 3 putts and duffed 2-3 little pitches/ chips badly. But at least I’m not feeling totally lost on the green like I have in the past and sank some good 4-5 footers.

Short game practice will continue. With a better short gam I’d have broken 90.

Edited by Toph, 27 May 2018 - 01:39 PM.

• Weetbix, ink, Tochakka and 1 other like this

#878 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

Question?

What's your practice plan?

How much time available, what does it go toward?

Do you have a plan for each area of your game? Driver, Irons, Approach shots, short game, putting?

As you saw yesterday I have developed my own short game practice to emulate on course play. I did it based off advice from my coach and stuff I read online. I have similar for all aspects of the game. I hate repetition. I get bored. I like to break up my sessions too.

But.

It is all linked to an overall plan as needed for each point in time. I've been working on a big swing change, so that's had the majority ofy time, with some short game to keep my feel.

What's your plan(s)?

#879 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

I plan to get a game with Upnin and Weets in late June. That is my plan, beyond that, I plan to get to the range before that game to see if I remember how to swing.
The plan for the range session will depend on who I am with. If is my brother in law, it will be milling around watching him belting balls helping him into the game. Or if it's with Placegetter, it will be milling around chatting about belting balls.
  • Weetbix likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#880 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Question?

What's your practice plan?

How much time available, what does it go toward?

Do you have a plan for each area of your game? Driver, Irons, Approach shots, short game, putting?

As you saw yesterday I have developed my own short game practice to emulate on course play. I did it based off advice from my coach and stuff I read online. I have similar for all aspects of the game. I hate repetition. I get bored. I like to break up my sessions too.

But.

It is all linked to an overall plan as needed for each point in time. I've been working on a big swing change, so that's had the majority ofy time, with some short game to keep my feel.

What's your plan(s)?

Long story short. Realised about 4 years ago I was crap at golf after not playing for decades. Went to pro for lessons. Over time discovered that I have every major swing flaw. OTT, no coil, casting, overswinging, poor setup. You name it. So I’ve had several swing overhauls. I think I’m starting to get a swing going.
My major losses on course are wayward tee shots with no consistency inaccurate irons and wedge with no consistency and crap putting. The Long game I hope will improve now the swing is getting there. But still a worknin progress. My short term (?) aim is to play to a 18 cap and the putting is the main thing holding me back.
So about 80% of my practice is putting and chips.
That’s 15 min in the garage some days. Maybe half an hour before work 1-2x week if I can. An hour or two at the range a week or 9 holes.
  • hack2489 likes this

#881 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

And yes, golf is a great time out from the multitude of things I have in my life. Especially at the range where I can zone out and concentrate on the swing and enjoy the Gold Coast outdoors.
  • Never Trendy and hack2489 like this

#882 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

Cool. You'll get the 18 cap fairly easy.

See how the putting goes in the next couple of weeks. You may have found some keys things causing circular issues leading to the lack of confidence.

Keep us posted on your progress.

#883 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Snuck up n a quick lesson with Joel the legend guru. This man is a genius.

These notes are for my own benefit so I don’t forget.

In short
Happy with set up and stance but a tendency to play ball a touch too forward. Also stance with Woods a touch too wide. He demonstrated with a hoola hoop how this little thing can make you have the low point of the swing too far back
Very happy with the progress I’ve made with right elbow more anterior during backswing. Almost perfectly on plane too.
Feet 10 degrees external rotation
So driver inside left heel, them moving the ball back for each club. Woods 2-3 inches inside left heel. 8 iron close to middle of stance. Shorter clubs don’t go back a whole lot from there.
I need to alter my stance slightly as over exaggerating forward lean of club. Arms hang down. 3 wood shaft looks slightly back lean if anything (but actually isn’t) check with mirror work. All clubs look much more lofted than I am used to.
Irons went much much higher , but not as far, but hopefully distance will improve with practice of the whole lesson.
Discussed why I can’t hit a fairway. Need to hit them like an iron trying to take a tiny tiny divot after the ball.
Then the big thing. After a good backswing with right shoulder rotation and club parallel to ground and on plane, complete back swing by thumbs up action - but on plane. Then hit the ball with the opposite hand motion. It’s a chop down with the hands/wrists BUT ON PLANE. To me it felt like a wood chopping axe motion where you want to chop a tree but with the blade of the axe hitting the wood at 45 degrees or so.
Weight goes to inside left heel and under 1st MC joint. Left hip pocket goes back and round.
I need to straighten left leg more in downswing. Tend to keep knee too flexed.
To emphasise this hand action he showed me the “Seve drill”. Hitting high soft flop shots out of the bunker progressively with P wedge working all the way up to 4 iron and I could do it. Laying the club flat with a flat shaft and working on that hand action. Wow.
Lots of practice to do here. I’m excited.
  • hack2489 likes this

#884 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5159 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

Jig saw puzzle wise I would equate this to getting 4 bits of blue sky together without forcing them and fitted into the top corner.

#885 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13181 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

What's up Doc?

18.4 by Dec. 2018