Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Read "A Round of Gold With Tommy Armour"

A little disappointed. I was hoping for some major new insights into course management, and in this regard it was sadly lacking. Most of his advice on course management relates to playing conservatively, thinking of a hole's architecture and playing to the right place on the fairway, being confident over water carries etc etc - i.e. nothing that revelatory. Its also hard to work out club selections etc being discussed for the simple reason that it was written in 1959 - they are taking 4 wood where we would take 4 iron today.

Also some of his instruction - e.g. regarding foot work - is out of date

But there are some nuggets hidden here I think e.g. 

1 - no borrow on 2 foot putts

2 - aim to miss a putt on the high side

3 - I like his idea of swinging rhythmically but smacking the ball away with the hands

4 - its sometimes worth laying up in light rough rather than fairway if it opens the green up

5 - good advice on grip and grip strength

So worth the read and probably worth a second read - read it in 1 evening anyway.

• Gilbert Grape likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#32 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11500 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

look I know I've said I won't give anymore advice after that one piece I gave to Weeti, but here goes... Actually no, it won't count because you'll be playing at a course for the very first time so you can't do it.

the best piece of course management I was given was play the hole backwards - from hole to the tee. This only works at a course you will play regularly.

Stand on the green in a spot the hole may be typically cut, look back from there to see where you would beat want to hit your ball from. By looking from the green you get a massively different perspective. You will see that maybe one side of the fairway is the "come from" zone or that you have a lot of space if you run the ball up from an area short...all those sorts of things that you can't see or feel from approaching the green.

take a sec when the others are putting at Reddy and look back down the fairway and see if there would have been a "better" position to come in from.

bumpun

OUT!

• Sandy and Gilbert Grape like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#33 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11500 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

then just put that in the memory bank for next time you play the hole and look to put your ball in that "come from" zone

• MaxxOn likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#34 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18114 posts
  • Location.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

look I know I've said I won't give anymore advice after that one piece I gave to Weeti, but here goes... Actually no, it won't count because you'll be playing at a course for the very first time so you can't do it.

the best piece of course management I was given was play the hole backwards - from hole to the tee. This only works at a course you will play regularly.

Stand on the green in a spot the hole may be typically cut, look back from there to see where you would beat want to hit your ball from. By looking from the green you get a massively different perspective. You will see that maybe one side of the fairway is the "come from" zone or that you have a lot of space if you run the ball up from an area short...all those sorts of things that you can't see or feel from approaching the green.

take a sec when the others are putting at Reddy and look back down the fairway and see if there would have been a "better" position to come in from.

bumpun
OUT!

I'm pretty sure Peter Thomson would walk the course backwards before each tournament he played.

#35 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

2 1/2 hours at Colonial range today - first practice session for weeks (hard during school holidays)

Stuck to the plan and spent 90% of it on short game

Realised I can hit 2-3 ft puts much harder than I have and as Tommy Armour says - no break on a 2 foot put

A crisp far edge to the cup allows for a harder strike than a worn rolled edge

Still not happy with my putting though. Long lag putts often left way short or slide several feet past. trying to gauge length by changing length of backswing

4 foot puts still scare me.

Worked on chip and runs with wedges and starting to get some feel there - liking the P wedge for this

Hit some good 40m P wedge short 1/3 length (hands to hip) low pitches

Also tried the 54 wedge out of the bunker - nice if lip low and need a bit more carry

3/4 P wedge seems to carry about 80-90m

3/4 9 iron 100-110

Tried Tommy's idea of rhythmical swing, hitting hard with hands esp R hand and (after a couple of bad uns) hit 10 great 6 irons to 155m carry. One and possibly a second hit the ground, 1 hop and smacked into the 160m post

Driver was good too.

Feel I can go into sundays game with a bit of confidence and a new chip and run shot that was sadly lacking - used to have it years ago in the UK but have left it out of my arsenal this year up till now.

READ EM AND WEEP

#36 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

bumpun

OUT!

Bump thats a great idea - have heard it before but forgotten it. Must remember to do it next time esp next time at one of the Gold Coast Courses where I play more often. Thanks. You should advise more often!

• MaxxOn likes this
READ EM AND WEEP

#37 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18114 posts
  • Location.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

He should advise more.

He ain't as silly as he dresses.

#38 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39088 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

That's interesting bump. At my level my course management is basically:
* Know my normal shot shape and my normal miss
* On the tee I am playing for my normal shot to the widest part of the fairway unless my normal miss on that shot will put me in a dead zone. If it will I'll adjust accordingly and take a bit more risk of finishing in a poor spot.
* After a bad drive I will take on a more positive shot if I feel that I have a decent chance of pulling it off with a good strike, and if the downside isn't dead. But dead zones are no go so I'll do what I have to to take them out of play.
* On approach shots it's very much like the thinking for the drive based around the center of the green. Play aggressive if your usual miss will be ok still.
* On par 5s I won't go for it if the punishment is severe. Bunkers are fine. Water is not.

And after all that if I hit a bad shot well stiff cheddar! That's golf.

I'll add that I generally take driver from the tee because I am basically equally consistent with it as I am with 4 hybrid. I don't try and swing them any differently and for me that means I an equally consistent with it.

In time when I take my stance with an expectation of hitting it well I will look to set myself up more from the tee but at the moment I am still at the "get it in play and then go from there" stage!

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#39 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39088 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm liking the PW for chip and runs too Injector. Seems to be a good middle ground with a low flight but still a bit of air time, but bounces low and straight. I'm happy to bounce it into and through a bit of grass first. It seems to handle that fine as long as its not deep gnarly rough.

Handicap

#40 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

I'm liking the PW for chip and runs too Injector. Seems to be a good middle ground with a low flight but still a bit of air time, but bounces low and straight. I'm happy to bounce it into and through a bit of grass first. It seems to handle that fine as long as its not deep gnarly rough.

Yeah - Ive been using only Sw so far which I'm variable with - sometimes hot, sometimes not. The PW gives a lot more room for error - a slight mishit will still get most of the way there

Years ago when I played as a youngster the 8 iron (modern 7 iron) was my fav - but I have to practice more with that - haven't got the feel for it yet.

READ EM AND WEEP

#41 Sandy

Sandy

El Presidente - now PG Rated!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4752 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

2 1/2 hours at Colonial range today - first practice session for weeks (hard during school holidays)
Stuck to the plan and spent 90% of it on short game
Realised I can hit 2-3 ft puts much harder than I have and as Tommy Armour says - no break on a 2 foot put
A crisp far edge to the cup allows for a harder strike than a worn rolled edge
Still not happy with my putting though. Long lag putts often left way short or slide several feet past. trying to gauge length by changing length of backswing
4 foot puts still scare me.
Worked on chip and runs with wedges and starting to get some feel there - liking the P wedge for this
Hit some good 40m P wedge short 1/3 length (hands to hip) low pitches
Also tried the 54 wedge out of the bunker - nice if lip low and need a bit more carry
3/4 P wedge seems to carry about 80-90m
3/4 9 iron 100-110
Tried Tommy's idea of rhythmical swing, hitting hard with hands esp R hand and (after a couple of bad uns) hit 10 great 6 irons to 155m carry. One and possibly a second hit the ground, 1 hop and smacked into the 160m post
Driver was good too.
Feel I can go into sundays game with a bit of confidence and a new chip and run shot that was sadly lacking - used to have it years ago in the UK but have left it out of my arsenal this year up till now.

I have something that will help your lag putting.... I will let u in in a little trick that works.... Talk to me Sunday I will show u. It's really basic....

Edited by Sandy, 18 January 2014 - 06:34 AM.

South East Queensland Golf Group

El Presidente

3 Time SEQGG Winner

#42 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Sandy. Basic works well with me.
  • Sandy likes this
READ EM AND WEEP

#43 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

SEQ ISG REDCLIFFE

A bit of a shocker with some good bits and some awful bits

Actually feel like my scores are worsening despite my game improving. Now forlornly hoping that score improvement may not be incremental but may be more stepwise! Feel like I'm due a step in the right direction. If scoring does not improve soon its going to be very disheartening.

105. ouch.

Not all bad though.

1 birdie (125m 13th. Easy 8 iron pin high but pushed, 20ft putt drained)

2 Pars

6 bogies

4 double bogie

2 triple bogies

2 quadruple bogies and 1 5Xbogie (Have not had a quad bogie or worse for a few rounds)

so in fact the round was ruined by 5 horror holes

e.g. - hole 1. Lovely drive, iron to 50m, then blade my sand wedge across green to lie next to a tree trunk. Instead of declaring unplayable I attempt a Seve save, move ball 1 inch down into dirt, repeat process, declare unplayable, chip onto green, 2 put for a 9.

Hole 10 - 2nd shot into bunker, splash out into next door bunker nearer the green, hit ball before sand shooting ball across green next to tree, declare unplayable, chip and put. Another 9. 

Also missed 2  2-3 ft putts.

Thats about 10 wasted stokes in just 2 holes and a couple of "Gimme" putts.

On the bright side Stableford points were 14 first 9, 18 second 9, and putting hugely better (apart from the above) thanks to Bob Rotella and Sandy's tip.

So where does this leave me? Back to working on short game I suppose.

Big day - started at 4.45. Feeling tired and frustrated. Not giving up yet though.

• Weetbix and The Robinator like this
READ EM AND WEEP

#44 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39088 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Nothing wrong with 32 points!

Well done

Handicap

#45 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Just read "Putting Out Of Your MInd"

I think this is a brilliant book. Its not a big book but you do get to the end and wonder why he took so long to say what he needs to say - but having said that it does not seem long winded or drawn out to me and I get the idea that it needs to be the length that it is.

When he describes the "bad" putter and the thoughts in his head he could be mind reading mi=y mind.

Main points for me

1 - dont think about mechanics when you swing - trust your natural feel and touch

2 - Look at the hole, look at the ball (maybe twice) then send it on its way - dont have a single thought in your head apart from a vision of the ball going in the hole as you swing, and don't pause - keep the rythm.

3 - think of yourself as a good putter and remember the good ones

4 - practice length only to the fringe or a tee or a marker - not a hole

5 - otherwise always practice with the aim of holing the putt, and concentrate on practicing short putts 3-7ft

6 - The light is always green - aim to make every single putt you hit

7 - don't worry about missed putts - they happen

8 - keep with the program whatever

9 - similar idea for pitches and chips. Chips you can either aim at where you want the ball to land or at the hole - whichever works for you

10 - In the clutch stick to the mental and physical routine you have ingrained

Read half this book before last game at Redcliffe the day before and it was a big help to me even then.

Highly recommended for everyone - especially anyone with doubts about their putting ability

I'm probably overyly optimistic, but at Redcliffe had 18 putts on front 9, including 2 X 2ft ones that missed, and 15 on back 9, including a 20 footer for birdie and tricky 6 footer for a par that went in, and only 1 X  3 putt all day. This is good for me and I feel much more confident, so hoping the putting woes will soon be behind me.

Must promise to never call myself a bad putter again!

• Sandy likes this
READ EM AND WEEP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users