#16 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39088 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

the one and only piece of advice I will ever give was to Weeti as part of his quest to be off single figures was, when he is playing with someone on single figures - watch and understand what makes their game "better" than yours and what they do that is good. 

I'm sure you've given others different advice!

Like **** off!

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#17 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I showed her a few packages but the bag has to have purple on it arrrrrrgh!
:)

Too easy, no comment..

• MaxxOn likes this

#18 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11500 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

I showed her a few packages but the bag has to have purple on it arrrrrrgh!
:)

Too easy, no comment..

loosen your grip champion, you are holding it too damn tight

• ink and MaxxOn like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#19 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11500 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm sure you've given others different advice!

Like **** off!

not me, not ever. I much prefer the subtle sarcastic crack :)

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#20 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

the one and only piece of advice I will ever give was to Weeti as part of his quest to be off single figures was, when he is playing with someone on single figures - watch and understand what makes their game "better" than yours and what they do that is good. 

A great example of this would have been watching Nath and how he goes about his chipping and how many shots he saves a round because of it. 

This sort of thing is absolutely free and simple. You don't need to tell them you are taking mental note or even talk to them about it, just watch and understand what the good players do good!

Comparing your game to someone who is better than you is a good way to see where you need to improve on.

And most importantly, if you watch someone who is off say 15 for example, I am sure there really won't be a whole lot of difference in the things you can do and what they do do. 

The best way for you to learn is to make a call on what advice you listen to, that is why I reckon the best way to do it is to watch and understand what you are seeing rather than hearing, if that makes a lick of sense....

Very true - Nath certainly took me to school on his short game, which was probably 80% of the (considerable) difference between our games.

Now can everyone stop hijacking my own personal little thread??? :blink:

probably not I would think! Stupid of me to suggest it. Will probably cop a barrage for suggesting it. Oh well.

• Sandy likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#21 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Robina Woods (Palmer Gold Coast) today with Sean

( Robina Woods is a fairly tough tree lined course with a little water)

Hung-over and only about 3 hours sleep

Will keep my promise not to go shot by shot

Numbers were

Par 71 (white tees)

Score 102 (not very happy)

Driving accuracy 71.4%

GIR 16.7%

Scrambling 6.7%

Sand saves 25%

Putting average 2. Number of putts 36  

Scores by par par 3 4.4, par 4 5.7, par 5 6.6

0% Birdie22% pars 28% bogey 50% DB or worse

So good things were that i was able to pull of some good up and downs that prevented blow outs being toooo catastrophic.

driving - only one slice, basically all drives were nice draws, I was able to aim Right side of fairway and draw back to the middle, hence no chopping out of the trees, which is quite a feat on this course 

3 and 4 woods off tee - poor,  a couple of tops and one snap hook and one hook into water.

irons generally happy with these

Putting pretty average - about 3 x 3 putts and 3x1 putts.

Chipping fairly good

Pitches still my week spot. Pushing them today - put about 3 pitches into right hand bunkers which should not have been in play

Blow outs - 1x9, 2x 8 Causes - on one hole took me 3 shots to get out of bunker which is not like me, on another put 2 shots into the drink ( first rolled back having initially cleared, then fatted pitch into drink), on last hole 6 iron trickled into drink, approach went way over, the chip back and 3 putted. AAAGH.

So all in all I know I am striking the ball soooo much better - have developed and in to out swing, and am reducing my cast

The frustrating thing is that despite the massive improvements in mid-long game just am not seeing the scoring reduce much

I presume this is the weak pitching, average chipping, and variable putting, plus probably some course management mistakes.

Still have to get the time to work hard on this aspect but just no time recently,

READ EM AND WEEP

#22 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Not much chance for golf recently but have been to the range a couple of times. Once with my 9 yr old son so a quick one that. Today 2 1/2 hrs. Stayed true to the plan and spent over 80% of my time on short game.
Frustrated by the I accuracy of my wedges. Seem to pull to the rleft a P            60.  90.lot. Straightened up my hips and shoulders and that helped a bit. Lots of fat shots too. May need to see my pro and check set up and ball position etc.
Hit better when I concentrate on FLW all the way through and hitting the lower half of the ball.
Working on putting at home indoors with perfect plane aid.
READ EM AND WEEP

#23 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2749 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Not much chance for golf recently but have been to the range a couple of times. Once with my 9 yr old son so a quick one that. Today 2 1/2 hrs. Stayed true to the plan and spent over 80% of my time on short game.
Frustrated by the I accuracy of my wedges. Seem to pull to the rleft a P            60.  90.lot. Straightened up my hips and shoulders and that helped a bit. Lots of fat shots too. May need to see my pro and check set up and ball position etc.
Hit better when I concentrate on FLW all the way through and hitting the lower half of the ball.
Working on putting at home indoors with perfect plane aid.

Sounds like the short game cost you at Robina Woods Injector. That course can be punishing if you don't chip and putt well.

#24 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Short game costs me every time I go out Danny

Thats why i have to work hard at it this year

Last outing at Robina I only had one hook into a lake and one drive that needed to be chipped out of the woods if that, all other tee shots were on the fairway or first cut. Not always far down the fairway, but on it nether the less.

My long game is now passable most of the time, putting average and sometimes good, chips average sometimes good, pitching sucks big time. Its got to the stage where I'm more confident with a mid iron than a wedge.

It's massively frustrating to be hitting the ball generally so much better, but not seeing the scores drop - and i know its all short game weakness.

Edited by Injector, 03 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

READ EM AND WEEP

#25 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Royal pines yesterday. God it's an open wide course after the other courses I've been on recently Driver easy choice on every tee apart from par 3's. Even I could drive over some of the bunkers
Played Ambrose. Hate Ambrose. So no true score to go on.
Drives basically good. A couple of slight pushes to just off right of fairway. A couple of heavy draws.
Fairways good. Strong draws no hooks
Irons quite good
Pitches better than before. Hallelujah.
Chips and putts all left short with a couple skulled a bit.
Otherwise no duff shots at all
On one par 4 320 m (?) hole drove to middle of green about 5-10 m short.
Had to leave hole 12 due to approaching storm and lightning. Never been told to leave a course before.
READ EM AND WEEP

#26 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Robina Woods

Par 71 (white tees)

Score 100 

Fairways hit  50%

GIR 5.6%

Scrambling 5.9%

Sand saves 0%

Putting average 2.11 Number of putts 38  

Scores by par par 3 4.3, par 4 5.7, par 5 6.7

0% Birdie 0% pars 6% bogey 44% DB or worse 50%

wipes 2

so putting let me down - 23 putts first 9, including 5 x 3 putts, 15 putts on way back

Driver once again best club in bag - lower fairways hit more due to missed par 3's

Fairways OK - 1 hook

Irons OK

Pitches better, still variable accuracy

chips OK

Bunkers - 2 of them, easy out each time one to 4 feet

1 duffed drive, 1 duffed fairway, 2 duffed irons.

The more I play this game the harder it seems to get.

Must continue to work on short game. Pitches, putting, and chip and runs. When I was younger in England I had a great chip and run shot that I have lost. Must get it back.

Played with Vision BOB ball and 2 drives over 220 m and one 250m - unheard off, esp. as conditions were quite damp from overnight rain.

Was very rusty front 9 - must try to warm up before a round or hit some balls the day before at least

Now accept that around 100 is my average score on a hard track. Plenty of room for Improvement.

Will try to play once a week this year in week day comp to hone the skills further.

Have 3 cards for handicap now, so must get it and then work on lowering it to the teens this year.

• Weetbix, Gilbert Grape and Noob Yoda © like this
READ EM AND WEEP

#27 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

First ever handicap obtained. 26.9. Now goal is to get it below 20 in 6 months
  • Weetbix, ink and Gilbert Grape like this
READ EM AND WEEP

#28 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2749 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

First ever handicap obtained. 26.9. Now goal is to get it below 20 in 6 months

Well done mate! If you play comp once a week and practice as you can that hcp will soon come down.

#29 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2749 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Robina Woods

Par 71 (white tees)

Score 100 

Fairways hit  50%

GIR 5.6%

Scrambling 5.9%

Sand saves 0%

Putting average 2.11 Number of putts 38  

Scores by par par 3 4.3, par 4 5.7, par 5 6.7

0% Birdie 0% pars 6% bogey 44% DB or worse 50%

wipes 2

so putting let me down - 23 putts first 9, including 5 x 3 putts, 15 putts on way back

Driver once again best club in bag - lower fairways hit more due to missed par 3's

Fairways OK - 1 hook

Irons OK

Pitches better, still variable accuracy

chips OK

Bunkers - 2 of them, easy out each time one to 4 feet

1 duffed drive, 1 duffed fairway, 2 duffed irons.

The more I play this game the harder it seems to get.

Must continue to work on short game. Pitches, putting, and chip and runs. When I was younger in England I had a great chip and run shot that I have lost. Must get it back.

Played with Vision BOB ball and 2 drives over 220 m and one 250m - unheard off, esp. as conditions were quite damp from overnight rain.

Was very rusty front 9 - must try to warm up before a round or hit some balls the day before at least

Now accept that around 100 is my average score on a hard track. Plenty of room for Improvement.

Will try to play once a week this year in week day comp to hone the skills further.

Have 3 cards for handicap now, so must get it and then work on lowering it to the teens this year.

Par 3's don't count for FIR.

#30 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Learn sumthin new everyday!
READ EM AND WEEP