192 replies to this topic

#31 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Site is looking good David. Doesn't look overly unready. Thankfully, the bar isn't raised as high on opening expectations here as it might be at a $50-100 Mornington Peninsula opening. For the money to be paid, the course will be in great nick and be very impressive in comparison to the others nearby. Because even most basic tracks cost $18-20 or more now, the value will be astounding.

#32 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

TT
Your right the bar not being raised as high on other opening expections eg St Andrews
Have you actually been on the course like walked a couple of the holes.

As I live not very far from Growling Frog I am rapt with the councils decision to build this course and spend plenty on it.

We will see how we go when it opens

#33 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:00 PM

I have a friend who owns quite a few acres of farmland with rolling hills and plenty of dams in Mernda, who has been offered quite a lot of money over the years by developers to build a golf resort.
I havent spokent to him in the last couple of years but when I last did he was telling me he had been offered multiple millions of dollars to sell up. I wonder if he finally caved in.

#34 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

VJ

Your right VJ, the rumour is that Bruce Maithieson(Pokie King) has a number of acres around Whittlesea area and is seeking approval for residential/golf resort. It was in the local rag. I believe it is just waiting approval from the council and state government. I reckon its going to happen.

#35 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

I love it how Bruce's name can never get mentioned without mention of the pokies. He's also one of my bosses now, as he is in an enormous partnership with Woolworths to open yet another few dozen Dan Murphy stores around the nation. One of his joint endeavours at Chelsea Heights is up and going now.

#36 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:01 PM

That is a pisser, but he made a killing from the pokies and it looks like he is getting into various other projects. Lets hope this devlopment gets approval. Who knows I may be living on a golf course in the near future?

#37 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

Correction: Lets hope it gets approval if its a good development that a golfer would value. Not if it is a poor one. Both types exist, and a poor one is not better than nothing at all.

#38 kinghg

kinghg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

Tithers,

It all makes sense now. I was wondering why Bruce would allow a Dan Murphy's behind his Chelsea Heights Pub. Amazing what you find out in forums.

#39 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:01 PM

The Graham Marsh "Mail in"

So about this course, what of the system used (like a gps and laser combination) to construct it from the mapped design?

By utilising this, it is a course about which it must be said, has involved little site input from Marsh. Does this imply either that the system is revolutionary and a wonderful advance for mail-in courses, or that an associate of Marsh deserves a rightful close second billing (or first!) as being crucial to the course's real design outcomes?

#40 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:53 AM

The website http://www.growlingfrog.com.au says its opening in September.
Anoyne got any news as to a specific date??

#41 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

I took a drive out there on Saturday arvo. I reckon it could open in September sometime. Still a allot of work going on around the clubhouse etc. The clubhouse is complete and car parks etc. Just need some landscaping around the clubhouse.

I had a look at two holes, the first and the tenth, both downhill Par 4's. All the fairway's, tee boxes, bunkers and greens look in good condition. I have actually played on worse courses then what this one looks like at the moment. Interesting to see that they have a big rock on each hole with a picture of the hole instead of the standard wooden hole guide. Good idea I reckon.

All I can suggest is that they are waiting to finish the landscaping around the clubhouse and car park and then they will open.

#42 sirswingalot

sirswingalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:32 AM

the course is now open :mrgreen: (according to the website anyway).

so whos going to be the first to hit the links and post a review?

#43 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:57 AM

Awesome! I'm down in 2 weeks. Just gotta organise the boys to get out and play... :roll:

#44 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

My typically way-too-long-and-boring review probably won't be until late October. I have another Ranfurlie game, a Maffra/Sale day, a 36 hole event at Sorrento/Portsea, Metro with a mate and the all important Champions Cup V at Thirteenth Beach all coming up shortly.

#45 TheGasman

TheGasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

I wish I was ttithers, or at least a friend of his! :oops:

You're my hero, so much golf at so many different courses. I am very jealous. Plus you make many a quality informative post here too. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users